Style of Chain tensioner i used

Iron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi there

i would like to build  racing carbon  29er mtb with 3 gear speed hub and EBB ,I was looking to get On-One Lurcher Carbon Hardtail 29er Frame. On -one  suggested this option Bottom Bracket Shell 92mm Pressfit,what crank can i use(carbon ?)

Question is is that size frame 92 mm will fit EBB (still need get one) ? .Do i need get MTB Filler Shim ??.

Can you fit EBB on the Chinese carbon  frame ?

Thank you

• 4 months later...

I got a simple tensioner from Kiwi, but I didn't like the downwards tension method.

Went to the local truck trailer spares shop & got a spring which is winded the other way around.

Now it pushes up instead of down & the chain covers around 70% of the cog's teeth.

It can now handle both 17T & 16T cogs without any hassle.

Yet to take the 16T out on a bumpy ride & get true trail time on it.

post-25067-0-80037300-1427478084_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-10176300-1427478136_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-28377700-1427478146_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-44802200-1427478209_thumb.jpg

I got a simple tensioner from Kiwi, but I didn't like the downwards tension method.

Went to the local truck trailer spares shop & got a spring which is winded the other way around.

Now it pushes up instead of down & the chain covers around 70% of the cog's teeth.

Yet to take the 16T out on a bumpy ride & get true trail time on it.

That's clever. I would only think that the spring would also need to be a little stronger too, because it now bears the downward weight of the chain and has to hold it up through the Bumpy stuff rather than just countering upward chain momentum. But I like it.

The spring I used is a stiffer / harder / stronger than the original, but the fact that it pushes up & engage so much better helps a lot.

The spring is 2mm thick.

The photo of my 'new' spring is actually the other half of it.

• 4 months later...

Went to the local truck trailer spares shop & got a spring which is winded the other way around.

Does the internal Spring design have a lot less sideways play than the crap external spring On-One and 4-jery versions?

Even though it's a bit 'costlier' I still go with the half link 'tensionerless' option .... looks super cool and clean but one needs to replace it quite often, at least when you ride it as much as me  :wacko:

Even though it's a bit 'costlier' I still go with the half link 'tensionerless' option .... looks super cool and clean but one needs to replace it quite often, at least when you ride it as much as me  :wacko:

I think for you a proper SS frame with no need for a tensioner is the next logical step

I think for you a proper SS frame with no need for a tensioner is the next logical step

Yip, would love that, What about those eccentric BB30 thingy's, any good? Cost ....

Yip, would love that, What about those eccentric BB30 thingy's, any good? Cost ....

Can't honestly answer as I have never used a BB30 eccentric thingi ma bob yet.

I have the Surly tensioner, which comes with a second spring (and admittedly a special price) allowing it to be set up like this. Looks neater and works pretty well.

I couldn't see any difference in wire diameters, so guessing the stiffness is pretty much the same for both.

post-26680-0-60330800-1439981369_thumb.jpg

Archived