Assos Vs Castelli - Which?

T-Bob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried and bought many brands of bibshorts over the years.

My current favorite is the Vermarc bibs (about R800 a pair). The previous generation of Assos shorts were also more comfy than my current Assos FI Mille and FI13 shorts. I've actually passed these on to my wife as she seems to enjoy them more than what I do.

Well having used both Castelli and Assos I can comment as follows:

The top of the range Castelli are very good, I use mine for over a year now. Very nice detailing with differing materials used. Down sides are the big round red decal wears off eventually and looks shabby, but great bib shorts - chamois insert is thin but hi-tech material heat absorbing material.

I also have an entry level pair with their 'Kiss' chamois, not that great, but thats what you get for little money - fine to mess around on the mtb.

The uno is one of the entry level Assos bib short, I have used the Uno and F1 Mille, and like them both. Chamois is nice and thick and comfortable, good for long periods in the saddle. The bib shorts fit extremely well and comfortably, no creep of the chamois or loose fabric as one gets with Atomic for instance. It is well designed. Minimal branding also makes assos stay neat and attractive longer.

At the end of the day, both are good, I would say Assos are slightly more comfortable and good value. (Despite the snide comments above)

At the end of the day, both are good, I would say Assos are slightly more comfortable and good value. (Despite the snide comments above)

In your OPINION!

Why are they snide comments?

Thanks for the opinions.

I used to ride exclusively Descente back in the day and since getting back in the saddle over here in SA I've had two pairs of First Ascent shorts that were both horrible. Not adverse to cheaper shorts (the Giordana's get good reviews) but the run the same kind of chamois as the FA's that have done nothing but ride up and rub in places there shouldn't be rub.

PM ETXEONDO on the Hub for a killer price on imported ETXEONDO bibs.

Will check them out....

I personally think Assos are over rated and are very expensive for what you get, Castelli make decent kit, if it were my money, I'd go for the Castelli.

+ 1

I personally think Assos are over rated and are very expensive for what you get, Castelli make decent kit, if it were my money, I'd go for the Castelli.

I think it was my very first, or maybe second, sponsored ride, I wore Castelli kit. Top notch stuff it is.

In your OPINION!

Why are they snide comments?

Chubba, yes in my opinion. take a pill. "All three brands spells "w@nker" is pretty much over the top, IN MY OPINION.

Chubba, yes in my opinion. take a pill. "All three brands spells "w@nker" is pretty much over the top, IN MY OPINION.

Pretty chilled, 30 mins to home time!

Assos Mille is branded as the long-distance short in their range.

Slightly above R 1500 though where I buy. Like 1900 moola-ish.

Never tried the other brands.

Can always recommend Assos.

Assos Mille is branded as the long-distance short in their range.

Slightly above R 1500 though where I buy. Like 1900 moola-ish.

For sure, I was looking at the Assos Uno S5 for that price (around R1500) to be honest to compare with the Castelli Aero. Have found a place selling the Uno for a paltry R950 (overseas of course) compared with the Castelli for about R1200 and the Giordana lasers for R1300.

Decision made... Going with a pair of the Castelli Aero Team bibs (R1000) and then a nice back up of 2011 Giordana silverline (R405) - delivery from the US was the same for 2 items as 1 @ $30. Cheapest I could find my size Assos was about R1250 but then there was delivery (possibly tax & duties) to SA on top & /or VAT if sent to the UK and brought over.

Very keen to get out of my current shorts and into something decent. Cheers for all the advice on this one - legends, one and all!