Steep Descending Switchbacks (MTB)

zaslinger

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best tip I got : Pivot your hips towards the corner (pushing your outside leg, which is pedal down, towards the frame of the bike)

It will feel like the bike wants to fall over the first couple of times as you corner, but you get used to it and control it later on!

Best tip I got : Pivot your hips towards the corner (pushing your outside leg, which is pedal down, towards the frame of the bike)

It will feel like the bike wants to fall over the first couple of times as you corner, but you get used to it and control it later on!

that's for corners in general, but if the switchback is really tight, there's not space for the length of the bike. So leaning it wont get u anywhere.

Take a line high on the outside of the corner, cut into the apex by turning on the bars instead of trying to lean the bike, (might have to come to a stop here), balance, swing/bounce the rear around till you lined up with the exit, and continue on. This is where knowing how to trackstand has very high value. Works awesomely if clipped in.

@Marius, I thought the big bike comment was directed at the 29er crowd.

If I had to take a barge down the bridal path I might also drag the occasional brake.

My tip: Lean your body and the bike into the corner, brake beforehand, and keep focussed on the exit. And do it over and over until it becomes natural.

This sounds the wrong way round to me, unless you want to do a stoppy and lift the back wheel to swing it around. Anything else and you are going over the bars or sliding your front wheel out, both ways you are going to go down.

Well it works for me. Bring the back wheel through by swinging it from the front.

But that's only on the VERY steep and sharp switchbacks, otherwise its just the back brake.

But since the topic title is "steep descending switchbacks" I thought I'd give advice on how I handle those particular ones.

Of course everyone is different...

Ok so I was a bit stressed out this morning, but I just hate it when people give a certain class/rider the blame for trail erosion etc (be it a downhill bike, trail bike, 29'er or 26'er). It takes a conscious effort from everyone to ride the track in a responsible way that creates as few as possible problems for the guy that needs to maintain it in the end. But yeah my wording was probably a bit harsh so my apologies for that.

Anyway to get back on topic, with switchbacks Id recommend that you decide what speed you want to go before the actual turn, then try and keep that speed when in the turn. Basically the braking needs to be done before the turn.You can now focus on your line. Give yourself enough room by initially going wide enough then cutting into the apex of the turn so that the actual turn curve is as "flat" as possible (hope this sentence makes sense). As soon as you start to exit the turn you can start pedalling again, out of the turn.

Another thing if the turn is steep then you def want to keep your heels down and your body low to prevent yourself from being pushed forward over the bars. Extend your arms a bit and move backwards, but not so much that your arms are completely locked out. If the turn is flat or off-camber you want to lean the bike separate from your body so that you are pushing down into the sideknobs, otherwise if there is a berm of some sort you can lean with the bike and push into the berm.

Pedals horizontal is good - but more important - drop your weight into your heel & drop your heels!.

That - combined with moving your weight back will stop the - flying over the bar!

Turn with your hips - not your arms - you can go faster and be more stable.

Keep trying - see my signature for motivation!

^^^ THIS man knows what he's talking bout ;)

A little nose wheelie throwing the back end out can also line you up for the exit of a corner.

This sounds the wrong way round to me, unless you want to do a stoppy and lift the back wheel to swing it around. Anything else and you are going over the bars or sliding your front wheel out, both ways you are going to go down.

you guys mean like this?