Cricket......

E1A104

No-one should wonder why our great stadiums are only 25% full when SA takes on the nr 1 side in the world. Cricket in SA has no more pride or heart to it. Just a weak philosophy of justifying every soft loss or the passing up the opportunity to make history when it comes by. These dimwits think that a 80% or 90% win/draw rate will make them great; it won't. What makes you great is spirit, of which we have none. To get the chance to make history and not going for it just to try and keep up a mediocre record is spineless.

On the upside: more time for me to go cycling...

Got to agree Snytjie, everyone remembers the 438 odi but who is going to remember this game even if we lost it. How can you not go for the record? Sorry to say this is one of the reasons I think SA will never win the world cup, no killer instinct. There is no way the Aussies would have gone for the draw. I think this decision was the coaches, probably got a win lose clause in his contract.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo they decided to stop going after the win after Faf got run out. I also dont blame him, he must have been very tired at that point and were not so quick on his feet.

Edited by Christie

roll on the apologists...

just throw their wickets away. u make it sound like a forgone conclusion. What utter rubbish and negative mentality!

just dont forget we chased 438 under way more trying circumstances. Today, the protea's stole a stalemate from the jaws of victory. Really weak sauce.

ag pleez, don't show your ignorance - the 438 was a once off freak game played on a surface prepared for batting with smaller boundaries and fielding restrictions.

Got to agree Snytjie, everyone remembers the 438 odi but who is going to remember this game even if we lost it. How can you not go for the record? Sorry to say this is one of the reasons I think SA will never win the world cup, no killer instinct. There is no way the Aussies would have gone for the draw. I think this decision was the coaches, probably got a win lose clause in his contract.

play 5 odi's on the same pitch in 5 days, take away fielding restrictions, allow wider and leg side deliveries. on the fifth day most sides would battle to put to ball. it would b a lottery.

pity the ICC or whoever rules cricket haven't the balls to ban T20

Edited by ccc2

play 5 odi's on the same pitch in 5 days, take away fielding restrictions, allow wider and leg side deliveries. on the fifth day most sides would battle to bat onto ball.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing to do with sport.

IMO The draw was the safest option, I was very upset that they didn't go for the win I think it showed a bit of cowardliness on our side but If we had lost the test in the last over I would of been seriously pissed off that we didn't play safe.

At the start of day 5 it was definitely Dohni's test match to loose, AB and Faf played amazingly to take us home.

I thought everyone played well, I was a bit disappointed with JP's performance he lost his wicket at two very crucial moments in the game.

It is a series. All to play for now in Durbs. Tahir and Morkel could not bat due to inability and injury.

They would have had to hit sixes with 9 indian fielders on the boundaries. Not something you would back a 8 and number 9 to do. Indian bowled bouncers. How do you hit a bouncer for six?

If they tried they most likely would have gone out.......

It is very obvious that most people do not understand the difference between Tests and 20/20.....

Had they tried and lost the match I would love to have heard what Y'all have had to say............

It is a series. All to play for now in Durbs. Tahir and Morkel could not bat due to inability and injury.

They would have had to hit sixes with 9 indian fielders on the boundaries. Not something you would back a 8 and number 9 to do. Indian bowled bouncers. How do you hit a bouncer for six?

It is very obvious that most people do not understand the difference between Tests and 20/20.....

Had they tried and lost the match I would love to have heard what Y'all have had to say............

If 9 Indian fielders were on the boundary then why did we not push the ball and run singles, we required less than a run a ball and singles would of put the world of pressure on Dohni and we would of had to bring the field in to stop the singles.

I would of liked to have seen us put more pressure on Dohni

play 5 odi's on the same pitch in 5 days, take away fielding restrictions, allow wider and leg side deliveries. on the fifth day most sides would battle to put to ball. it would b a lottery.

You probably right I think I am just one of those guys that is too competitive I try to win at all costs. Didn't listen to my mother that told me its ok to lose it builds character. Fortunately I didn't like kissing my sister so I hated draws too.

I guess some SA people are just happy for the draw because they are so scared of what if we lost.

I am from Cape Town and there are two guys we loved to hate one was Naas Botha and the other was Clive Rice these guys played to win. Read Clives views on News24 here is one line from it.

"I believe a team should at all times have a winning mentality and South Africa did not have that"

If 9 Indian fielders were on the boundary then why did we not push the ball and run singles, we required less than a run a ball and singles would of put the world of pressure on Dohni and we would of had to bring the field in to stop the singles.

I would of liked to have seen us put more pressure on Dohni

Because Philander was facing. If Steyn where on strike he would have brough a few in to prevent the single.

Do you really think Dhoni would have left everyone on the boundary when we required less than a run a ball (by the way this was not the case after FAF was run out - see how ypou "singles" theory worked out for us there)

The cricket (and rugby for that matter) are the most demanding crowd to please ever.

The Proteas had no right to even draw that match. They where outplayed for 4 days by India and somehow managed to get out of jail on day 5. A draw is a fair result.

Guess what, its a series so they can still win it this coming weekend.

Yet people are still pissing and moaning because two bowlers took the safe option whilst India where bowling bouncers with the field back.

I guess this is the problem with South Africa. You will always choose to find something negative instead of actually saying well played.... Its a bloody sports match, not a matter of life and death. Its called entertainment and it is unpredictable. Some you win, some you don't. if you don't like it move on.....

Like Christie wrote and a bit of expansion on the point:

It is not the responsibility of the tail to chase wining runs, but batsmen.

When Faf fell short in that run out, it was a good decision to safe the game.

How the Proteas got into a position to nearly clinch it, was quite remarkable.

why on earth did we need sixes? :huh:

the last 5/6 overs we only needd the singles, they just needed bat on ball! not the leave everything and concede maidens.

this is not a series, its 2 test matches (well thats not a series in my books anyway)

Rice is being an @sshole. He would not have had his name mentioned in the media if he said they did the right thing. The plan was simple - go for the win, till the tailenders come in.

How about this for reasons we did not win:

Blame Smith for getting run out?

Blame the umpire for the Kallis howler, and blame BCCI for no DRS?

Blame Alviro and JP for poor shots?

Yes Dale

And people here don't understand Test cricket. The term "A run a ball" is not applicable. Bowl 3 x bouncers per over from which the batsmen cannot score. There goes the "run a ball theory" out the window.

The previous day Faf made the game slower by complaining about bad light the whole time... How he wished he had those extra overs came day 5.....

If we must point a finger then maybe Duminy can be blamed somewhat