Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the impacts of Smith's retirement is that he will now be able to play for Surrey as a non-overseas player due to his Irish citizenship. The first year of his deal was cut short by his need for ankle surgery. When he signed his contract with Surrey there were suggestions at the time that he could end his South Africa career there and then.

cricinfo

OK enough sentiment. Now for the big question... Who will replace him?

Alviro - is probably on "strike 2" with his own form. Replacing one out of form player as captain with another is a bad idea, although it would make a bit of political sense.

Elgar - not a regular in the side

Amla - didn't want the job before, I wonder if they would be able to tempt (read con) him into it?

AB - the natural choice, but then they will have to look at QdK to keep to free AB up a bit

Faf - I like his energy, but the ball tampering incident has put a serious question mark against his integrity IMO

Vern - Imagine having a captain just looking at his fielders to get them into the right position. Cause that's how the Vern rolls.

Dale - imagine having 3 slips, 2 gullies and a leg slip...

I'd go with Thami :thumbup:

I am no smith fan...but I think his retirement is premature...he still has SO much more to offer SA cricket....that said it is likely the part of smith I dont like that has brought on this decision...his character...I may even go as far as to say it is a selfish decision

Wonder what impact this has on the morale of the team for the last two days of the test?

looks like its going to an Aus series win......nothing grates me more than losing to the Australians

It grates me more when we lose against the English...In any sport.

I am no smith fan...but I think his retirement is premature...he still has SO much more to offer SA cricket....that said it is likely the part of smith I dont like that has brought on this decision...his character...I may even go as far as to say it is a selfish decision

This smacks of when he scurried of to Ireland of that failed world cup, and sent his team home to face the music without him.

Neither am I but his on field stats speak volumes.

Spot on... he should have played his next test in December 14 against a West Indies side in SA and get another series win and then he should have taken the Feb 15 series win against Zim as well instead of giving the new captain 2 of the easier home series to settle in.

Smith's announcement came in at 1:50 AM last night, according to Radio 2000

Hmmmm

What's happening behind the scenes?

Very premature

Poor timing

Hmmmm

What's happening behind the scenes?

Very premature

Poor timing

Saw the news on the twitters when I woke up, and then the sport report on Jacaranda fm, the guy says "what's going on in the background? Something must have happened for it to break like this".

Judging by comments on sport24 et al I don't blame. We are so fickle and lack understanding as to how good a player and captain he has been.

Do you think in lets say New Zealand, they would criticize their captain, who has a superb international record, and led them to number one, who hasn't lost an away series in 5/6 years this way?

Did Ponting get this kind of abuse when, Aus under his watched slipped to number 5 or 6 in the world?

Do we, as supporters (South Africans) truly think we deserve to win or be the best all the time, oblivious to the talents of other players/countries?

Graeme, youwill always be a hero to SA cricket, well at least those with an appreciation and understanding for the sport.

As to the timing, perhaps it could galvanize the squad "Lets do it for Biff?"

Saw the news on the twitters when I woke up, and then the sport report on Jacaranda fm, the guy says "what's going on in the background? Something must have happened for it to break like this".

Article said he told his team mates after close of play yesterday

http://www.espncrici...ory/725121.html

Many people will not understand why the end should come now but the truth is that it has been coming for some time. Almost a month before the day Smith announced his decision to walk away, he gave his first hint that he would do so. He posted a picture on Instagram of his wife and and two young children with the caption. "Always miss these guys when away!..... last one I promise." Now we know what that meant.

Edited by Stretch

Article said he told his team mates after close of play yesterday

That is after the close of play, isn't it?

It is an oddity that RSA doesn't really appreciate it's best cricketers. Smith one of the most successful openers/captains ever but splits opinion, Kallis on stats the greatest cricketer of all time but appreciated more outside SA, even Hashim for a long time half the country wanted Neil McKenzie instead! All of them need a bit of work on their personalities but in Australia they'd be running for President.