Cricket......

E1A104

Interview with Hash, liked this

Question: You made a bit of history with SA’s first ODI series win here – how much would it mean to you and the players to actually win this series?

Amla: From a test perspective, it would mean a hell of a lot. Not many teams have come here and won a test series. So it’s in the back of our minds. But in the front of our minds is having a nice cup of tea and enjoying this win.

...a nice cup of tea, wouldn't get that from previous captains :whistling: :eek:

http://www.supersport.com/cricket/sa-team/news/140720/I_wanted_the_best_chance_of_winning

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so it looks like India can go 1-0 up on blightey.

201/7 - Eng need 118 runs, 50+ overs still.

Were at 170/4, balance swung back india's way, but they will need to get rid of Joe Root

ok, Root gone, all over.

3 wickets in 3 overs, all caught pulling against the short ball. might be something to do with the betting odds in karachi.

ok 2ND test starts tomorrow in Sri Lanka.

Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to our winning combination.

The hosts have gone for a knee jerk move of note, dropped the keeper and got the next guy in line out from their A tour in england. In a long list of funny Ceylon names, he is an unknown mr Dickwella.

Interesting that using sankakara as a keeper is never an option to bolster the batting(similiar to b mccullum for nz). For that reason, I think AB might stay in the outfield for longer than his hamstring stays a little tight.

Stats and trivia

Sri Lanka have not lost a match at SSC since March 2004, against Australia

After Galle, Steyn now has two five-wicket hauls in the three matches he has played in Sri Lanka. His first five-for in the subcontinent came at the P Sara Oval in 2006

Morne Morkel needs four wickets to reach 200 Test scalps

Quotes

"We will go all out to try and win this Test. If we lose 2-0 it doesn't matter, as long as we play well.

Angelo Mathews

"Test cricket is a challenging place. I'm sure he will come good. It just takes a few good performances. He is one of the most highly skilled legspinners in the world."

Hashim Amla hinted strongly that South Africa are willing to give Imran Tahir a few more chances

Good start by SA. Vern is bowling as well as I have ever seen him bowl. Fielders holding onto catches and a bit of luck and patience will help though.

It has been a good toss to win through this tour, and Sri Lanka did that on what has turned out be another sedate SSC pitch. But Steyn fired out Tharanga and Sangakkara. South Africa released the pressure by having lollipop spin from both ends, before Duminy was brought back just before lunch and Silva took the bait. Jayawardene has already motored to 53 at his favourite venue. We will be back at 12.40 pm with more thrills

Got to feel for big Vern a bit, looks like he's bowling really well without reward, hit the stumps without the ball going off last week and now even drop chances in the slips. BUT in saying that, he's been on such a golden run for so long.

Laaaank interesting move by SL selectors, only going with one seamer.

SL looking strong ... need some wickets and honestly I think this might be Tahirs last test ...

No wickets by Vern is not necessarily bad, if he can apply the pressure of good line & length & get good seam with the new ball, that just opens the door for the other bowlers to take wickets, Team Effort I suppose.

onto the tail already, so to speak. well done duminy for breaking another partnership. looks like big vern is bowling tight on a flat flat track. hopefully mahela doesn't set a new highest score at this ground.

Yup, got to agree on Immie running out of chances. 14 tests is enough time to stake your place - he's averaging 45 @ 3.5 rpo with a 76 strike rate. his first class figures from 170 matches(a shedload) are 26 @3.2 and a 48 strike rate.

Weird thing is actually doing so damn well in the odi/t20 team where a lot more control is required.

taahir needs to flight the ball more, and have his shrink on hand to deal with the pressure afterward, preferably in game.

in his first few years, Shane Warne's stats were abysmal, but they stuck with him. I fully agree with those who believe Taahir shuold be given a lot of game time, almost irrespective of the stats. This desire for instant success is just rubbish. Everything takes time, and he needs it. The man can spin the ball many ways. he has got the skill set, but its that fragile mind that bothers me. hiring and firing him is not helping.

Edited by Capricorn

Gotta check that run rate now.

Way too much.

Nice wicket by JP D' - lazy footwork by the 'Lankan batter.

Pitch looks as flat as a pannekoek, no lateral, no bounce, yawn

onto the tail already, so to speak. well done duminy for breaking another partnership. looks like big vern is bowling tight on a flat flat track. hopefully mahela doesn't set a new highest score at this ground.

Yup, got to agree on Immie running out of chances. 14 tests is enough time to stake your place - he's averaging 45 @ 3.5 rpo with a 76 strike rate. his first class figures from 170 matches(a shedload) are 26 @3.2 and a 48 strike rate.

Weird thing is actually doing so damn well in the odi/t20 team where a lot more control is required.

taahir needs to flight the ball more, and have his shrink on hand to deal with the pressure afterward, preferably in game.

in his first few years, Shane Warne's stats were abysmal, but they stuck with him. I fully agree with those who believe Taahir shuold be given a lot of game time, almost irrespective of the stats. This desire for instant success is just rubbish. Everything takes time, and he needs it. The man can spin the ball many ways. he has got the skill set, but its that fragile mind that bothers me. hiring and firing him is not helping.

The guy is in his mid 30's .. how many seasons should they invest in him. 15 games / 30 innings is more than enough time. We certainly wouldn't continue with an opening bat that averages 17 would we? Rather blood in a youngster whilst we have a very strong attack to support him.

The guy is in his mid 30's .. how many seasons should they invest in him. 15 games / 30 innings is more than enough time. We certainly wouldn't continue with an opening bat that averages 17 would we? Rather blood in a youngster whilst we have a very strong attack to support him.

the question is Do We have a young quality spinner to take his place?

the question is Do We have a young quality spinner to take his place?

We have never had a quality spinner in test,

what we could do with is someone who can keep it tight (to keep some pressure off our quicks) and can bat a bit.

We can develop Duminy in the meantime to be a quality all rounder.

I would prefer playing Abbot at this rate,

or give Piedt a go and see.