Cricket......

E1A104

Is QdK out for ODIs?

He is one of my magic batters for the World Cup.

6 to 12 weeks. They'll pull out all the stops to get him fit for the WC.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amla has been taking some superb catches at slip hey

Some in the basket; some trickier

Yes. And I think Alviro got thrown a life line with his own catching and the absence of QdK.

In hindsight I think it was a very good decision. His top order got a good run, his bowlers got just over 100 overs in. The only real casualty is QdK who is missing the rest of the series. It will be interesting to see whether the selectors go with a keeper (Villas or will they be sentimental and go for Tsolikile) or a backup batsman. I'd like to see a bit of Bavuma. He fielded out of his skin while subbing yesterday and today.

in hindsight of hindsight it turned out ok... this time.

My comment was purely based on philanderer & Steyn at the time who had injury concerns. The guys have not played test cricket in months, so maybe should've given them a break. Physio's must've literally pulled a rabbit out of hat over night. Nice come back there Sa.

I am sure we will not be required to bat again. I call a win to SA by close of play tomorrow. I like the confidence shown by Amla. I am sure Dale and Vern will be fit to bowl tomorrow. 7 wickets to get and an extra day's recovery time (hopefully).

good call

in hindsight of hindsight it turned out ok... this time.

My comment was purely based on philanderer & Steyn at the time who had injury concerns. The guys have not played test cricket in months, so maybe should've given them a break. Physio's must've literally pulled a rabbit out of hat over night. Nice come back there Sa.

I understood at the time that it was cramp, but I also had a little bit of a sinking feeling when both our strike bowlers left the park. If was interesting to see van Zyl bowl. I recon that with a bit of work he could fulfill the 6th bowler role well on slower pitches. Much like Hansie did in the 90's.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, last test innings for alviro?

Since beginning of 2013 - 17 tests, he's averaging just 27. and 16 tests since a century.

There was a stat on the radio about how he has the highest percentage of scores between 20 and 49, for all test players EVER!

things are also down for vern (he's still #4 on the rankings, but it's sliding south quickly)

same period Vern averages 26 with the ball which is ok. interestingly his batting ave for this time is 33, so more than Alviro.

but in 2014 he averaged 47 with the ball. Some of that is to do with the pitches we've been playing on, but i think a lot of batters have learnt just to leave him better.

Vern does have age on his side...alviro, is 34. time to slot van zyl or rilee in with elgar

Edited by Shebeen

another player on the radar who impressed today - Kane Williamson, 242* against sri lanka.

he's averaging 60 for the last two years and easily NZ best batter now. only 24 so much more to come from him. should break into the top10 soon

Soooo, last test innings for alviro?

Since beginning of 2013 - 17 tests, he's averaging just 27. and 16 tests since a century.

There was a stat on the radio about how he has the highest percentage of scores between 20 and 49, for all test players EVER!

things are also down for vern (he's still #4 on the rankings, but it's sliding south quickly)

same period Vern averages 26 with the ball which is ok. interestingly his batting ave for this time is 33, so more than Alviro.

but in 2014 he averaged 47 with the ball. Some of that is to do with the pitches we've been playing on, but i think a lot of batters have learnt just to leave him better.

Vern does have age on his side...alviro, is 34. time to slot van zyl or rilee in with elgar

Im not to concerned about Vern.  just experiencing some bad luck at this stage.  He's not bowling bad at all,  steyn went through the same thing a while back

I agree, but there must be some admiration for the way selectors backed him all the way. With the series not really in doubt they may have been tempted to either bring in Hendricks or to move up van Zyl to the opening berth. The question will loom largely in 6 months time when they tour Bangladesh. I'd like to see van Zyl opening with Elgar.

Harmer did himself no harm (no pun intended) and it would be interesting to see whether they will play Piedt and Harmer in the sub continent. That would mean that a bowler would miss out. On current form it will have to be the Vern. Bavuma will lose out to Duminy who could also contribute with the ball in the sub continent.

Its good to see the fringe players putting up their hands. It will be critical managing these players to ensure that they get sufficient game time while on tour.

really digging the protea fire campaign...can't believe something so 'honest and polished' comes direct from CSA.

also quite surprised to see rain affecting test matches in our summer, normally that's nothing new but you'd expect it at the highveld stadiums, not the coast!

Ive heard some people say the band is irritating, im not one of those people and love the atmosphere they create even if im just watching on the tellie

Ive heard some people say the band is irritating, im not one of those people and love the atmosphere they create even if im just watching on the tellie

It would be better if the band can increase their repertoire. It seems like they only play about 5 songs. Imagine hearing the same tunes 160 times in 5 days?!