Cricket......

E1A104

ok, some long distance predictions here:

*SA to play Sri Lanka in the 1/4 finals.

*SA to bowl really slowly against pakistan, AB to get fined and banned for UAE game.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if ireland can beat zim, but lose to pakistan then it will probably come down to net run rate.

The optimist in me believes Ireland will beat both but ja that's highly probable how it might play out for the final 1/4 spot, should the other matches end in the way many believe they will.

Personally I'd love to see Ireland make to the 1/4's. They are special group of players who have done much to raise the awareness levels of fans re the associate teams.

The optimist in me believes Ireland will beat both but ja that's highly probable how it might play out for the final 1/4 spot, should the other matches end in the way many believe they will.

Personally I'd love to see Ireland make to the 1/4's. They are special group of players who have done much to raise the awareness levels of fans re the associate teams.

Yip, everyone loves an underdog and it would be tonic to the proposed 10 team tournament in 2019.

There also remains the chance that india throw their game against ireland to spite pakistan!

Yip, everyone loves an underdog and it would be tonic to the proposed 10 team tournament in 2019.

There also remains the chance that india throw their game against ireland to spite pakistan!

+1

That India may do so is a probability but I think they are a more pragmatic lot than what most give them credit for. If throwing that game means solely that Pakistan goes home without it affecting their (India's) final position on the table it "might" get considered otherwise I don't think that'll happen.

great finish in the AFG vs Scotland game....got me late for work, but so worth it. amazing to think they've only being playing the game for 15 odd years and now they've won a world cup match

It seems all of the Associate sides have been here to make their case for further inclusion at further CWC's. All have given it a good go and put up a fight and almost all the games have been tight and entertaining.

A article written by Martin Crowe to AB... an interesting read.

Dear AB,

You might have picked up that pre-tournament my head predicted you boys to win this baby, while my heart, naturally, is dressed in black.

Don't be sad, AB. So far you've dropped a few backers, looked pretty ordinary at times, but I'm holding fast. And if I had a quiet moment with you, then this is what I would offer, for what it's worth.

Firstly, and most important of all, any success of the highest order is down to bold, courageous leadership. You guys should know; you had one of the best of all time - Nelson Mandela. So my first little tip is to acknowledge that bold leadership is your domain. This is your time to march them out, take them home. The skipper in black has already assumed that role and is mounting an assault, just as Edmund Hillary did. On your side, if I were you, AB, I'd reach out and feel the presence of Madiba.

Next, your key role is to find each person's button and press it firmly. Look them in the eye and implore that they reveal their individual expression to fit perfectly within the team endeavour. Press the button: it's green (with a yellow stripe).

Let me start with the critical aspect of leadership - tactics. Your bowling attack needs tweaking, so open your mind to a few ideas and see if AD agrees.

One of the roles you have to get right is the fourth seamer. Wayne Parnell is your man. Trouble is, he is a rogue and can go walkabout, but he's likeable and eager, and if his button is correctly pushed, he will be a massive positive for the rocky road ahead. So open with him, giving him a chance to swing the ball, to feel important. Remove his fear, free him to be the best he can be. Rest Vernon for ten days, freshen him up for the last four games of the Cup. But empower Wayne to be the man he can be, steer him down the path of fulfilment. He can bat at eight with purpose. His button is your main priority.

Get Dale to relax, get rid of the stunned mullet look, get him looser. His wrist-snap is missing, the venom of old lacking. His body looks tight, with the will spilling over, over-stretched, so give him a list of different roles for a few games: open one day, bowl from middle to death on another. Get him challenged on different fronts to keep him fresh, not thinking too much, just lots of doing and being the class act he is.

Same with Morne. Change when and where he bowls from one game to another. These guys are experienced, they need to enjoy the game for a period, get the right juices flowing. Let them have turns opening with Wayne, trying a combo or two to scene-set by attacking with vigour.

Oh, I love Imran. What a big heart. If only you had 11 of him. He has been through so much and still keeps fighting on. He's your go-to guy, your banker, so be grateful he is in fluent form.

JP has to drop this flat rubbish he's bowling. Get him back to flighting the ball sweetly, dipping to create bounce, as he can. Tell him to take wickets, to attack, to be flamboyant. Inspire him.

Hey, and when it feels right, bowl an over yourself. Get that smile back on your face. Roll the dice: six balls, one wicket. No one will dare to get out to your slow straight dobblies. Nothing to lose for an over, and if you play Rilee at seven for a game as you rest Vernon, then you become the sixth bowler.

You have the attack, now you need to manipulate it better.

Hashim is your right-hand man, a beautifully strong, resilient player, so don't be afraid to ask him to carry more of the load. Tell him to take his time, anchor and secure the innings. He must bat through in his well-grooved tempo, not in this frenetic mood he seems to be in at present.

Tell young Quinton to clear the mind a little, not premeditate so much, as it roots the feet to the spot. Tell him to breathe deep and let the feet find fluency, then the hitting and timing will return. He's a critical cog in the wheel. Breathe and believe.

I'm worried about Faf, your long-time sparring partner. He's got the weight of the world on his shoulders, plus a small chip that needs removing. You are the one that needs to pull it out, as I sense it's there because you have left him so far behind over this decade. Encourage him to drop the burden he appears to be carrying, let him know that he can have some of your runs this tournament. That you can bat side by side, brothers in arms. You need him to be free.

Have a shave, AB, you look ragged and rattled. Smarten up. A touch of polish is required. Since that 31-ball ton, you have got a bit sloppy. You need to be all things in all situations. You need to lead like never before. Take a leap of faith. Feel Mandela in your bones.

It's you and you only who can push the buttons of your comrades. Black buttons are being pushed over the ditch, and you need to match it.

Four matches left in the round robin, so try a few subtle changes and freshen up the senior men and empower some key young talents. Chill, mate. Whistle a tune as you start pressing buttons.

It's all good. Plenty of time to pick up the pace. But I wouldn't waste another moment, eh.

Respect,
A big fan

Ok, so the disappointment of 1999 was a bit of a disaster. But things were different in 2003.

a)    We were at home, that’s got to be a good thing right?

b)    We were in a new era – mainly because of Hansiegate (he was banned for taking money from bookies)

c)     Shane Warne was banned (not for taking money from bookies, which he only got a slap on the wrist for, but for cough mixture)

d)    Australia weren’t even in our group

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/022003/041754.jpg

I'll be captain, I know what I'm doing!

1st Match: South Africa v West Indies at Cape Town - Feb 9, 2003

West Indies 278/5 (50/50 ov); South Africa 275/9 (49/49 ov)

West Indies won by 3 runs

Scorecard | Commentary | Article index (3) | Photo index (32)

A world cup match against the battling WIndies – shouldn’t be an issue. As long as BC Lara isn’t playing. Pollie got two wickets upfront and had them on the rack at 2/7. Chanderpaul and Lara steadied the ship, Hooper did likewise and Lara got to another vital world cup century. The damage came at the end – Powell and Sarwan clubbing 64 off the final four overs.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/72200/72202.jpg

Kallis drops Lara early on. oops

We were on track throughout the chase, but lost wickets regularly. Once Pollock went out, it was 120 required off the final 15. Klusener came in after pollie again, klapped a four and 5 sixes and got it down to 14 required off the last 12 balls. 8 off the last four balls, Klusener on strike and he gets out.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/022003/041816.jpg

Jonty in his 4th world cup. one too many? (he only played two games before getting dropped)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/022003/041813.jpg

leave it to Lance, he knows what to do

Interestingly we were docked an over for slow bowling, because that was one of the rules at the time. If you look at the 49 over total, we won by 9 runs. The WIndies actually bowled SLOWER than us for no penalty on the day, but that’s just how it worked - we had our target at the top of the innings. We lost the game in the death bowling(captain pollies first 6 overs went for 9 runs, last four went for 43!)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/022003/041809.jpg

that is a young chris gayle, no dreads. (got 2 of 21 with the bat)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/6900/6990.jpg

Once again, well done BC Lara, long way to go still

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/022003/041756.jpg

JK with real hair

if Ireland succeed, this would be the 3rd World cup in a row where they advanced beyond the group stages

if Ireland succeed, this would be the 3rd World cup in a row where they advanced beyond the group stages

nope. just 2007. 2011 they came 6th in group B (out of 7). BUT they beat ENGLAND, and that's all we need to remember.

Just checked it, my bad...don't know why i thought that then :oops:

Maybe because they're such a well organised team? And because they play competitive cricket?

And in general it's hard to dislike the Irish.

Irrespective of what happens today, isnt it great to see the Windies looking sharp, focussed and hungry in the field. Team spirit seems to be high.Disiplined bowling. Fielders throwing themselves after the ball. Good stuff!

SA building a steady partnership. Amla finding a bit of form again and Faf also playing well. They weathered the storm well up front and surely will now look to cash in. 350 is not out of the question, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. 

AB needs to stop the oncoming choke...

Why, were we 45/3 with all 3 batsmen getting out to soft dismissals?