Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of Forrest, Forrest Gump: The *Windies/Pakistan* are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

*delete where applicable*

A very clinical performance by the Proteas today with bat, ball and in the field. 

The 3 remaining questions are now answered in my opinion being:

QdK - yes, its only one good innings out of 7 so far, but the old hands will tell you its about hitting form at the right time. His footwork looked decisive today and he is timing it well. 

5th bowler - If your 5th bowler gets a hat trick in a QF it probably settles any debate in the matter

Abbot vs Vern - I like the Vern, he's a phenomenal player, but Abbot has been playing his heart out at every opportunity he gets.

Onto the SF. I actually hope we get NZ. It should be a very good contest between bat and ball, and for us to go all the way to the final we will need to get tested properly in the semi. Saying that I hope beyond reason or logic that Aus have a booboo against Pakistan or India. I cannot see Bangladesh usurping India, but stranger things have happened. 

A very clinical performance by the Proteas today with bat, ball and in the field. 

QdK - yes, its only one good innings out of 7 so far, but the old hands will tell you its about hitting form at the right time. His footwork looked decisive today and he is timing it well. 

5th bowler - If your 5th bowler gets a hat trick in a QF it probably settles any debate in the matter

Abbot vs Vern - I like the Vern, he's a phenomenal player, but Abbot has been playing his heart out at every opportunity he gets.

Onto the SF. I actually hope we get NZ. It should be a very good contest between bat and ball, and for us to go all the way to the final we will need to get tested properly in the semi. Saying that I hope beyond reason or logic that Aus have a booboo against Pakistan or India. I cannot see Bangladesh usurping India, but stranger things have happened. 

Putting my personal feelings towards the team aside, and commenting as a neutral... I hope QdK is not a one-hit wonder (edit: in this tournament), and I hope this performance by the team is not one too.

I've seen it too often in many World Cups (football and rugby to name a few), where a less fancied team has a cracker of a game in the QF or SF only to look like a fish out of water in the next.

I really hope this team can go all the way, to put people's negativity (myself included) to rest.

Edited by geraldm24

Putting my personal feelings towards the team aside, and commenting as a neutral... I hope QdK is not a one-hit wonder, and I hope this performance by the team is not one too.

I've seen it too often in many World Cups (football and rugby to name a few), where a less fancied team has a cracker of a game in the QF or SF only to look like a fish out of water in the next.

I really hope this team can go all the way, to put people's negativity (myself included) to rest.

He has over 1 500 runs already and an average of 35 plus as an opener.

Dont see how that can be viewed as a one hit wonder.

He has had a bad spell over his last couple games and thats it.

*Well I think AB was only ever going to keep if QdK got injured - definitely got a good hit at the right time.

*still not totally comfortable with JPD as 5th bowler with only AB as backup, he bowled well today, but he came on with them under huge pressure. might have been a different story if they were 100/1 after 15.

*vern/abbot - Abbot has really put his hand up when asked. he was underwhelming in the home series against windies but has deloivered when required in this world cup.

I DON'T think this is necessarily our match XI for the semi (and possible final). might want to bolster the batting (vern for abbot) or bowling (fudge for rilee) for the kiwis. loads of comibinations, think the only guys not going to get a game are phangiso and parnell.

He has over 1 500 runs already and an average of 35 plus as an opener.

Dont see how that can be viewed as a one hit wonder.

He has had a bad spell over his last couple games and thats it.

Sorry, was referring to this tournament only.

Hope his lack of form is behind him.

The pitch really suited the Blommetjies.

Bounce, bounce, bounce.

They still had to execute their individual and team plans.

Nicely done!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74500/74547.jpg

41st Match, Super Eights: New Zealand v South Africa at St George's - Apr 14, 2007

South Africa 193/7 (50/50 ov); New Zealand 196/5 (48.2/50 ov)

New Zealand won by 5 wickets (with 10 balls remaining)

Scorecard | Commentary | Report | Article index (8) | Photo index (30)

Two wobblies against Australia and Bangladesh and this was approaching last chance saloon. Being put in to bat, things went bad from the get go. Smith fell second over and AB went back to failing as an opener. Kallis and Gibbs steadied the ship, but very slowly – after 9 overs we were 7/2. When Kallis went it was 50/3 but the run rate was just 2.5 an over. Gibbs, Prince and Boucher kept it ticking a bit quicker in the middle overs, but they all fell to part timer Mcmillan. The lower order had too much to do and couldn’t even get the score above 200.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74500/74546.jpg
JK was ducking and diving

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74500/74554.jpg

the tame medium pace of craig mcmillan ripped through the middle order

The Kiwis applied themselves to the task, and whilst always being behind the runrate for a small total, never got bogged down for long enough. It would be a comfortable win in the end, and secured a semi final slot for the black caps. Proteas would now need to win their final super 8 game to go through against England. Kallis blamed the pitch, things were getting desperate. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74500/74565.jpg

camera man catches gibbs dropping fleming

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74500/74564.jpg

polly got him, but too little too late

My only issue with Vern (for the Semi) is his tendency to bowl straight looking for the LBW.  As has been seen so far in this WC, the umps are not giving LBWs easily.  Most of the 50/50 calls has gone the batter's way.

If you get a good legside player, he will put Vern away.

Edited by Moridin

QdK seemed to play some shots that were a little wild but fortunately he missed them completely. And he also played some rather good ones too.

Hopefully he can ride this right back into form.

the expected media backlash on england's world cup

England’s ODI team are boring, bad, badly boring and boringly bad

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-300/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/13/1394733733869/BarneyRonay.png

Barney Ronay

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/mar/13/england-odi-cricket-world-cup

Wow, scathing, worse than the SA press, but then I guess that's where they learn if from.

Wow! That is harsh. I would rather be rubbish than a bumbling ordinary. It's on the money though.

I was feelings a bit like that about Sky but then along came Stanard.