Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good article questioning India and the quality of their pitches in the current series

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/944415.html

I think the real question is would they have been able to beat us in those tests if it had been 'cricket' wickets especially if our injury situation cropped up the way it did? For me the answer is yes, seeing that their spin bowling is a tad superior to ours. I think these pitches showed how much they wanted something out of this tour that they felt forced to load the dice in their favor.

Pink ball test cricket in Australasia

Interesting

NZ 84/4

Indeed. Been an interesting test to watch. Some good bowling keeping the Aussies in the hunt. How crucial will Mitch Marsh's dismissal of Williamson be? Hazlewood (spelling) was terrific as well benefiting from bowling in tandem with Siddle. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

I think the real question is would they have been able to beat us in those tests if it had been 'cricket' wickets especially if our injury situation cropped up the way it did? For me the answer is yes, seeing that their spin bowling is a tad superior to ours. I think these pitches showed how much they wanted something out of this tour that they felt forced to load the dice in their favor.

my thoughts exactly, winning in india should be a challenge but i think they got a bit bang of the #1 team...but it kind of takes away the whole point of even having the series then? ok, you want four tests??? we'll give you four TESTS! (as it stands, 7 days of cricket from 3 tests so far)

it's like what happens when they hold an election in zim - we all know the answer already.

Got to feel for the black caps, the nathan lyon incident cost them big time (but credit to aus for still getting the tail to wag after the decision).

don't know why everyone thinks there's something wrong with DRS - the 3rd umpire got it wrong, can't fault the technology (although he never got his superslomo from head on - that would have shown deflection and ball rotation). Of course Lyon knew he was gone, had walked halfway to the boundary already!...is it still walking if you turn around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOCmRf66HY

my thoughts exactly, winning in india should be a challenge but i think they got a bit bang of the #1 team...but it kind of takes away the whole point of even having the series then? ok, you want four tests??? we'll give you four TESTS! (as it stands, 7 days of cricket from 3 tests so far)

it's like what happens when they hold an election in zim - we all know the answer already.

Pretty much. When the home batsmen struggle it definitely says that the pitches have been prepared to suit one particular bowling attack. If one keeps in mind that a cricket wicket in India does indeed take spin as early as late on day 2 they still had, in my mind, an advantage over us. Add to that that our batsmen have been in poor form the pitch prepared for the third test was because they were afraid that we could find an extra gear from somewhere. Personally I'm not to sure they would've found one.

Also noteworthy is that of the 50 SA wickets to fall only 2 was to a fast bowler, Varun Aaron in the first test. And among our bowlers it's our spinners that lead the way, although I am a little unsure of the exact breakdown of that.

In short the criticism of the Indian pitches is justified even if they (India/Shastri/Ashwin) don't think so.

Got to feel for the black caps, the nathan lyon incident cost them big time (but credit to aus for still getting the tail to wag after the decision)....

Stuff like that is bad for cricket imo, the umpire effectively decided the series with a wrong descision.

The team for the fourth test:

post-51480-1449121536,2855.jpeg

Must admit I am not surprised at seeing a pitch I'd be inclined to call a 'cricket' wicket. Certainly streets better than Nagpur and Mohali. Batsmen should have an easier time of it out in the middle. Less extreme variable bounce.

new boys doing the business. 4 wickets for piedt. 2 for Abbot.

tahir been tonked.

big competition for bowling slots really now when no one is injured. only steyn's place is guaranteed in my mind. kyle abbot has been drafted in now and then - now has 15 wickets from 8 innings, and an average under 20. Very hard to ignore. piedt has taken 4 wickets in each of the 3 innings he has bowled - got injured at the wrong time, but must be the future of our spin attack?

Piedt

Awesome

Glad he's back

I imagine he could've made a big difference earlier on in the Series

Yeah he could've made a difference in the previous tests but I think the issue was what happens if Tahir goes for runs? I think he showed that he can handle the pressure well (38 - 6 - 117 - 4) and had good support in Abbott (24.5 - 7 - 40 - 5). If he gets wickets in the second innings he may leapfrog both Tahir and Harmer for the England series. One also has to think that Abbott has cemented his place in the team as the fourth seamer.

Nice to see Bavuma batting well. Very composed and good judgment with shot selection. Serious talent imho!

new boys doing the business. 4 wickets for piedt. 2 for Abbot.

tahir been tonked.

big competition for bowling slots really now when no one is injured. only steyn's place is guaranteed in my mind. kyle abbot has been drafted in now and then - now has 15 wickets from 8 innings, and an average under 20. Very hard to ignore. piedt has taken 4 wickets in each of the 3 innings he has bowled - got injured at the wrong time, but must be the future of our spin attack?

What would be your first choice bowling line up for the first test against England bearing in mind the balance of the team and would you relieve Duminy of his bowling duties?

I like the look of Bavuma. He has shown some application and patience. He looks more like an opener than van Zyl. Lets hope he grabs this opportunity with both hands.