Cricket......

E1A104

It's sustainability v short term gains imho. The real problem as you acknowledged is getting coaches to do it consistently across the season and not just towards the end of it. Essentially what one needs is for the players to be in a 'sink or swim' situation. Perform or lose your place (and this should be across the board for all players with realistic standards), just not sure whether CSA has the willingness to allow coaches to do so. Or even if it's politically possible for that matter.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

they had 'guidelines' for superrugby last year.

Only stormers met and exceeded them, but it seems like it got washed down the drain as haven't heard anything since.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a great irony in this success by an exceptional cricketer and the foregoing posts.

I have NEVER met any South African who would not have welcomed him into the national team. He clearly is good enough.

But then again he is not the norm but the exception that proves the rule.

He went to an leading private school with great facilities, excellent coaching and a long and proud cricket tradition.

Nobody can become a cricket of his standard without a sound school coaching and playing environment including competitive matches on an ongoing basis.

What, therefore is the department of Basic Education doing to ensure that sport is sufficiently funded and promoted at school level?

Edited by eddy

I tried to watch the awards ceremony last night. It was beyond bad! The whole production sucked big time. I can't believe that they forced some players to return for this from the CPL while others were away on SA-A team duties in any event.

I agree that Rabada is a very bright prospect, and enjoyed that other young talent such as De Kock is also being recognised. They all deserved a better show than what was put on last night.

So the focus returns to South

Africa's transformation policy,

which is seen as a cause of what is

being termed "white flight". One

former player believes it is not so

much the policy but the lack of

clarity surrounding its

implementation that is causing

player unhappiness.

"If you are good enough, you will

play for South Africa no matter

what colour your skin and we know

that," the player, who is white, said.

"But CSA need to be open and

honest about transformation and

then you will have fewer players

leaving. The players just want to

know: these are the rules and this is

what we have to do. That's all. They

keep saying there is no quota, there

are only targets, and that is a lie.

"At the same time we have to stop

saying every time someone of

colour gets a position that they are

only there because of their colour.

We have very deserving people." - from a cricinfo article referring to the talent drain in our cricket whether it be players, coaches or administrators. This section focuses on players and their main reason for leaving.

Well, I'm done with SA cricket for time being. Our national side is clearly not being picked on merit. And I'm referring to okes like Duminy and Behardien here. Our coach is like a fish out of water, he's taken us from no1 in tests to what, 5 or 6 now?

The last ODI I watched 8/11 of our players were of colour. Which is fine, most of them are there on merit. But now CSA still implement official "targets". Even poor AB doesn't perform when he plays for SA anymore. I wish he would open his mouth and tell the world what he thinks of the politics in our sport. He's revered in India, and India control world cricket. So maybe they'll sort CSA out?

they had 'guidelines' for superrugby last year.

Only stormers met and exceeded them, but it seems like it got washed down the drain as haven't heard anything since.

That's the essential problem with guidelines, it generally doesn't get followed. Personally I think having clear rules re transformation and clear performance criteria is of vital importance but it also needs to be balanced with a support system that'll allow the players and coaches to achieve and exceed the minimum goals set.

Well, I'm done with SA cricket for time being. Our national side is clearly not being picked on merit. And I'm referring to okes like Duminy and Behardien here. Our coach is like a fish out of water, he's taken us from no1 in tests to what, 5 or 6 now?

The last ODI I watched 8/11 of our players were of colour. Which is fine, most of them are there on merit. But now CSA still implement official "targets". Even poor AB doesn't perform when he plays for SA anymore. I wish he would open his mouth and tell the world what he thinks of the politics in our sport. He's revered in India, and India control world cricket. So maybe they'll sort CSA out?

We have slipped drastically down the rankings although not all of it can be entirely laid at Domingo and his staffs feet. A number of senior players have not had the rich vein of form that helped propel them to no1 status. That doesn't absolve Domingo though of his poor selection choices or how he has dealt with obvious flaws in our game so a change is needed for sure.

Not a fan of Berhardien but he did win us a game against Aus in the tri-series and should've played in our opening two games in the WT20. He does deserve to be in the squad. Ditto Duminy but he has been very inconsistent with his form. Again as I said to LMMGA performance criteria is of critical importance, even at international level.

Also the players support the idea of transformation and see the need for it but it is the how that's getting everyone in a knot. No one seems to have a clear strategy.

There is a great irony in this success by an exceptional cricketer and the foregoing posts.

I have NEVER met a white South African who would not have welcomed him into the national team. He clearly is good enough.

But then again he is not the norm but the exception that proves the rule.

He went to an leading private school with great facilities, excellent coaching and a long and proud cricket tradition.

Nobody can become a cricket of his standard without a sound school coaching and playing environment competitive marches on an ongoing basis.

What, therefore is the department of Basic Education doing to ensure that sport is sufficiently funded and promoted at school level?

You need to include the Department of Sports and Recreation in that as well. Grass roots transformation needs to be a combination of sporting body aiding the government. Not vice versa as the politicians have it.

That's the essential problem with guidelines, it generally doesn't get followed. Personally I think having clear rules re transformation and clear performance criteria is of vital importance but it also needs to be balanced with a support system that'll allow the players and coaches to achieve and exceed the minimum goals set.

We have slipped drastically down the rankings although not all of it can be entirely laid at Domingo and his staffs feet. A number of senior players have not had the rich vein of form that helped propel them to no1 status. That doesn't absolve Domingo though of his poor selection choices or how he has dealt with obvious flaws in our game so a change is needed for sure.

Not a fan of Berhardien but he did win us a game against Aus in the tri-series and should've played in our opening two games in the WT20. He does deserve to be in the squad. Ditto Duminy but he has been very inconsistent with his form. Again as I said to LMMGA performance criteria is of critical importance, even at international level.

Also the players support the idea of transformation and see the need for it but it is the how that's getting everyone in a knot. No one seems to have a clear strategy.

This has probably been debated to death, and I really don't want to start a whole discussion on it now. But I just want to say that if they want more black cricketers in the national team, start at the grassroots and improve rural schools, and help kids with talent get into the good cricketing schools (like Rabada). Don't enforce it from the top down.

I am certainly no fan of Dimuny or Behardien. Duminy used to be very good, but the problem with especially cricket is that guys stay in the team purely on reputation. And Behardien is too inconsistent. He scores some runs maybe once in 15 games, sometimes it wins us the game if he's lucky. He doesn't even bowl anymore, and Duminy not much either. 

And how can you have guys like Steyn and Morkel but you REST them all the time? Aaarg let me stop here otherwise I'll go on forever!

Domingo must fall! Domingo must fall! 

This has probably been debated to death, and I really don't want to start a whole discussion on it now. But I just want to say that if they want more black cricketers in the national team, start at the grassroots and improve rural schools, and help kids with talent get into the good cricketing schools (like Rabada). Don't enforce it from the top down.

I am certainly no fan of Dimuny or Behardien. Duminy used to be very good, but the problem with especially cricket is that guys stay in the team purely on reputation. And Behardien is too inconsistent. He scores some runs maybe once in 15 games, sometimes it wins us the game if he's lucky. He doesn't even bowl anymore, and Duminy not much either.

And how can you have guys like Steyn and Morkel but you REST them all the time? Aaarg let me stop here otherwise I'll go on forever!

Domingo must fall! Domingo must fall!

Ja nee have too agree there Leeubok. The how of Transformation is very tricky and we've had this debate plenty in this thread. Plenty ideas and honest opinions and yet the very people who need to do so won't for whatever reason and that hurts us too. The sooner the people in charge get honest with themselves the better but don't wait with bated breath as you'll wind up dying of asphyxiation.

If I were a selector then reputation would only hold stock for a reasonable period (6 - 7 matches) to find form otherwise opportunity must be given to the next in line. While behind the scenes every effort should be made to get the out of form guys back into form. Player rotation is a tricky thing too, keeping players fresh and motivated needs to be key here as is honesty about why a player is being left out otherwise it would create unhappiness. And yes it does seem that the selectors and Domingo have failed to make clear plans in this regard. Would love for us to have an Australian coach as that would take our cricket up a notch but that I think won't happen anytime soon.

Ja nee have too agree there Leeubok. The how of Transformation is very tricky and we've had this debate plenty in this thread. Plenty ideas and honest opinions and yet the very people who need to do so won't for whatever reason and that hurts us too. The sooner the people in charge get honest with themselves the better but don't wait with bated breath as you'll wind up dying of asphyxiation.

If I were a selector then reputation would only hold stock for a reasonable period (6 - 7 matches) to find form otherwise opportunity must be given to the next in line. While behind the scenes every effort should be made to get the out of form guys back into form. Player rotation is a tricky thing too, keeping players fresh and motivated needs to be key here as is honesty about why a player is being left out otherwise it would create unhappiness. And yes it does seem that the selectors and Domingo have failed to make clear plans in this regard. Would love for us to have an Australian coach as that would take our cricket up a notch but that I think won't happen anytime soon.

Not that long ago mickey arthur was doing quite alright with the aussie team, until they couldn't do their homework.

Not that long ago mickey arthur was doing quite alright with the aussie team, until they couldn't do their homework.

Mick and Gazza are the exceptions.

Mick's Pakistan 1 all against the poms. Interesting series that.

21 wickets in a day

Sri Lanka 281 & 237
Australia 106 & 25/3

More results like this will add pressure onto the ICC to reduce Test cricket to 4 days

Four South African cricketers, including former Test wicketkeeper Thami Tsolekile, have been handed bans by Cricket South Africa for breaching the board's Anti-Corruption Code. While Tsolekile has been banned for 12 years, Jean Symes has been given a seven-year ban, while Ethy Mbhalati and Pumelela Matshikwe have each been given ten-year bans in relation to the Ram Slam T20 2015 fixing case.

All four players have accepted the bans given by CSA starting on August 1. The bans imposed on the players prevent them from participating or being involved in cricket in any capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the Vern back in action. We really missed him last season.

I like the Kiwi's they play hard, but they play fair. They also seem to comfortably punch above their weight on many occasions.