Cricket......

E1A104

Couldn't agree more. None of the current FC openers are scoring much in the way of runs. That includes Puttick who is a fine player imho. Since the start of the year to the end of the FC season Puttick could only pass 50+ on three occasions and one was a score of 116*. And that was across 7 innings.

That said when Cook does get going he often does get a good score. Perhaps what's needed is for Elgar to be a bit more aggressive earlier on in his innings. But both could do with looking to take more singles early on so as to get rotation happening quicker. It's been noticeable that when both get a bit of a start we often get a decent score. Which really shows the value of a good opening partnership. Hate to lose against the Poms because we weren't getting the starts we needed up front!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Now imagine if Graham Smith was still playing... boy did we kick some solid cricketers in the nuts in the past...

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now imagine if Graham Smith was still playing... boy did we kick some solid cricketers in the nuts in the past...

I will be brutally honest, I miss Greame Smith the batsman. Greame Smith the captain I don't.

Too true.  Smith was a legend - prickly legend with unappealing technique and personality but one of the best opening captains in history.  A prophet without honour...

I will be brutally honest, I miss Greame Smith the batsman. Greame Smith the captain I don't.

Scratchy as s yard chicken

Ugly cover drive

And imposing and gritty

Too true. Smith was a legend - prickly legend with unappealing technique and personality but one of the best opening captains in history. A prophet without honour...

There's no real argument against his numbers. As I said a very good batsman. I just wonder if there had been another viable long term captain would he still have been captain as long? Sadly we will never know.

Ugly cover drive

And imposing and gritty

Granite is a word that comes to mind. One always knew if he made a big contribution we stood a chance of at least drawing the match. More often than not we won. Great player.

Ugly cover drive

And imposing and gritty

He was also the perfect decoy for being targeted by teams and fast bowlers in particular. Many a captain lost series against SA in focussing all their attention Smith, leaving other players to play with freedom and focus on their own games opposed to what the opposition was saying about them / media was getting up to.

I'm hoping that we'll be at around 200/4 when I wake up at around 5am. I don't see the night watchman lasting all that long tomorrow morning, but if he can face 20 or 30 balls, the shine will definitely be off that new ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm hoping that we'll be at around 200/4 when I wake up at around 5am. I don't see the night watchman lasting all that long tomorrow morning, but if he can face 20 or 30 balls, the shine will definitely be off that new ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top order trouble

Lovely rear guard action

The only thing is the Proteas will have the last bat on this pitch

Hope they get a lead of substance ????????

Previous 91 by QDK

Phew!

That got them in touch big time

Edited by 'Dale

50 first innings lead

That's substantial

Cmon Blommetjies ????????????????

Build on it.