Cricket......

E1A104

if there's one thing that's getting on my nerve, it is the comments that we are "rebuilding"...

WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE IN A POSITION OF REBUILDING! If we were producing a constant stream of quality players, the evolution of the team would happen naturally!

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel Nkwe's comments that Temba is captaincy material is a bit immature. Temba must still cut his teeth in international cricket, and eke out a permanent spot in the team. For any test captain to be dropped takes a lot of doing, just ask Mark Taylor/Allan Border/Steve Waugh/Ricky Ponting/Graeme Smith etc etc etc.

If and when Faf does get dropped, it would be the end of him. In fact Im sure after this series he will retire from the Test side. Who the hell then takes over the captaincy is anyone's guess because nobody stands out in my opinion.

Yeah I also feel that giving Temba the captaincy would be a bad move especially right now. Elgar is the only one I reckon that would make sense in a temporary capacity until QdK or Markram or even Temba (if he can secure his place first) can take over. But I reckon FdP is still good enough to be the captain he just needs a proper score under the belt and he'll have his batting confidence back.

I agree that FdP is still good enough, and that one score should be a catalyst to see him get back some confidence. Im not sure he wants to?

Markram is also in the same boat as Temba, he needs to cement his spot in the side first. Yes they made Biff captain at 22 but its because he burst through the door and how could we not make him captain? (as a side, watch that Supersport Doccie "Cricket and the Rainbow Nation" - its a must see)

back to Markram: he doesnt exactly strike me as being particularly intelligent in the same way Biff was beyond his years. I know he has had a taste of the ODI captaincy, but Im not convinced he is test captain material, of course I might be wrong, its just my opinion based on my observation of him as a player.

QdK... we need him to focus on his keeping and batting. his keeping is special, his batting is not consistent enough. I dont think we should burden him with the captaincy, again just my opinion on workload etc. inevitably one of the three will suffer, if he is made captain.

If Temba was captain of an all conquering Lions Team, I would have no problem seeing him made captain of the Test side.

Elgar will always be just a temporary stopgap. I dont have a particular issue with him being captain, just that its not going to be a long-term solution.

Yeah I also feel that giving Temba the captaincy would be a bad move especially right now. Elgar is the only one I reckon that would make sense in a temporary capacity until QdK or Markram or even Temba (if he can secure his place first) can take over. But I reckon FdP is still good enough to be the captain he just needs a proper score under the belt and he'll have his batting confidence back.

I agree that FdP is still good enough, and that one score should be a catalyst to see him get back some confidence. Im not sure he wants to?

Markram is also in the same boat as Temba, he needs to cement his spot in the side first. Yes they made Biff captain at 22 but its because he burst through the door and how could we not make him captain? (as a side, watch that Supersport Doccie "Cricket and the Rainbow Nation" - its a must see)

back to Markram: he doesnt exactly strike me as being particularly intelligent in the same way Biff was beyond his years. I know he has had a taste of the ODI captaincy, but Im not convinced he is test captain material, of course I might be wrong, its just my opinion based on my observation of him as a player.

QdK... we need him to focus on his keeping and batting. his keeping is special, his batting is not consistent enough. I dont think we should burden him with the captaincy, again just my opinion on workload etc. inevitably one of the three will suffer, if he is made captain.

If Temba was captain of an all conquering Lions Team, I would have no problem seeing him made captain of the Test side.

Elgar will always be just a temporary stopgap. I dont have a particular issue with him being captain, just that its not going to be a long-term solution.

Agreed 100%. No real good choices ito the captaincy.

if there's one thing that's getting on my nerve, it is the comments that we are "rebuilding"...

WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE IN A POSITION OF REBUILDING! If we were producing a constant stream of quality players, the evolution of the team would happen naturally!

Unfortunately, the migration to the North have dented succession planning

It is a tough one

Yes you hit the nail on the head. But i feel its also an indication of our failing domestic competition.

Unfortunately, the migration to the North have dented succession planning

It is a tough one

Edited by gemmerbal

It wil be Bavima - I think they want him to do a Kolisi

I think you are right. Will be a fantastic story if it comes off.

Just had this conversation with a colleague of mine. My feeling is that the captaincy is the only thing saving FdP right now. However if he gets a score then it does set the cat among the pigeons doesn't it.

The problem is more, for me at least, that both Hamza and Van der Dussen deserve a proper run in the team so it's likely that Temba remains having to play domestic cricket for the remainder of the season. It might be fairer to try and give Temba game time in ODI's and T20I's.

No way Faf is getting dropped, the amount of background k&k he has had to deal with they would never do it to him. Anyway he totally outscored Temba last year, despite being below par. Probably moot point as he's likely to only play 2/3 more Test series anyway.

In terms of the guys who can be captain, Dean Elgar is the only logical choice in the short term. Rassie would be my leftfield option as he just seems to be such a natural, despite limited international experience. Temba or Markram could do it longer term, but they need to get into the team first

In terms of Patterson for Pretorious, I think patterson is coloured which has thankfully not been a talking point in the press at least.

Gotta get Stokes early

Great player

Root was nowhere with his feet

Looked like me batting

Stokes has lived a charmed life already this innings. watched the last hour and he gave away plenty of half chances - was actually out lbw but came to umpires call.

Shebeen help me out here (your stats research skills is better than mine), tests at St Georges are not not known for producing big scores. 136/3 after 63 overs, if we can limit them to under 250 and somehow manage to achieve a lead after our first innings, we will be on top. otherwise batting 4th chasing anything over 225 is going to be a huge challenge.

took the random sample of last 20 years.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;ground=173;groupby=overall;innings_number=1;orderby=start;spanmax1=17+Jan+2020;spanmin1=17+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

comes out at average of ~350 for first innings, but ranges from 124 toi 520

innings by innings list since jan 2000

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;ground=173;innings_number=1;orderby=start;spanmax1=17+Jan+2020;spanmin1=17+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team;view=innings

edit: in the 12 completed games it is bat first won 5, bowl first won 5, 2 draws

Edited by Shebeen

No way Faf is getting dropped, the amount of background k&k he has had to deal with they would never do it to him. Anyway he totally outscored Temba last year, despite being below par. Probably moot point as he's likely to only play 2/3 more Test series anyway.

In terms of the guys who can be captain, Dean Elgar is the only logical choice in the short term. Rassie would be my leftfield option as he just seems to be such a natural, despite limited international experience. Temba or Markram could do it longer term, but they need to get into the team first

In terms of Patterson for Pretorious, I think patterson is coloured which has thankfully not been a talking point in the press at least.

Stokes has lived a charmed life already this innings. watched the last hour and he gave away plenty of half chances - was actually out lbw but came to umpires call.

I think we all know Faf is a class player and a pretty decent captain. The real problem, as you've highlighted, is that the better candidates are as yet not fully settled members of the team. So yes Faf is highly unlikely to be dropped. That said he does need to score and that is where the heart of the issue is. His batting form. Personally I believe he is just one good innings away from regaining his form/confidence. If he does it'll help stabilize the team and give the newbies some breathing room.

Also I stand by my belief that both Hamza and Van der Dussen deserve a proper run in the team so Bavuma finding form in the domestic set up just gives the selectors a semi good headache over who to pick to play.

What is flippen frustrating is that barely two years ago we had a monster  bowling lineup bossing the likes of Aus and Ind.

D Steyn

M Morkel

D Olivier

KG Rabada

V Philander

We lost a couple of them and suddenly we not that force anymore. QdK standing up to the stumps for Philander...:(

KG's ban is beyond ridiculous!!! What's wrong with a bit of passion? Test Cricket is fighting for survival in a world that loves instant everything. Surely being passionate about competing with the best and getting the better of them is actually a good thing and not something to get a demerit for!?!?!?! I want to watch guys who are putting everything in to get the win for their team!

This is the 3rd time he has been suspended due to demerits

As a result‚ Rabada now has five demerit points on his disciplinary record after he received three against Sri Lanka in a ODI match last year and one in the Lord’s Test against England also last year.

this one got him 3 demerit points. he got banned for 2 test matches as a result of it. 

hqdefault.jpg

they will expire in 3 weeks time

Rabada = Temba is hardly a straight swap, but I see what you mean that the selectors will be forced due to targets... So someone like Rassie might need to be dropped to bring in a FASTR bowler... the rest of the guys are hardly capable of keeping the fort without Rabada.

PS. Hardly a cricket "kenner", just a view from a layman.