Cricket......

E1A104

Maybe this idea of changing tests to 4 days only is a good thing. We would've drawn this test and the Newlands one 

Seriously, we were comprehensively outplayed these last 2 tests but still made it to day 5. Would've been an injustice for Eng to draw them both if day 5 wasn't available! 

Quick practical question.

How do they propose in dropping the 5th day?

Do you make them play 1 hour more per day, which gives you about 15 more overs in a day? Thus you would only lose a single session worth of overs over the testmatch length? Only 6% of overs lost.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you make them play 1 hour more per day, which gives you about 15 more overs in a day? Thus you would only lose a single session worth of overs over the testmatch length? Only 6% of overs lost.

I think the proposal is for 98 overs a day (They can't even get 90 overs in on a good day, how they think 98 is going to be possible is anyone's guess) , still end up approx 60 overs short of a 5 day test

Edited by Craai

I think the proposal is for 98 overs a day (They can't even get 90 overs in on a good day, how they think 98 is going to be possible is anyone's guess) , still end up approx 60 overs short of a 5 day test

I think the theory is that the teams will be more aggressive if they know upfront they have less over to work with to get a result.

Even 9 days weren't enough when they trialled the timeless test....

"9 days

The longest cricket match ever played was the 'Timeless test' played between South Africa and England at Durban from 3rd to 14th march, 1939. It went on for 9 days of play and close to 680 overs were bowled, and in those days an over consisted of 8 legal deliveries."

"South Africa trail by 175 runs with 3 wickets remaining"

This is the saddest line of text I have read in sport in the last decade.... Plus England have an innings in hand.

Day 5 - Session 1: South Africa trail by 145 runs with 1 wicket remaining

this will always be the most dissapointing for me. going into the series world #1 playing #2 at home. innings and 360 runs!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15393/game/63978/south-africa-vs-australia-1st-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2001-02

Best over in this test:

4b
Root to Maharaj, 4 byes, and now he beats everyone. This is 99kph and moves away from the batsman, off the pitch. He's squared up and Buttler is beaten too as this slides from underneath
Root to Maharaj, SIX runs, and 24! Length outside off again, pushed through again. And slogged cleanly once more. This goes further back in the midwicket direction
Root to Maharaj, SIX runs, boom! That is some hit, whew. Length ball pushed through outside off. Slides into his arc and he wallops it over deep midwicket

Now he's over the wicket

Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, and another! Maharaj loves attacking spinners, and right now he's being fed. Another full one pitching outside leg and once more he's down quickly to whip this past leg gully
Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, full and down leg side, gets low again and has a swipe at it. No danger really with that line. Gets it off the under-edge and past Buttler
Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, swiped to deep midwicket's right. Full toss on middle stump, gets low, watches that closely, and it's a nice and controlled sweep

More Root, around the wicket

Best over in this test:

4b
Root to Maharaj, 4 byes, and now he beats everyone. This is 99kph and moves away from the batsman, off the pitch. He's squared up and Buttler is beaten too as this slides from underneath
Root to Maharaj, SIX runs, and 24! Length outside off again, pushed through again. And slogged cleanly once more. This goes further back in the midwicket direction
Root to Maharaj, SIX runs, boom! That is some hit, whew. Length ball pushed through outside off. Slides into his arc and he wallops it over deep midwicket

Now he's over the wicket

Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, and another! Maharaj loves attacking spinners, and right now he's being fed. Another full one pitching outside leg and once more he's down quickly to whip this past leg gully
Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, full and down leg side, gets low again and has a swipe at it. No danger really with that line. Gets it off the under-edge and past Buttler
Root to Maharaj, FOUR runs, swiped to deep midwicket's right. Full toss on middle stump, gets low, watches that closely, and it's a nice and controlled sweep

More Root, around the wicket

Crazy!

Anybody know what the most runs scored in a TestMatch over is?

SNIP: Leubok beat me to it...

Hehe, I really enjoyed that! Serves him right for keeping himself on to get his 5 wickets, instead of bowling his frontline bowlers to get the job done!

yes, the proposal is for 98 overs to be played each day, probably within 7 hours which will necessitate a change in playing schedule. the point I also made a while back is exactly what you okes are making now, they cannot bowl 90 overs in 6.5 hours, how the hell are they going to bowl 98 in 7?

interestingly, at club cricket level, the day is divided in 3 sessions of 2hours 20 mins each, with a 112overs required in a day with 3overs subtracted for the change of innings. bowling 16 overs an hour at club level is only just achievable - this was still in the days of 2day club cricket in the WP.

now, at International level they hardly get to 13 per hour. yes they have reviews affecting the over rate, but what I have noticed is that bowlers take forever to bowl their 6 balls. I see no reason why it should take more than 3mins per over, but okes drag their feet to get back to their mark, then they also have to wait for the ball to reach them. if you run up, bowl, and return to your mark without tee-potting in the middle of the wicket, getting it done in 3mins is very achievable. Get the ball to the bowler before he turns at the top of his run! ( I absolutely HATED waiting for the ball at the top of my run)

anyways, the writing is on the wall for this match.

i believe BC Lara hit Nicky Boje for 30 in the last over of the day, a couple of years back at the Wanderers.

let me fact check...

Crazy!

Crazy!

Karthik: "Please tell me that's the most expensive over in test match Cricket!" --- Joint-highest! Lara v R Peterson (2003-04), Bailey v Anderson (2013-14) the other contests with 28 in an over.

Karthik: "Please tell me that's the most expensive over in test match Cricket!" --- Joint-highest! Lara v R Peterson (2003-04), Bailey v Anderson (2013-14) the other contests with 28 in an over.

Lekker!

there you have it. I remember that game, haha, people leaving early to beat the trafiic, missing the last over of the day being hit all over the park.

Its a bit like the people leaving the stadium when Aus came off after scoring 434 in their allotted 50 overs... HAHA