Cricket......

E1A104

Well it seems the chase will be a short one as our usual weaknesses are coming back to haunt us in a major way! 

Edit: 147 required by England. I reckon they should get there with about 4 - 6 overs to spare considering the aggression and intent that they bat with!

Edit 2: Ok it seems that we are making them work for the win.

Edited by Mntboy

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that ended up be a lot tighter than what I had originally thought that it would be. We have a the makings of a wonderful bowling unit in Rabada (will we ever run out good things to say about this guy - sheer class), the N's - Ngidi & Nortje and Shamsi. Linde put in another good all round performance and could prove to be a complementary all rounder to Phehlukwayo. Our batting unit remains a problem, we need them to actually contribute and not just look like they are. 

Here's the T20I side I think we need to have a look at as potentially being our best XI and seeing if it'll work: 

Bavuma

De Kock (c & wk)

Du Plessis

Verreyne

Malan J

Linde

Phehlukwayo

Rabada

Nortje

Ngidi

Shamsi

What do you guys think?

Linde impressed again.

Nortje definitely needs to start. He pace definitely has edge over Hendricks.

Still not fan of bavuma. His 1 score in 30 innings doesn't cut it for me.

Having watched 2 ODIs down under, we really aren't nearly as good as aussies and India and as shown England too.

I'm so over the "we need AB back in the team" discussion already yaaasis

Links to the three 4 Day Series matches happening during the week: 

The Knights have lost to the Dolphins by 5 wickets. 

Full Scorecard of Knights vs Dolphins Pool B 2020 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

The Lions look like they'll be scoring a big win. 

Full Scorecard of Lions vs Warriors Cross Pool 2020 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

The Cobras and Titans appear to playing out to a draw! 

Full Scorecard of Cape Cobras vs Titans Pool A 2020 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

"Slightly" convincing by England

Meanwhile captain QDK wants to burrow his way off newlands watching his bowling get plonked all around the park.

To be fair, how much say does he have in the selection? He's working with what he's been given

Quotas are a scourge.

Would you have a problem if the selectors picked Keagan Petersen (coloured batsman) ahead of Pieter Malan, who may or may not be used at 3 for our upcoming test series against Sri Lanka?

Would you have a problem if the selectors picked Keagan Petersen (coloured batsman) ahead of Pieter Malan, who may or may not be used at 3 for our upcoming test series against Sri Lanka?

I would have no issue with whoever the selectors picked unencumbered by rules an quotas. Play the best team possible taking opponents, conditions and team dynamics into consideration.

I would have no issue with whoever the selectors picked unencumbered by rules an quotas. Play the best team possible taking opponents, conditions and team dynamics into consideration.

I think for the most part they are doing that but unfortunately our history does mean there is a need for restitution. For the most part it hasn't really hampered us as most of the guys selected (think Ntini, Amla, Duminy, Rabada and Ngidi) have been quality players although Duminy may have not quite realised his full potential at test level during his career. A few of the more recent guys have either struggled to adjust or have been inconsistent. Been following the 4 Day Franchise series and there have been some heartening performances but too many of the same people showing the same issues. Hamza is struggling for form and Bavuma has had starts without getting anything of significance. I really like Petersen and his form has been good (a shade over 400 at just under 50) which is why I mentioned him. Maybe Petersen has the quality we need and have been looking for. A lot also depends on whether Mpitsang decides on pushing FdP out the team or not ito how the batting unit might shape and who else might come into the conversation. Somebody like Linde for instance. Our biggest problem is more that many of our current squad, of all racial backgrounds, are not quite as good as their more famed predecessors with only a handful showing any potential to being a great of the SA game.

Personally I would rate QdK and Rabada as genuine World Class players with the rest being a mix of very good and/or average.

Artificially selecting players is no good for the sport an for all players irrespective of race. Pick the best side. Grow the brand. Develop at grass roots level an get youngsters into the sport. Sadly CSA has not done much in that regard.

If it means all 11 are purple then so be it. Think it’s time to see past race in sport.

So, given the brief discussion between myself and IceCreamMan it has led me to look at who might be in Victor Mpitsang’s Test squad. Please bear in mind that this squad I am putting forward is purely hypothetical and easiest if I present it as a possible strongest Test XI (if all are fit). I will bolden those I think are assured of a place in the XI whilst also showing who I think might be possible replacement or another candidate for the slots that not assured. I will give this season’s form for those who have played in the 4 Day Franchise Series in brackets. The Test XI in batting order:

Dean Elgar (Capt) (260 @ 37.14)

Aidan Markram (469 @ 78.16)

Keagan Petersen (346 @ 49.43)/Temba Bavuma (100@33.33)

Faf Du Plessis/Kyle Verreyne(247 @ 61.75)/Temba Bavuma

Rassie Van Der Dussen (33 @ 11) – He has shown some form in the T20I’s though.

George Linde (147 @ 36.75 & 11 @ 19.18)/Wiaan Mulder (247 @ 59.25 & 4 @ 49.5)

Quinton De Kock (WK)

Keshav Maharaj (37 @ 18.5 & 10 @ 35.21)

Anrich Nortje

Kagiso Rabada

Lungi Ngidi 

The other potential squad members include the following:

Sarel Erwee (422 @ 60.29)

Pieter Malan (326 @ 40.75)

Tabraiz Shamsi (15 @ 15.06)

Glenton Stuurman (3 @ 36)

Beuran Hendricks (11 @ 15.36)

Like I said in my previous post I am more concerned about the quality of our players given that we only seem to have two (QdK & KG) that are genuinely World Class. Faf’s time, one feels, is drawing to a close and he seems to becoming a little bit on the inconsistent side of late but that could also have been the stress of having to be the Captain as well as the senior most batsman. Kyle Verreyne seems the most likely to be given a shot at Test cricket but that could be at Faf’s expense or potentially in the allrounder slot which would mean that both Elgar and Markram may need to bowl in order to give the quicks a break. I really feel for Victor, he is going to have to make some tough calls regarding this squad and the Test team in general especially if we want to get it back to being a competitive unit. Just a side note: I got Petersen's figures slightly wrong in my previous post.