New bikes at VA indoor cycling

Trekker

Anyone else out there that are regular spinners at VA indoor cycling studios?

VA has thought it a good idea :angry: (NOT) to start replacing their spinning bikes (most of which being Star Track NXT Spinners) with an indoor trainer named the Tomahawk Matrix. The Tomahawk is a belt drive bike as opposed to the Star Track which was chain driven. The main difference is however that the new bikes do not seem to have heavy enough flywheels. Is there anyone else experiencing this? When you spin, the bike must surely hold some momentum in the flywheel, otherwise it is just a regular trainer, not?

I went to a different gym last night, which still sports the old Star Track bikes and even though the bikes are a bit run-down, it was such a pleasure riding on a proper spinning bike again.

I am really considering changing my gym membership to Planet Fitness, hoping that they still have proper spinning bikes. Any other ideas? I priced a 2nd hand Star Track NXT on Gumtree - Refurbished price R12500, which is a tad expensive for me, for home.

I have had no joy out of VA's top management as I have sent numerous emails to the MD, all of which have been intercepted by a smooth talking lady that insists that VA has done their homework on the new bikes and that I am the only one complaining.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. Also don't like the new bikes. Had a seriously sore knee (cap) after my workout on Monday. Probably related to a setup which is now a new discovery with settings I can hardly read or remember. Eyes and memory problem perhaps .... ? blush.gif

I've always enjoyed spinning , enjoy the music and can go when it's dark, and chat to all the regulars that go to the same class. My VA still has the old bikes, last time I checked, but even with that started to get sore knees and ankles. I just find the setup too different to my regular bike, plus my riding mates seem to get faster than I do by road training over the same time put in. So stopped spinning, now swim for extra cardio and ride my mtb around the neighborhood early bells during the week. Lonely but good.

Sorry for the question? But why would you want the flywheel to have momentum??? So that you don't have to pedal so hard? My VA still has the regular spinning bike but my bike is a much better workout as the wheels don't pull your legs foward in your weaker areas?

So on a spinning bike you don't use the full 360 coz your legs get pulled where on a normal bike you have you use your legs on the whole crank!!!

Sorry for the question? But why would you want the flywheel to have momentum??? So that you don't have to pedal so hard? My VA still has the regular spinning bike but my bike is a much better workout as the wheels don't pull your legs foward in your weaker areas?

So on a spinning bike you don't use the full 360 coz your legs get pulled where on a normal bike you have you use your legs on the whole crank!!!

You make a very valid point. But that is exactly it. A spinning bike should do that, i.e. force your legs around when you don't feel like it any more. If you have ever been on a track bike you would know what I mean. Fair enough, a track bike is way over the top as there is just no way you will get that to speed up or slow down as fast as you can do with a spinning bike. But a spinning bike should be somewhere between regular cycling and a track bike. Unfortunately the new bikes at VA do a pretty good job of not having momentum.

Having momentum is the trademark of spinning and if you love spinning you will know why this is essential.

Roodepoort just got these as well. I haven been back to spinning since... Looks like I also have to change gyms after the 94.7 to continue training. They say they are looking at it internally but until I get a mail saying those I,es are gone, I won't train there

Get on the new bikes and you will understand.

They are hideous. Built for gnomes who can't cycle. I'm 6 foot 3 and every time i get out the saddle on the new bike, my knees smash into the bars. Not ideal. :thumbdown:

Virgin Active have made a serious mistake with those bikes.

They are just simply not fit for purpose.

I refuse to use them. Will changed gym locations as they install those bikes - will even change to PF.

I instruct at VA but we still use the old bikes. One thing I can say for Planet Fitness (having instructed there) is that their bikes are not a great deal better.

Anyone else out there that are regular spinners at VA indoor cycling studios?

VA has thought it a good idea :angry: (NOT) to start replacing their spinning bikes (most of which being Star Track NXT Spinners) with an indoor trainer named the Tomahawk Matrix. The Tomahawk is a belt drive bike as opposed to the Star Track which was chain driven. The main difference is however that the new bikes do not seem to have heavy enough flywheels. Is there anyone else experiencing this? When you spin, the bike must surely hold some momentum in the flywheel, otherwise it is just a regular trainer, not?

I went to a different gym last night, which still sports the old Star Track bikes and even though the bikes are a bit run-down, it was such a pleasure riding on a proper spinning bike again.

I am really considering changing my gym membership to Planet Fitness, hoping that they still have proper spinning bikes. Any other ideas? I priced a 2nd hand Star Track NXT on Gumtree - Refurbished price R12500, which is a tad expensive for me, for home.

I have had no joy out of VA's top management as I have sent numerous emails to the MD, all of which have been intercepted by a smooth talking lady that insists that VA has done their homework on the new bikes and that I am the only one complaining.

What's next? The quality of the goodie bags or the image on the membership card? Vote with your feet then.. Will they miss you, sadly probably not

Trekker, I am all for reporting feedback to VA.

Would you like to share the tel number of the person you spoke to?

I have already given feedback to our local gym

(I dont want to shout and scream, but perhaps they may realise the error of their ways if they get a few members calling.)

I instruct at Sunninghill VA, who have recently changed to this new bike, in my opinion they are terrible. The aerobic coordinator suggested that some members have complianed but most like it, not sure when the survey was done? I have heard about a whole class walking out at Sandton because of the bikes, (not confirmed).

These classes at Sunninghill are very popular, I do not think the members will stay though based on the feedback I have been getting.

Although not an instructor anymore, I have sent through some comments to the big shots at VA. ;) :thumbup:

Lets see if the mail bounce! :lol: