New bikes at VA indoor cycling

Trekker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My gym still has the old 'nice' bikes.

In Gardens, CT, so for the CT guys there is hope.

It's only a matter of time...

The problem with the new bikes is that when you stand and pedal, the movement seems jerky and uneven. Its almost like you cant get enough resistance on the fly wheel, until its so tight that it simply stops turning.

Anyone else out there that are regular spinners at VA indoor cycling studios?

VA has thought it a good idea :angry: (NOT) to start replacing their spinning bikes (most of which being Star Track NXT Spinners) with an indoor trainer named the Tomahawk Matrix. The Tomahawk is a belt drive bike as opposed to the Star Track which was chain driven. The main difference is however that the new bikes do not seem to have heavy enough flywheels. Is there anyone else experiencing this? When you spin, the bike must surely hold some momentum in the flywheel, otherwise it is just a regular trainer, not?

I went to a different gym last night, which still sports the old Star Track bikes and even though the bikes are a bit run-down, it was such a pleasure riding on a proper spinning bike again.

I am really considering changing my gym membership to Planet Fitness, hoping that they still have proper spinning bikes. Any other ideas? I priced a 2nd hand Star Track NXT on Gumtree - Refurbished price R12500, which is a tad expensive for me, for home.

I have had no joy out of VA's top management as I have sent numerous emails to the MD, all of which have been intercepted by a smooth talking lady that insists that VA has done their homework on the new bikes and that I am the only one complaining.

Hey Trekker,

I followed up with that email addy you gave me for VA. I got a very impressive note from that chickeroo... She said that the MD asked her to personally give my letter her most urgent attention. Haven't heard anything since then.

Here's hoping that VA soon come to the realisation of the error of their ways...

Hey Trekker,

I followed up with that email addy you gave me for VA. I got a very impressive note from that chickeroo... She said that the MD asked her to personally give my letter her most urgent attention. Haven't heard anything since then.

Here's hoping that VA soon come to the realisation of the error of their ways...

Wow, internesting reading all the negative comments.

I went on a new spinning bike at VA Tableview the other night and I absolutely loved it. It was so smooth, quiet and a lot more comfortable. I wonder if maybe these new bikes are designed slighly more to work with male and female as the geometry suits me a lot better (I used to find the length too long on the old ones).

Wow, internesting reading all the negative comments.

I went on a new spinning bike at VA Tableview the other night and I absolutely loved it. It was so smooth, quiet and a lot more comfortable. I wonder if maybe these new bikes are designed slighly more to work with male and female as the geometry suits me a lot better (I used to find the length too long on the old ones).

Wow Ratty, just don't use bike #30 and please tell me which one you were on. Like MorewoodMad says, the movement is jerky and uneven (almost like going through mud then dry patches), especially on a higher resistance. Wonder if there's any logic behind the "sweat" theory?

Hey Trekker,

You mean:

"Thanks for contacting Ross.

He has flagged your feedback and asked me to personally deal with it.

Regards

Chanelle

Virgin Active"

Automated response I'm afraid. <_<

I did send the link to this thread to the women from VA I was chatting to re these bikes, hopefully they are tracking this topic and ARE actually doing something about it and not just fobbing us off on nice emails about how we are personally dealing with it and then Just hoping we will succumb and give in and shut up.

Dean

Maybe they recently bought shares in an indoor trainer company. Sales should be at an all time high by next year winter at this rate.

I have complained to both the MD and Club Manager with the same message. Let's see what their response is, although I'm not holding my breath. The capital outlay of this upgrade must have been massive, and I'm not sure how their Sales Agreement with the hardware provider will allow them to claim for faulty equipment and/or damages, especially since the ink on the agreement isn't even dry yet.

Edited by flymango

Tried the new bikes at VA Table View. Throw them into the sea. Whoever made the decision is clueless.

Well, If you think about it, they've just spent massive amounts on these bikes for most of their gyms (like flymango said) and unless they've kept the old ones there isn't much they can do...

They can't return them because the customers don't like them, can they?

I actually received a reply from the GM at my club (Faerie Glen). It seems as if they are really convinced that the new bikes are the bee's knees. :blink: Here's what I got:

"Good morning Dawie

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concern as I value your feedback on the new spinning bikes. Just some information:

The previous spinning bikes was very old and gave us alot of problems in the last couple of months. The turnaround time on the maintenance was also way too long, and the company had to look at a new and better product / company. We strive to ensure that our bikes is up and running for every class of the day and it was hardly possible with the previous bikes. We have also received alot of great feedback on the new spinning bikes.

The old and new bikes is definitely different and something that one needs to get used to. The new bikes have a belt where the old bikes had a chain, therefor it will feel softer. Also note that the resistance on the new bikes is different than the previous ones.

I will however send this feedback through to our head office and discuss with them as we really value our members input and feedback on our clubs.

Thanks again for the e-mail and should you have any other questions / concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Have a great day!"

When the resistance is high, the down stroke slips as if cycling through mud. Some guy after the class said it also happened to him and it was sweat on the flywheel. blink.gif

Interesting. I have not tried the new bikes, but the old bikes seem to have the opposite effect; when sweat drips on the flywheel it actually feels as if you have hit a grassy or sandy patch for a few seconds. If I cover the complete handlebar with a towel it rarely happens.

What has VA done with all the old bikes? Maybe a good opportunity for an enterprising person to open some spin studios with refurbished VA bikes ?

I instruct at Sunninghill VA, who have recently changed to this new bike, in my opinion they are terrible. The aerobic coordinator suggested that some members have complianed but most like it, not sure when the survey was done? I have heard about a whole class walking out at Sandton because of the bikes, (not confirmed).

These classes at Sunninghill are very popular, I do not think the members will stay though based on the feedback I have been getting.

Gaza, where did you go?

I heard through the grapevine you quit because of the new machinery?

The Wednesday morning class is now being taken by Geriatric Geoff.

Seems the bikes are scaring the good instructors off as well.

Not good VA...

:thumbdown: