Fox fork shudder

MTB_Roadie

I have a question, when pulling my front brake of my mountain bike when stopping my Fox fork shudders, almost like something prevents it from going in to help with the stop and then there is heavy vibration.

Fork is a Fox RL32 that came on a 2011 Giant XTC 29er.

What causes this?

I thought maybe the disc is is whapped from being hot and going through water but not sure.

I normaly try and stay out of trouble, but this one I can't resist. :D :D :D

That there is exactly your problem. :P

Have you checked that its not the headset thats loose? Rock the bike and forth with the front brakes locked and you should be able to identify where the 'play' is.

Edited by Puncher

I normaly try and stay out of trouble, but this one I can't resist. :D :D :D

That there is exactly your problem. :P

*ignore* *block*

Have you checked that its not the headset thats loose? Rock the bike and forth with the front brakes locked and you should be able to identify where the 'play' is.

I did check already...got a feeling it might be the disc, there is no play on the fork....works fine when riding, just when using front brake :thumbdown:

There is play in the fork between the fork legs and fork tubes. This allows the lower legs to move back under braking. A service wirh new seals etc should cure it .....I have the same problem with my Rockshox but can't find anyone to service them up here!!!

There is play in the fork between the fork legs and fork tubes. This allows the lower legs to move back under braking. A service wirh new seals etc should cure it .....I have the same problem with my Rockshox but can't find anyone to service them up here!!!

As far as I know Johan Bornman at yellowsaddle does fork servicing.

I have a question, when pulling my front brake of my mountain bike when stopping my Fox fork shudders, almost like something prevents it from going in to help with the stop and then there is heavy vibration.

What causes this?

I thought maybe the disc is is whapped from being hot and going through water but not sure.

I also have this exact same issue on my XTC 29er at the moment. Still trying to figure out where the problem lies.

Have you checked if the rotor is properly fastend? Mine shudderd, turned out to be the rotor!

Haha, actually I have not, everytime I want to I forget, maybe the bolts of the disc is lose cause I have a good feeling it is.

I also have this exact same issue on my XTC 29er at the moment. Still trying to figure out where the problem lies.

If it is a fork problem I am going to report it so they know thereof.

check

1. headset

2. disk

3. fork

Will check the disk tonight

As far as I know Johan Bornman at yellowsaddle does fork servicing.

Is Yellow Saddle an accredited service center for shocks and will it effect your warranty? I have asked this in a topic I created earlier and I'm quite keen to get in contact with them when I have all the information available to attend a course on maintenance/servicing and wheel building.

New seals "etc" won't cure bushing play. And your man "up there" will be Johan Bornman !