When to quit?

emiljs

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain as I am in a similar position with injuries and weight.Last year I was one of the strong ones in our group, this year I am the weakest link.Go and do your best on the day, if you get blown off by your team then so be it. What I do know is that by dumping all the weight so quickly you will only weaken your self .You may be a lot lighter but you will also lack strength, which will tell on the last 30km.Just do your best on the day and remember that there is always another race around the corner. :)

Edited by majestic

I do agree with what Zula said but your issue is you have lost all you base miles/endurance thus at this stage you just want to finish the DC, doing intervals now for someone in your condition will put pressure on the immune system.

My advise ride easy dont stress your body to much.

I am also following a strict diet now. I am loosing about 1 kg a day currently.

WHAT? darwin material. Dude just feed yself well and sensible and train sensible and finish the ride, above all, accept with all you faced you will not have a bumper ride and get on with it

A kilo a day? What diet is that? All you can eat curry diet?

I once went on a diet like that. You eat a piece of dodgy chicken on the first day. From the second or third day onwards, you lose about 1kg per day until around the 9th day.

I've done the dc 10times(3 times top 10 team), 3 Epics and hundreds of other races. This year I am not riding . Broke ankle in July, then a kidney stone 2 weeks ago. Not fit= No ride! If you are in doubt, leave it out . That is the golden rule of training. You are doing yourself more harm than good and you are not even getting paid for that. Relax

Great advise from the above guys!

I spoke with a pro last night - gave him a similar question.

His response was that you cant improve your fitness in a week. The body will need up to 48hrs to recover from training that is heavier than what it's used to. Plus, loosing more than 4kg per month is never clever.

Dude, dont quit the event. I assume you are already entered and paid. All you can do now is see it as the beginning of your base trainging. Go out there and relax. Enjoy it

I think you must make peace with one thing. Things have not gone according to plan. To overreact is not going to change it. Decide what you want to achieve with the DC at this moment in time. I you want to achieve your original goals then my advice call it a day. If however you change your goals and decide to just ride it no matter what time you get then go ahead and enjoy. Will be tough. But dropping the weight like that is setting yourself up for disaster.

Whats that comment about what you do today will count in 6 weeks time? In other words your training program should therefore peak 6 weeks before the event?

Whats that comment about what you do today will count in 6 weeks time? In other words your training program should therefore peak 6 weeks before the event?

Most of the training programmes I've seen peaks about 3 - 4 weaks before the event.

Hi Guys

I need help! The DC is 10 days away and I am far from ready as I am now.

Saturday I weighed 97. My aim is 88. DC time aim: +-7 hours. I can do a Argus in sub 3 when I am really fit.

This year has been a particular bad year for me in respect to injuries and illness. I broke my shoulder about 15 weeks ago in a MTB event. As soon as I was able to use my arm again I caught a monster of a flue which kept me off the bike for another month. I climbed on the bike the first time again on Saturday 12/11. I am also following a strict diet now. I am loosing about 1 kg a day currently.

My training plan:

Saturday 12/11 105km by myself (I almost died of exhaustion - Was still coughing)

Tuesday 15/11 3 hour ride (Very weak in the climbs - Heart rate through the roof)

Wed 16/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 17/11 3 hour ride

Fri 18/11 Rest

Satur 19/11 6 hour ride

Sun 20/11 Rest

Mon 21/11 3 hour ride

Tues 22/11 3 hour ride

Wed 23/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 24/11 - 25/11 Rest

Would this schedule help at all, or am I fooling myself and delaying the inevitable result that I would not be ready??

Thanks for your input.

What is your resting Heart Rate doing?

If you train with flu you will do your self a lot of harm. It sounds that you already did. Your symtoms of being weak in the climbs and high heart rate is exactly the same as what i experianced after training with flu. I actualy damaged my heart muscle and it took more than 4 months of very low activity to recover. No race is worth it. I tried it for ironman. The program you are proposing will send you straight into overtraining three weeks before the event. BAd idea. The best you can do right now is to take two weeks off recover completely and lower your expectation of the DC. Burn out will cost you months of no training and guarenteed weight gain.

I've nevewr done a DC, and don't intend to. But is it so tragic to go as far as you can and whatever speed is comfortable? If you don't make it, at least you tried. If you do make it, you can have the reward of a beer or two. You're not going to win every race in life.