When to quit?

emiljs

Hi Guys

I need help! The DC is 10 days away and I am far from ready as I am now.

Saturday I weighed 97. My aim is 88. DC time aim: +-7 hours. I can do a Argus in sub 3 when I am really fit.

This year has been a particular bad year for me in respect to injuries and illness. I broke my shoulder about 15 weeks ago in a MTB event. As soon as I was able to use my arm again I caught a monster of a flue which kept me off the bike for another month. I climbed on the bike the first time again on Saturday 12/11. I am also following a strict diet now. I am loosing about 1 kg a day currently.

My training plan:

Saturday 12/11 105km by myself (I almost died of exhaustion - Was still coughing)

Tuesday 15/11 3 hour ride (Very weak in the climbs - Heart rate through the roof)

Wed 16/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 17/11 3 hour ride

Fri 18/11 Rest

Satur 19/11 6 hour ride

Sun 20/11 Rest

Mon 21/11 3 hour ride

Tues 22/11 3 hour ride

Wed 23/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 24/11 - 25/11 Rest

Would this schedule help at all, or am I fooling myself and delaying the inevitable result that I would not be ready??

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing 1kg per day cannot be healthy. Hope you are not dehydrating yourself....

As for the event.... remember that a lot is in the mind........ Are you willing to go to places in terms of pain that you have never gone before?

I think most people will tell you not to compete but I can assure you on the other hand that if you do and actually make it, that you will be a different person for the better after this event.......

Hi Guys

Saturday I weighed 97. My aim is 88. DC time aim: +-7 hours. I can do a Argus in sub 3 when I am really fit.

This year has been a particular bad year for me in respect to injuries and illness. I broke my shoulder about 15 weeks ago in a MTB event. As soon as I was able to use my arm again I caught a monster of a flue which kept me off the bike for another month. I climbed on the bike the first time again on Saturday 12/11. I am also following a strict diet now. I am loosing about 1 kg a day currently.

My training plan:

Saturday 12/11 105km by myself (I almost died of exhaustion - Was still coughing)

Tuesday 15/11 3 hour ride (Very weak in the climbs - Heart rate through the roof)

Wed 16/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 17/11 3 hour ride

Fri 18/11 Rest

Satur 19/11 6 hour ride

Sun 20/11 Rest

Mon 21/11 3 hour ride

Tues 22/11 3 hour ride

Wed 23/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 24/11 - 25/11 Rest

Would this schedule help at all, or am I fooling myself and delaying the inevitable result that I would not be ready??

Thanks for your input.

Just don't overdo it either dude - the worst thing you can do is now try over compensate for the lack of training and then die on the DC.

My training schedule has not been great either since the spring season started, but I have been racing almost every weekend which does seem to have helped. My team is looking at a 6:30 to 7:00 for the DC this year.

I cannot give advice on how to get 'fit' in a little over a week, but I would like to know what diet you are following. I currently weight 96Kg's and would love to get to 88Kg's but getting there isn't working.

To my mind, maybe rest is what you actually need - recover 100% before taking on this DC.

Edit: never underestimate the mind. Your body knows the drill of racing - just get well so that your body can perform as expected.

Edited by Tiny K

Hi Guys

My training plan:

Wed 16/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 17/11 3 hour ride

Fri 18/11 Rest

Satur 19/11 6 hour ride

Sun 20/11 Rest

Mon 21/11 3 hour ride

Tues 22/11 3 hour ride

Wed 23/11 3 hour ride

Thurs 24/11 - 25/11 Rest

Thanks for your input.

I would think hard training within 10 days of the race will do more harm than good. Apparently what you do now counts in three weeks time.

Also, beware of that diet of yours - surely going to weaken you and your immune system.

Hi Guys

A KG a day is way too much. You will lose muscle as well as fat there. And losing too much muscle can lead to all sorts of issues

Met alle respek gese om 1kg gewig per dag te verloor is n dom ding om te doen veral as jy so hard oefen en vir lank nie geoefen het.Dit is nie gesond.

Off the bike for a long break, then in 10 days you are planning to lose 9kg and train +-25 hours at the same time??

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

your going to bomb so bad....you need to increase on food to sustain energy....losing +-11kg's in 2 weeks is asking for trouble.

Off the bike for a long break, then in 10 days you are planning to lose 9kg and train +-25 hours at the same time??

+1

stem saam, dit vat tyd om fiks te word :)

Dude your plan above is ridiculous. You may not be at race weight and you may have had a bad run up to the event in terms of training but I promise you now, that if you adopt that crazy strategy of yours you will end up doing a 10hr DC and probably hating every minute of it.

Here is what I would do given that there is a week and a half left.

Diet:

Stay hydrated over the next 2 weeks. Easy on the coffee and the booze or match ml for ml with water. Eat plenty brightly colored fruit and veg, and have a few extra carbs toward the end of next week before the event. Go buy a tub of 32gi and you will be sorted for the event.

Training:

Ideally by now you want to maintain intensity but cut volume so I would recommend that your weekly sessions be shorter but with a higher intensity. On Saturday head out for a 3/4 hour ride at a solid pace. The objective is TITS and not to nuke yourself.

If you lose that much weight between then and now it is NOT healthy. Guidelines recommend that the most a person should lose is a kg per week.

Good luck and stay positive, you'll get through it!

A KG a day my man you will be sick time DC starts -- eat sensibly and ride 200 easy Endurance miles between now and the 23rd, rest for 2 days and then 1 hr with a few short kicks on the 26th then race day 27th.