Epic s-works 29er vs Superfly Pro

GoatBoy

I'm taking the plunge on getting a beast of a bike and my two options are the Specialized Epic S-Works 29er or the Trek Superfly Pro 100. I would appreciate the views of the guru's out there on which one is the better choice.

I'll be using the bike for stage racing, XC

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you decide on the Trek i hope for your part it doesn't break... because in my opinion the local distributors are absolutely useless. :thumbdown:

lekker problem to have...demmit

No guru here but if you afford either, go for the spez.

PS I am on the GF so not biased at all.

lekker problem to have...demmit

No guru here but if you afford either, go for the spez.

PS I am on the GF so not biased at all.

Thanks - any particular reason you'd recommend the Spez?

does the names sauser,stander,stoltz,hugo,kulhavy to mention a few ring any bells???

If i had to choose between the 2 i would go with the spez.Having said that remember with spez you are stuck with thier fork and 142 rear axle and wheels.If you have a problem with the rear hub then you are stuffed beacause they dont have spare hubs and will have to buy a whole new set of wheels.The GOLD standard and to me still the BEST 29er FS is the Santa Cruz Tallboy.That would be my number 1 choice if i were looking at all 29er FS.

Edited by stringbean

Wow

Dude its a no brainer. If I were you (and Im probably talking for half the hub here) I would go with the Specialized.

Just look at the results that they have had over the years.

Like I said, NO BRAINER! The only downside is the service costs, but if you can afford a R90k bike I am assuming the service costs should be ok.

As for the Trek, I have only heard horror stories about the back up service so I would steer very clear of them.

Edited by Zula

I haven't had an issue with my GF so its not based on that. They are both great bikes let's face it and both companies spend huge amounts ito R&D...but the spez takes it on the line because of the brain tech even with Trek's ABP which I really like

If you take the top 10 finishers in XC, any of that bikes will be more than good enough for us, you count use that bikes full potential so why pay an arm and a leg. The Spez is also my dream bike but too loose like R40K on a bike is a lot of money. My zim dollar (Exc rate Zim$1-0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001SA sent :(

If you decide on the Trek i hope for your part it doesn't break... because in my opinion the local distributors are absolutely useless. :thumbdown:

GOOD NEWS ... the Trek agency for SA has been recently taken over by Tregger Sports and they should do a good job looking after the SA market .... after my request for rim strips on my Bonti tubeless rims I found out about them just taking over the agency.

They let me know they were receiving stock soon and then last night I found a nice little package waiting for me at home with the new rim strips in ....

Give the new Trek agents a chance ;)

Now RE the ride between the two I would try and get a demo bike if I was you.

If i had to choose between the 2 i would go with the spez.Having said that remember with spez you are stuck with thier fork and 142 rear axle and wheels.If you have a problem with the rear hub then you are stuffed beacause they dont have spare hubs and will have to buy a whole new set of wheels.The GOLD standard and to me still the BEST 29er FS is the Santa Cruz Tallboy.That would be my number 1 choice if i were looking at all 29er FS.

Don't you mean Trek?

GOOD NEWS ... the Trek agency for SA has been recently taken over by Tregger Sports and they should do a good job looking after the SA market .... after my request for rim strips on my Bonti tubeless rims I found out about them just taking over the agency.

They let me know they were receiving stock soon and then last night I found a nice little package waiting for me at home with the new rim strips in ....

Give the new Trek agents a chance ;)

Now RE the ride between the two I would try and get a demo bike if I was you.

The Tregers have owned the Trek agency for years. It was just under a different name of Just Fun. I think there was a big unbundling an Trek got moved around. So dont kid yourself, not much has changed.

I hope for their sake that the service level improves. I think it is ridiculous that one of the worlds leading cycling brands treats their customers as badly as they have in RSA. People have generally had nothing good to say about the after sales service in the past.

The Tregers have owned the Trek agency for years. It was just under a different name of Just Fun. I think there was a big unbundling an Trek got moved around. So dont kid yourself, not much has changed.

I hope for their sake that the service level improves. I think it is ridiculous that one of the worlds leading cycling brands treats their customers as badly as they have in RSA. People have generally had nothing good to say about the after sales service in the past.

Is CycleLab connected to Just Fun/Treger ?

i.e. what other shops stock/supply Trek bikes?

Don't you mean Trek?

Yes indeed...manfrog is right, G2 Fox fork has a offset...trek specific. So you can't just slap a RS reba on it.

Edited by rouxtjie