polar vs endomondo

hi guys

i am currently using polar with a speed sensors etc along with Endomondo on my training rides , i have however noticed that the average speed readings of the two always differ by about 2km/h (endomondo being slower ). now endomondo works on gps , so would its reading be more accurate ?

The Polar would be very accurate if you calibrate it correctly.

Some thing about a GPS that you need to know is that the speed is very accurate vs the position. It is strange but you GPS will have difficulty finding your true position but it should not have any problem finding your relevant potion change aka speed, therefore i would go with the Endomondo if it works with a GPS. if you upload your track to google maps you could have a noticeable offset to the track you where one but the speed and path should be very accurate.

The Polar would be very accurate if you calibrate it correctly.

Some thing about a GPS that you need to know is that the speed is very accurate vs the position. It is strange but you GPS will have difficulty finding your true position but it should not have any problem finding your relevant potion change aka speed, therefore i would go with the Endomondo if it works with a GPS. if you upload your track to google maps you could have a noticeable offset to the track you where one but the speed and path should be very accurate.

The reason that you will get an offset position when importing a .gpx or .gdb (GPS files) to Google Earth is that the mapmakers of GPS units take the curvature of the earth into consideration, whereas the mapmakers of Google Earth do not.

The difference in position could be a few metres to almost a hundred metres.

GPS positioning and speed is much more accurate than any other form of distance/speed measurement BUT it may also be off, as it does not always take you elevation into account.

If you were to travel down a mountain at speed, your speed as shown on the GPS should theoretically drop, as you forward movement is not consistant with your elevaltion. Fortunately most GPS devices used for cycling have a seperate magnetic speed pick-up attached to one of the wheels, which shows the speed. If it is calibrated correctly,most Garmin devices (Edge 200/500/305/705 etc) will take the speed pick-up and the GPS speed/position into consideration, and using various algorithms, give you the true speed and positioning.

I have found the same thing with my 725.Endmondo about 2km/h faster avg but distance is shorter than with the 725.Calories burned is way higher on endmondo than on 725.

hi guys

i am currently using polar with a speed sensors etc along with Endomondo on my training rides , i have however noticed that the average speed readings of the two always differ by about 2km/h (endomondo being slower ). now endomondo works on gps , so would its reading be more accurate ?

1. Distance - Polar and any other computer using a speed sensor will always be more accrate than a GPS as long as the wheel size has been measured accurately.

2. Altitude gain - Polar and any computer with Barometric altimeter will have reasonably accurate meters gained etc but GPS (eg Endomondo) can't get close.

how accurate is the cal. totals?? i have heard that is the biggest difference :unsure:

Calories on Endomondo means jack all!

Calories on Endomondo is calculated using a duration based calculator. You can press start and leave the phone on your desk for three hours, on your return you would have burned something stupid like 3000cal.

One key factor is missing and not taken into account in Endomondo ... your heart rate! Unless your using a bluetooth HR belt.

The older Garmin Edge 305 and 705 also used this duration based calculation. The newer Edge 500 and 800 uses a different and much more accurate calculation ... although the whole calorie calculation is based on averages.

I have done 3 hour rides where the Garmin Edge 500 says I have burned 1900 calories while Endomondo says something stupid like 5000 calories :lol:

The Cals in the Polar should be spot on if you have set your VO2 MAX index number.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

have do disagree with the garmin statement. they base it on distance versus time and it is within 2% of my polar so its fairly accurate for a non heartrate based calculation. endomondo however..... reason why i asked is that my training pardners and i see who can burn the most cals in a month and im the only one who uploads my data to endomondo instead of running the app on my phone and i seem to be losing big time :blink:

hi guys

my endomondo and bike comp do the same....