What watch are you wearing?

gummibear

Nice man, like the design on it.

Often go past the Rosebank Market to check out the antique stuff, especially cameras and watches.

I always check out second hand shops for watches and hi-fi equipment.....never know when you can get a real bargain.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always check out second hand shops for watches and hi-fi equipment.....never know when you can get a real bargain.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Bought it with my savings and help from my dad about 24 years ago. Cost R 7000 then. A good investment.

Great watch :thumbup:

Now you see what i mean about cars,a good Swiss watch will appreciate over time but a car will depreciate.

That is one of the best sellers in the Rolex range.

With the last 2 price increases Rolex has made it very difficult for the avg person to buy one.Looks like they only want the super rich to wear them.

Oooooooooooh, I like JB's collection. I'm wearing a Polar F11 piece of **** that can't upload details to the web (ps: I have a strap and monitor for anyone who wants it free, but you have to collect in Rondebosch Thursday or Friday evening). My late Dad's Buren from the 1940s is in Joburg and I'll get that.

Another one of my passions... watches! I have a Casio G-Shock Mudman Rally for everyday use, Casio Edifice (Sebastian Vetell edition, not the Red Bull one) for weekends and going out and my baby is away at the moment :( I inherrited a 1972 Omega Speedmaster from my Dad who bought it new in Switzerland when he was there. I have had it packed away in the safe after he passed away 5 years ago and recently took it out to get it fixed. It is currently away in Switzerland for some repairs and a service. Should be back early next year. Can't wait!! Oh and a Polar S720i for spinning.

Some pictures:

The G-Shock

post-17843-0-17221000-1322039182.jpg

The Edifice

post-17843-0-61678600-1322039201.jpg.

post-17843-0-47424900-1322039251.jpg

My Baby!

post-17843-0-37878100-1322039259.jpg

post-17843-0-20633200-1322039274.jpg

Great watch :thumbup:

Now you see what i mean about cars,a good Swiss watch will appreciate over time but a car will depreciate.

That is one of the best sellers in the Rolex range.

With the last 2 price increases Rolex has made it very difficult for the avg person to buy one.Looks like they only want the super rich to wear them.

A mate of mine offered me his Submariner for 25k last month. Didn't have the Ammo lying around to buy it. He sold it last week in Munich, must ask what he got for it when he gets back.

Maybe the watch aficionados can help me make a choice...

I need advice. I sent my Omega Speedmaster in for a service. It ended up with the agents in Switzerland and they have given me two options:

1st option is to keep it in it's original condition (Bought in 1972 by my father when he was in Switzerland) and replace the worn internal parts and seals leaving it looking as is.

2nd option is to completely restore the watch. The only original part will be the caseback with the serial number on it. Everything else will be replaced with a new part. In other words I get a brand new watch with an old caseback

There is sentimental value attached to the "old" watch in it's current condition which is playing on my mind at the moment and keeping me at option 1. (I inherited the watch 5 years ago after my Dad passed away)

Any opinions will be appreciated.

I need advice. I sent my Omega Speedmaster in for a service. It ended up with the agents in Switzerland and they have given me two options:

1st option is to keep it in it's original condition (Bought in 1972 by my father when he was in Switzerland) and replace the worn internal parts and seals leaving it looking as is.

2nd option is to completely restore the watch. The only original part will be the caseback with the serial number on it. Everything else will be replaced with a new part. In other words I get a brand new watch with an old caseback

There is sentimental value attached to the "old" watch in it's current condition which is playing on my mind at the moment and keeping me at option 1. (I inherited the watch 5 years ago after my Dad passed away)

The sentimental me says option one.

In Europe and America there are many watchmakers that will work on it and you could get the work done quite cheap but the agents will charge a fortune.

Keep it original but have the glass polished and internals serviced while it's there.

The sentimental me says option one.

In Europe and America there are many watchmakers that will work on it and you could get the work done quite cheap but the agents will charge a fortune.

Keep it original but have the glass polished and internals serviced while it's there.

Keep it real... I'm watching you....

You know that feeling that you get when you are swinging on a chair and you lean back and you go too far and almost fall over but you save it in time and bring it back...?

Well that is how I feel reading those comments!! Thanks guys. I almost went with option 2, but took the weekend to think about it and realised that I would lose my Dad's watch if I went that route.

I decided to enquire about a clean up for the outside and an internal service to fix the leak and the reason for it stopping at random. They have quoted to clean and polish the externals and replace the broken/worn bits on the inside with a pressure test etc.

It is currently in Switzerland with the agents as we speak.

I was leaning heavily towards option 1 but wanted an objective point of view and you gave me just that.

Thanks!