I need new running shoes

Seeker911

OK so I go get my new pair of Cumulus 13 shoes from Randburg Runner at an amazing price of R995 and I am very happy with myself. Goodbye Sportsmans W.

I entered the Tough One a 32km run last Sunday. So the first first 15k's are smooth sailing. At the 16k mark I detect a pain in my left knee which gradually gets worse. At the 21k mark (2hrs) I grind to a complete halt. I cannot run anymore my left knee is killing me. I ended up walking the last 10 k's to the finish and crossed the finish line in 4h10. What a frikken disaster. Even the grannies were faster than me. Cant remember the last time I felt so useless. The comment from one of the marshalls about triathletes walking did'nt help either. Total humiliation.

So I am walking and thinking WTF ! what has caused this happen. I ask myself what has changed ? What is new ? My brand new running shoes !! ok so I'm not so sure this is the cause but what else could it be ? Should I not have used my new shoes so soon ?

OK so I go get my new pair of Cumulus 13 shoes from Randburg Runner at an amazing price of R995 and I am very happy with myself. Goodbye Sportsmans W.

I entered the Tough One a 32km run last Sunday. So the first first 15k's are smooth sailing. At the 16k mark I detect a pain in my left knee which gradually gets worse. At the 21k mark (2hrs) I grind to a complete halt. I cannot run anymore my left knee is killing me. I ended up walking the last 10 k's to the finish and crossed the finish line in 4h10. What a frikken disaster. Even the grannies were faster than me. Cant remember the last time I felt so useless. The comment from one of the marshalls about triathletes walking did'nt help either. Total humiliation.

So I am walking and thinking WTF ! what has caused this happen. I ask myself what has changed ? What is new ? My brand new running shoes !! ok so I'm not so sure this is the cause but what else could it be ? Should I not have used my new shoes so soon ?

That sucks!

I would have worn them in for a while before doing a 32k race in brand new shoes. They need to bed in etc which can be done over 20/30k's but broken down into shorter runs of 5k's etc

Where was the pain in your left knee?

I don't know if its the new shoes as you've previously run in Cumulus 12's although as Zula says, it would have been better to run them in.

Possible runners knee or ITB? Don't really know for sure.

I had a similar issue with a pair of Salomon XA Pro shoes. First time i ran in them i was super impressed by their support and comfort. Then when i started upping distance the problem started... Literally at the 15km mark my knee gave in, also hobbled home.

Went to the physio, first thing she asked was what shoes, i said Salomon, to which she replied there's your problem! I went back to new balance and a week later the problem was gone and i was running 20 - 30km's easy!

The physio said the shoes were too soft for a fatty like me, so i reckon go to a good physio and see what they say.

Sound like ITB. Too much or to fast to soon? Or are you a regular runner? Worse downhill?

I prever Asic Ds trainers. They have much less cushioning, your support muscles gets stronger rather than relying on cushioning to do the work and get weaker.

google jordans factory outlet. They 'make' asics and you will be able to find stock for about R 600-00 for the most expensive ones.

google jordans factory outlet. They 'make' asics and you will be able to find stock for about R 600-00 for the most expensive ones.

shhhhhhhhhhush man, can't you keep a good secret quiet?

Where was the pain in your left knee?

I don't know if its the new shoes as you've previously run in Cumulus 12's although as Zula says, it would have been better to run them in.

Possible runners knee or ITB? Don't really know for sure.

Pain is on the outside of the left knee feels like its just under the cap.

I run fairly regularly. Mon, Wed and Fri (9k's plus 1hr swim) . Tue and Thu are cycle days 2hr session ea. lots of hills. Sat is day off and Sunday could be brick session or race depending on what's happening. Some days work or family stuff will interfere and those days are lost and I never try make them up so to speak. I have being doing the above routine for about 1 year without any issues.

The distances are pretty much always the same as time is always a factor. What has changed over the last 8 weeks has been the increase in the amount of Aerobic and Lactate threshold work I have been doing which I am guessing is probably the cause. What prompted me into thinking I needed new shoes was I started to develop heel pain over the last 4 weeks especially the next day after a run but again this was probably just an indication of too much training.

Anyway gonna make an appointment and go see some professional people and take a few weeks off and relax.

I once got an ITB syndrome after/during a half marathon. In the runup I never ran further than 10km. Physio/Orthoped said it was overuse. Could it be the case here?

I am no expert, but there is quite a difference between 9km and 32km.

Nose on the table - it is all that works (Benita de Wit stretch)

I once got an ITB syndrome after/during a half marathon. In the runup I never ran further than 10km. Physio/Orthoped said it was overuse. Could it be the case here?

I am no expert, but there is quite a difference between 9km and 32km.

Nose on the table - it is all that works (Benita de Wit stretch)

Is this what you are referring to "http://www.lynosport.co.za/". Looks kinda scary at my age I may never survive a "Bunkie" or "Stretch" test . Maybe I'll get a good looking therapist :)

Is this what you are referring to "http://www.lynosport.co.za/". Looks kinda scary at my age I may never survive a "Bunkie" or "Stretch" test . Maybe I'll get a good looking therapist :)

Basically the stretch on the far right picture. Benita de Wit described it roughly as follows in RunnersWorld a couple of years ago.

Find a table/bench that is hip height - place your leg on the table, bent at 90%. Lean forward to touch your nose on the table. The effect is basically the same as on that lynosport website.

It worked for me, have never struggled with ITB again, since 2005. I admit I do not run much, but ran a marathon and IM earlier this year. And I had no ITB issues through training and the runs.

Edited by bontie

Outside of the knee is ITB territory but under the knee cap is runners knee.

I don't know if it is an overuse injury, if you would have felt the pain after 25k, then possibly yes, but after only 15k, I'm not too sure.

My suggestion is to get back out on the road in your old shoes and see what happens.

I've recently changed form Asics to New Balance, couldn't be happier! Give New Balance a try, they're awesome shoes, I never thought I'd find a better fit than Asics, I was wrong....