Replace Dura-Ace STI or Switch to Ultegra?

Marc Perel

SRAM :thumbup: :thumbup:

It does get temperamental at times, but thats mainly the mtb stuff.

The shifts are shorter and it feels more intuitive, for me.

I can strongly advise.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur, just wondering if there are any benefits of a switch. Plus I can sell the other parts for some rebate too.

Couldn't you just switch the shifters and leave the other parts? That may be the cheapest option.

I dunno, but my 2cents worth:

I'm riding a second hand Dura Ace 7800 this year and it has been handling like a real dream... But I was chatting to some serious guys about what my new bike should look like and 100% consensus on Sram. All the guys I look up to tell me that Sram is just 100x better and I dont even need to go for the top of the range Sram groupo...

Edited by Nickzta

I dunno, but my 2cents worth:

I'm riding a second hand Dura Ace 7800 this year and it has been handling like a real dream... But I was chatting to some serious guys about what my new bike should look like and 100% consensus on Sram. All the guys I look up to tell me that Sram is just 100x better and I dont even need to go for the top of the range Sram groupo...

What makes it 100x better? It shifts gears and brakes the wheels just like ultegra/dura ace

I'm a big sram fan. In fact my mtb is equipped with X0 so don't get me wrong. But to say something is 100x better than an awesome product (ultegra) is a load of shite imho. I am a huge fan of shimano. There is nothing wrong with their products.

EDIT: I will concede that SRAM is significantly lighter than shimano

Edited by Zula

But to say something is 100x better than an awesome product (ultegra) is a load of shite imho.

I think 100x is not literal in this case.

I think 100x is not literal in this case.

Obviously

My point is more about the fact that shimano really is great quality and not the sh1tmano as sometimes referred to.

Try out Sram, you might not like the shifting and feel.

Both work but I like Sram and how mechanical the gear shifts feel.

If you like smooth shifting etc then Shimano.

Both are easy to set up.

Edited by Alpina

You may have some issues with the new 7900 shifters and the 7800 old brakes.

Edited by gummibear

You may have some issues with the new shifters and the old brakes.

Why you say that?

The cable does all the work, so its just a matter of running a new set of brake cables.

The new 7900 has a different pull ratio so with 7800 brakes it is very spongy.It's much worse with the lighter after market brakes.

Ridden 9sp DA (for 7 yrs), 7800 DA, SRAM Force 2010 & SRAM X9 on MTB.

Road, i'd def go back to Shimano over SRAM for feel (Left lever & FD - i feel is lighter and a shorter swing) and if your cable tension is off on Shimano you can still "help" the shift, SRAM is double tap again, then tap. SRAM - I somehow managed to break the rachet mech on the right hand lever in 7 months, took over a month to have resolved by the SRAM service centre in PTA. I've also had bum shifts, chain suck on the FD which's scratched the crank arm.

SRAM is lighter and seems better value for money if you compare Force to Ultegra on weight and price.

My personal feeling, i'd go back to Shimano on Road. MTB, i'd stick to SRAM.

The new 7900 has a different pull ratio so with 7800 brakes it is very spongy.It's much worse with the lighter after market brakes.

Interesting. .

Never knew that.

Thanks dude!

If I got Dura Ace STI's they'd be 7800, not 7900. They're not compatible as far as I know