BEGINNER ROAD BIKE

Mav1234

C/lab CAAD 10 with 105 at about 12500-13000. Cannondale does not have full 105 though, only drivetrain, excluding cranks I think). Brakes are Tektro.

Cannondale website link

Awesome deal! The CAAD10 frame has received great reviews..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

I just bought a new CAAD10 to replace my old aluminium bike. IMO it's a better frame / ride than any cheap carbon frame out there, and at 1150g for my size 56 it's no heavyweight either. I'm quite happy with aluminium, especially the CAAD10 ~ great bike.

Falco if you don't mind me asking what did you pay? The CAAD10 comes with Ultegra and Mavic Aksiums right? Bicyclings bike buyers guide has it at R20k which is a little steep but I hear only good things... Think I need to make R15k my ceiling so happy to wait as well...

edit - ok reading on clearly not lmited to ultegra... I need to do some more research and hold out till after xmas me thinks - presumably will be some good deals around then... Unless the Scott at R10k turns out to be true - which will be a deal too good to miss...

Edited by dracs

Falco if you don't mind me asking what did you pay? The CAAD10 comes with Ultegra and Mavic Aksiums right? Bicyclings bike buyers guide has it at R20k which is a little steep but I hear only good things... Think I need to make R15k my ceiling so happy to wait as well...

edit - ok reading on clearly not lmited to ultegra... I need to do some more research and hold out till after xmas me thinks - presumably will be some good deals around then... Unless the Scott at R10k turns out to be true - which will be a deal too good to miss...

New 2012 RRP on the CAAD10-3 (Ultegra) is R23.500. I got a deal on mine for just on 19k. It is decent spec ~ full Ultegra, FSA carbon cranks, prologo saddle etc, but it is let down by the Aksiums, they are crap. I replaced mine immediately with Shimano RS80's, which makes a huge difference to ride quality and weight.

The 105 CAAD uses a mix of parts, mainly 105 but different brakes, saddle and cranks, but same frame. Still a damn fine bike, 2012 RRP is R17.500, but deals are available on the 2011's.

All the older bikes that shops still have in stock will probably be cheaper than the 2012's which have just arrived..

And it's a Cannondale ~ the name alone is worth money imo.

hI THERE.

Any chance you could tell which model the scott is along with which cajees store you saw it at.Thanx 4 all the help

Think its the Addict R3. Saw it at the Centurion shop 1-2 weeks ago

Buying your first road bike! Nice!

You are going to have such fun with this. Seriously, you are in the "honey-moon" time of cycling...

Take your time, enjoy every moment.

The post's above all contain fantastic advice. Don't listen too much to the sales people at Cajees. Go chat with the sales guys at the *Bling* stores like CycleLab etc... When you have made up your mind about what to get, then go back to everybody for quotes.

My advice, start by deciding on the groupset, decided if you want Sram, Shimano or Campy. Then see if you can afford to get the second or third best version... Rather spend your money on a good group set, than buying a pretty frame. If you can get both, then that's a bonus.

Then spend your money on shoes & pedals, (Some bikes will come with good pedals bundled into the price) get a helmut, a saddlebag, a spare tube and tyre tools and get a foot pump with a gauge.

Saddles are tricky purchases, either your bum is comfortable on a saddle - or it isn't. So don't spend extra money on a fancy saddle at this point.

Wheels, at this time, I'd just go with the wheels that come with the bike. Once you have done a few races you can look at getting a set of special wheels for racing.

When you do start deciding on the frame you want, do your homework and get measured and fitted up for that frame. Each frame has it's own geometry. Most of the *Bling* cycling shops can "size" you in 2 minutes and it's free.

Maybe the other Hubbers can comment of what bike brands they think you should consider? In my opinion, you will do well to look brands like Scott, Raleigh, Trek and Giant.

Buying your first road bike! Nice!

You are going to have such fun with this. Seriously, you are in the "honey-moon" time of cycling...

Take your time, enjoy every moment.

The post's above all contain fantastic advice. Don't listen too much to the sales people at Cajees. Go chat with the sales guys at the *Bling* stores like CycleLab etc... When you have made up your mind about what to get, then go back to everybody for quotes.

My advice, start by deciding on the groupset, decided if you want Sram, Shimano or Campy. Then see if you can afford to get the second or third best version... Rather spend your money on a good group set, than buying a pretty frame. If you can get both, then that's a bonus.

Then spend your money on shoes & pedals, (Some bikes will come with good pedals bundled into the price) get a helmut, a saddlebag, a spare tube and tyre tools and get a foot pump with a gauge.

Saddles are tricky purchases, either your bum is comfortable on a saddle - or it isn't. So don't spend extra money on a fancy saddle at this point.

Wheels, at this time, I'd just go with the wheels that come with the bike. Once you have done a few races you can look at getting a set of special wheels for racing.

When you do start deciding on the frame you want, do your homework and get measured and fitted up for that frame. Each frame has it's own geometry. Most of the *Bling* cycling shops can "size" you in 2 minutes and it's free.

Maybe the other Hubbers can comment of what bike brands they think you should consider? In my opinion, you will do well to look brands like Scott, Raleigh, Trek and Giant.

i HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT the silverback rc1 and rc2 or the scott brand.cheers for all the advise.i have a budget 10k.if u were going to buy a bike for the 1st time and u had 10k for bike shoes and peddels .wot would u get