Otter trail run

RABUBI

I would love to do that but my days of boulder hopping at speed are over thnks to bionic hip

Done the hike 3 times and those stairs kill me with a 30kg pack.I can imagine what it must be like to be able to be free of the weight

I have also done the Otter hike, but a 30KG pack, that is the killer. Mine weighed in at 19Kg. Never carry more than 25% of your body weight.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really struggle to understand this concept, even if I could afford it I would never pay R3000 to run 42km! A few years back I paid R250 to run the swellendam trail. 80km trail over two days unsupported. Only cost was the hike permit and the balance went to charity. Only about 20 of did it which added to the experience. I also did the 4/5 day witels kloofing trip with two mates as a one day run - one of my best days out! And free! I'm not sure how anyone justifies this kind of cost.

Sien mens otters op die roete?

Ek het laas jaar die Otter staproete gestap, en ek het laat middag gaan swem in die baai buite die tweede hut. Toe ek weer sien toe swem daar 'n Otter langs my en volg my tot op die strand. Hy het my snaaks gekyk asof ek vir hom kos moet gee, en toe is hy terug in die see in.

First you pay for the otter walking fee(cause there is no hikers on the day)

All in all you pay to have the trail open for 4 days since that's how you normally walk it

Then you pay for the 2 night camping in a tent that they supply anf for food-not sure if its free this year

Then you pay for the company that drives you to the start and back

Not sure what's all the costs involved but you simply can't compare it to kloofing or running a normal trail with mates

I life in george and run trails a lot for trianing but this is racing against the best and the elite

I agree its expensive and it will soon be more expensive with less value for you money but there will always be a huge demand

Same as events like the poineer and the epic you pay lots to race with the best and it will never be cheap

End of the say its simply a business for the owners and no one does it for the love of it

All I can say most of these high profile trail races is wort it but its flippen expensive

I resently did the swartberg treverse- a 4 day event orgenized by drylad(same okes that does the pioneer)

It was an amazing race and worth the money-made some great friend there

I have also done the Otter hike, but a 30KG pack, that is the killer. Mine weighed in at 19Kg. Never carry more than 25% of your body weight.

Unfortunately when I have booked out the whole trail for my family and friends and am captain,there is a lot to carry to make sure the hike is not spartan and cater for 12 pax.Also the youngsters are not overloaded.

BTW its 1/3rd of your body weight :)

Unfortunately when I have booked out the whole trail for my family and friends and am captain,there is a lot to carry to make sure the hike is not spartan and cater for 12 pax.Also the youngsters are not overloaded.

BTW its 1/3rd of your body weight :)

so ummm walking with 30 odd kg's is ok ? :whistling:

so ummm walking with 30 odd kg's is ok ? :whistling:

Yep....I am over 90 :blush: but 90 when ready to rock n roll so perfect

Maybe not the right place to shout out about it, but you guys should try the Mweni marathon / trail run next year (usually round the 15th of May)

http://www.trailrunning.co.za/events_detail.php?id=99&type=past

It's a 42km trail run. Start & stop at Mweni cultural centre. If memory serves me well you climb 1800m & descend the same via 2 of the drakensberg's most beautfull passes.

Did this in 2010 & it's a killer (in all aspects) - Cost were like +-R120 (150?)

• 3 months later...

Anyone doing the Retto this year?

I am doing it!!

Yes it is expensive but it is also a must do once in a lifetime bucket list kind of event. Did the Hobbit last year and it was a very special race.......

How many hubbers in Joburg are doing the Otter "retto" this year???

It would be cool if we can maybe form a training group especially with the cold winter mornings coming up.........!!

We can training in the Emmarentia gardens and surroundings as there are some nice routes around.

Also I am targeting 2 races a month before the Otter namely the City2city 50km marathon and the Malgalies Monster 35km trail run....... Those 2 races should ensure full readiness for the Otter..........

Two of us on East Rand. Maybe some early morning runs at Suikerbos or Thaba trails to get to know my fellow "suffer addicts"?

Did the otter last year, looking forward to the retto this year, sure going to be interesting in reverse :) That last big downhill from the mountain to the beach of last year...into a climb this year...ouch!

Same here.

We are going to suffer big time!

Paid R2650 just to enjoy the beer at the finish

If you can drink beer lying down................