Do you break stuff?

Sequoia

Working on a public holiday! What is the world coming to?Cry Wink Anyway, as the title said - how often do you break things? This question is primarily aimed at the big guys, because logic dictates that we should break more stuff than the lighter guys. I don't break stuff and I'm pretty heavy.

I've been reading a couple of clydesdale postings over at bikeforums.net and it seems to me that there are some bikemonsters out there. They seem to be able to break anything: hubs. cranks, chains and just about everything else. On a road bike.

The only thing that I've ever broken (accident damage excluded) on a bike of mine was a sprocket that broke on a really old peugeot 7-speed commuter years back. For the rest, nothing. Everything keeps going like clockwork. (Frantically tapping the desk right now... Wink) I'd like to think it is due to my superior powers of maintenance and a little mechanical sensitivity.Wink

So, do you break bike parts? Just by virtue of being big and strong? Let's see who's the heaviest on their bikes.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i broke a saddle bolt 50km into a race once...but it was overtightened.it wasnt fun trying to ride standing.only lasted about 3km then hitched a ride.

I've yet to brake something that wasn't due to a manufacturing fault,  but at the same time I only weigh around 72kg.

yeah, breake stuff and it's expensive..

4 frames

1 fork

4 cranks (including the good suntour superbe pro - i'm still sad)

2 handle bars

Only the stupid damn kempekkernoglia rear derraileurs that could not withstand the rigours of tandem riding. In 26000 km only a few chains....... thats all. Since I have Shimano on both tandems things keep on going...... wait!!!!! I just replaced an Octalink BB on the MTB tandem this weekend...... but then Octalink was not Shimano's greates success.

Managed to get this right last week!!!

20071217_083222_PC135192.JPG20071217_083325_PC135196.JPG

same thing happened to me with a selle italia flite slr.  stupid lightweight products! ;-)

Managed to get this right last week!!!

It looks like you have a nice camera with a good macro setting there. Could you perhaps take some close-ups of that broken rail once you've taken it off the seatpost? It'll be interesting to see what went wrong there.

yeah' date=' breake stuff and it's expensive..

4 frames
1 fork
4 cranks (including the good suntour superbe pro - i'm still sad)
2 handle bars
[/quote']

Any photos? It'll be interesting to see where the cranks broke. I've seen hollowtech Shimanos break in the shaft of the crank where you wouldn't expect it. I've also seen the cranks break at the pedal attachment eye, helped by the dynamic joint of the pedal/crank interface.

Handlebars? Aluminium?

Fork? At the steerer? Steel steerer?

My cousin managed to do this to his brand new Ultegra cranks today!  Power clearly runs in the family...

Anyone know how the hell this could happen? Cranks or BB?  Which one died?  Seems very strange to me that it could go wrong so badly.

Should have seen how funny it looked when he tried to pedalLOL.  Looked like he was trying to hop like a rabbit on his bike!

20071217_114524_sDSC00093.JPG

I have LOADS of cousins (some even stringer than ol' crank killer).  Have a look at the Langebaan race thread!  Pics of the whole litter!

In the last 13 years of riding I have done the following:

Bike

> 3 Derailleur's

> 1 Seatpost

> 2 Saddles

> 1 Frames

> 1 Carbon Handle Bar

> Few rims and a bout 15 spokes

Me

> Tendon damage to right knee

> 145 Stithces

> 1 Collarbone