wheelset upgrades

Slowbee

The mrs currently rides with shimano WH R500 wheelset on an RC3000 (bought second hand here)

What I would like to know is what would be an upgrade ?

I have looked at the shimano RS 10, RS 20, RS 30.

Just looked at Mavic Aksium for about R1899 (from CWC)

A campy wheelset would require a new freebody (?)

I am willing to spend about R1500 - R2000 (tops and at a push for a good deal), also second hand is an option.

How do the RS series of wheels compare to the WHR500?

Other suggestions ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are better AFAIK - Shimano 105 quality vs tiagra quality. If the wife is heavy, stay off Aksium's. I have heard that they aren't well built for weightier people - I was going to buy a set - I weigh a solid 96Kg's. Was advised not to buy fellow riders.

That is all I can say...... maybe check google out - do a search of shimano rs10 vs mavic aksium ?

I have a set of WHR600? (or 601. can't remember). They go well and I got them for R800 - almost spotless.

You mentioned campy? is that the groupset she has on the bike? Look at cwc - they have some decently priced wheel sets that are campy.

Edited by Tiny K

If she's riding Campy, try and find a set of Fulcrum Racing 7's for that money. I use them for training and they are bullet proof. Those hubs are pure Campagnolo quality and spin forever. Generally priced under 2k. Looks like CWC are currently out of stock.

In best JB voice: " What's wrong with the current wheelset? On an RC3000, why put on wheels that cost more than the bike? Put the money in your bond or your new business venture, and go ride your bike."

The mrs currently rides with shimano WH R500 wheelset on an RC3000 (bought second hand here)

What I would like to know is what would be an upgrade ?

I have looked at the shimano RS 10, RS 20, RS 30.

Just looked at Mavic Aksium for about R1899 (from CWC)

A campy wheelset would require a new freebody (?)

I am willing to spend about R1500 - R2000 (tops and at a push for a good deal), also second hand is an option.

How do the RS series of wheels compare to the WHR500?

Other suggestions ?

Planet X have a decent set at only R 1 510

http://www.rapide.co.za/pPLANET%20X%20MODEL%20B%20ALLOY%20WHEELSET/Planet-X-Model-B-Alloy-Wheelset.aspx

In best JB voice: " What's wrong with the current wheelset? On an RC3000, why put on wheels that cost more than the bike? Put the money in your bond or your new business venture, and go ride your bike."

The voice of reason has no place on The Hub.

its part of the plan of upgrading her bike over time.

first the wheels, then the components and then the frame. all over time - but according to those in the know, the wheelset can make the biggest difference, so I want to start there.

but according to those in the know, the wheelset can make the biggest difference, so I want to start there.

I would have to agree - I took this same advice, and in a moment of lavish madness switched out my WH-500s to a lovely pair of Easton EA 90s. Damned expensive, but damned are they sweet - bike felt instantly lighter and quicker to get spinning.

Mine also is part of a larger plan - invest in a really good wheelset now for my current frame (Merida 903 race lite) and move them to new bike when I replace with or build something better.

Combined effect of new wheelset, switching to a compact crank, and training harder, blew chunks out of my PB for Die Burger even adjusting for shorter distance.

Good wheels will benefit your wife and last onto any newer machine - so I'd say got for it based on my experience.

If she's riding Campy, try and find a set of Fulcrum Racing 7's for that money. I use them for training and they are bullet proof. Those hubs are pure Campagnolo quality and spin forever. Generally priced under 2k. Looks like CWC are currently out of stock.

+1000

Try Queens Cycles. Bought mine about a year ago for abour R1800

Upgrade is a relative term. I would only consider a bigish jump (to something like the RS80, Fulcrum 3 or better) as a worthwhile upgrade. Aksium, 105 etc are a side step (may be newer but not necessarily better). I would service the hubs, tension the spokes and let her ride until the braking surfaces are worn out.

its fine to say decent, but is it better ?

Yes, definitely but only within your R 1500 to R 2000 price range.

If you want a LOT better, you will have to spend a lot more.

Underachiever, she is on Shimano

Thinking about it, you can buy with tha Shimano body.

BTW, The Racing 7 wheelset quite heavy at ± 2000 g, so it might not be much of an upgrade from a weight perspective. Check out the websites to compare.