wheelset upgrades

Slowbee

Frame comes 1st, it should, if it is an upgrade, (possibly be carbon) and so should be lighter and have a better power transfer.

And power is everything :devil:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a beginner cyclist notice the difference between the two wheels (SRAM and Campy), if they are upgrading from the WH-R500's? My gut says not, but am open to advice.

I doubt, but it's always nice to get something new.

Another option is to sell your wife's bike. RC3000s go for R3 000 to R4 500 depending on the year model. Worst case scenario is to sell it for R3 000 and then pay in the R3 000 plus a little extra you were prepared to spend on the wheels on this bike:

http://www.thehubsa....m-rivalbargain/

This way, for a similar amount of money you would have spent, you will get a better frame, a much better groupset and the upgraded wheels you wanted in the first place.

If the frame is not right, there are plenty of similar frames going for a song on the Hub or, just swop the parts around and sell the RC6000 with your wife's parts.

looks like a good deal - but hesitant, SRAM rival unused on a bike ?? That means frame built up - but an urgent sale... no offence to the seller, but I am still hesitant.

Stop mucking about and buy a set of Lightweight's :clap: :clap: :clap:

shiver me timbers .... even the pictures look expensive !

mmmm I might have to get a power cable in the dog box .....

ride with style an rc3000 with lightweights clap.gif

Frame comes 1st, it should, if it is an upgrade, (possibly be carbon) and so should be lighter and have a better power transfer.

And power is everything :devil:

or

Another option is to sell your wife's bike. RC3000s go for R3 000 to R4 500 depending on the year model. Worst case scenario is to sell it for R3 000 and then pay in the R3 000 plus a little extra you were prepared to spend on the wheels on this bike:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/17008-raleigh-rc-6000-carbon-sram-rivalbargain/

This way, for a similar amount of money you would have spent, you will get a better frame, a much better groupset and the upgraded wheels you wanted in the first place.

If the frame is not right, there are plenty of similar frames going for a song on the Hub or, just swop the parts around and sell the RC6000 with your wife's parts.

Like I said already, spending more on a wheelset than what the entire bike is worth seems like throwing money into the crapper to me.

or

Like I said already, spending more on a wheelset than what the entire bike is worth seems like throwing money into the crapper to me.

ja ja ... I get the message !

A wheel upgrade is always a good idea ... but your price range does limit you a bit.

Most R2k wheels are not going to be any better than the wheels currently being used.

Be patient, and perhaps you'll get lucky.

American Classics offer good value for money if you can find a good deal.

Look for some CR420's.

American Classics offer good value for money if you can find a good deal.

The LBS I got the Eastons also had American Classics. They seemed pretty nice - I think they were around R5k new though.

Would agree expensive wheels on low end frame don't make sense long term, but if it's part of a phased upgrade then why not. I'm still mulling frames, but can't settle on one that feels significantly better at an upgrade price that makes sense. The wheels made for an instantly better feel to current bike, an they'll move across to the new frame when I find it.

ja ja ... I get the message !

And remember, what you waste on the wheels now, you wont recoup when you sell the bike.

on topic but still a bit of a mini hijack... What do you guys think of these Fulcrum Racing 1's

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/fulcrum-racing-1-wheelset-silver

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/product_images/Racing_1_Silver.jpg

Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheelset (Silver) Campagnolo R4 999.00 was R 9500

Just confirmed my order at cwc - and big thanks to Louis who kindly sorted a swop to shimano body for me... :clap: Did I get as good a deal as I think I did?

My thinking was the same as slowbee's... I've almost bought about 3 different bikes in the last week - so the wheels are scratching that itch for now even if my 4 yr old alu giant isn't quite worthy... a new frame etc will definately follow in the next 6- 12 months as well...

what are the views of rolff vector wheels?

The ones I had were bullet proof. That was quite a few years ago though, not sure what the new ones are like.

on topic but still a bit of a mini hijack... What do you guys think of these Fulcrum Racing 1's

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/fulcrum-racing-1-wheelset-silver

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/product_images/Racing_1_Silver.jpg

Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheelset (Silver) Campagnolo R4 999.00 was R 9500

Just confirmed my order at cwc - and big thanks to Louis who kindly sorted a swop to shimano body for me... :clap: Did I get as good a deal as I think I did?

My thinking was the same as slowbee's... I've almost bought about 3 different bikes in the last week - so the wheels are scratching that itch for now even if my 4 yr old alu giant isn't quite worthy... a new frame etc will definately follow in the next 6- 12 months as well...

At that price you cant go wrong. I paid that for my Racing 3's, which were a fantastic wheelset.