Green Corridor between Meerendal & Contermans

flymango

Am I correct in understanding that this corridor has been closed? I'm was planning to do Meerendal - Conter - Hillcrest - Kliprug - Conter - Meerendal this wekend, but somebody told me the green corridor has been closed. Correct? If so, why? Thanks.

I don't know the whole story, just some rumors. But the stories I've heard range from the farmer wants to use the land, to the club hasn't paid the farmer per some or other agreement in a long time and he's now closed off access.

according to news flash received last week and agm the reasons for the closure depends on which rumour you wish to believe.the bottom line however is that the corridor is closed for all riders including those of tygerberg mtb club.any word on reopening at this time is speculation.sad.gif

Has got nothing to do with the farmer not getting paid - the original agreement for access was for a certain period of time and the farmer decided not to renew. Discussions will hopefully resume in the new year and hopefully something can be sorted out or an alternative route can be found, but it won't be easy.

In the meantime, please do not ride the corridor as it will kill any future chances of reopening the corridor.

Rumours are ugly things and there are many doing the rounds....what have I heard.

FACTS

The club gave R106525.00 to be devided amongst all the land owners involved to have the right to ride their land.

(this money does not go far in the conservation of the Renosterveld that we have the honour to ride through)

The Executive committee employed someone to manage the trail @ R25000.00 per month,lets call him Bob(did I mention that Bob is also on the Executive comittee??)

The club had a Revenue of R823334.00 but only had R4733.00 of that at the end of the year.

RUMOURS

The person earning the R25000.00 was also the treasurer so did the salary payment and forgot to deduct PAYE so now between said person and the club they owe SARS R75000.00

When other committee members checked the books Bob became very defensive and starts having secret meetings with the land owners and now the green corridor is closed.

No doubt the corridor will soon open again as Bob has apparently come to a arrangement with the farmers and will be doing the maintanence of the trail with a private company run by himself.

So that is what I know and have heard,anyone smell a rat??

I firmly believe that the best thing to come out of all this poop is that the land owners will now manage their own trail and will get more money from the club to better conserve the Renosterveld.They should get at least 50% of the clubs income for the luxury of us using their land.

My big problem is that as far as I can see while in the employement of the club Bob was mearly lining his own pocket and not acting in the best interests of the club.

Oh dear! And I was only asking an innocent question. I wasn't aware of any noise. Hope the matter can resolve itself and that the club can again enjoy the land access it deserves.

Very sorry to hear this. I have great regard for the Tygerberg Mtb Club and for what they achieved in terms of building super trails in the Durbanville Hills. Hope they get this sorted very quickly. The Club and the trails are way too valuable to allow this to sink it. Hope the right and reasonable people will put in the effort thats needed.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, visible bike boards

members only

Good news! And it's the same route as previously?

Would love to do Meerendal - Contermans at the weekend.