Old Peugeot Tandem Project

DJR

I bought this old Peugeot tandem recently specifically to ride next years Argus with my 11 year old son. The idea was to do somewhat of a project with him, strip and respray to make it unique (letting him decide on colour and design, likely to be orange with black skulls everywhere :D ) and after riding the Argus together, sell it again. It is in perfect working condition and except for the stem, rear derailleur and casette, in original condition. It is a steel frame, heavy, solid and it rides beautifully.

Since we started riding it, however, numerous people have commented on what a great old classic it is. Now I wonder if it is perhaps better to keep the original paint job and ride it as is or search for and replace the original components. Or is it just another old machine that we can change and modify to our hearts content without worrying about destroying it?

I also would love to know where it was made (France, Taiwan, SA?), more or less when (1980s?) and any other relevant history.

What to do? That is the question! Retro (and tandem) gurus, please comment!

(Also posted on Retro Bike thread, but that seems very quiet today.)

post-17716-0-51137100-1323603452.jpg

post-17716-0-34441300-1323603496.jpg

If your intention is to flog it, don't waste the money. Keep it real and original and get your son some kit with skulls on instead, as it could also teach him that some old things are best left original as they were... Enjoy the time with him. My 15 year old son is only now showing interest in riding MTB with me and I love the time we spend together.... My5cw.

Keep it original. That paint job looks in very good nick. Rather if you want to spend money on components.

Keep it original. That paint job looks in very good nick. Rather if you want to spend money on components.

I bought this old Peugeot tandem recently specifically to ride next years Argus with my 11 year old son. The idea was to do somewhat of a project with him, strip and respray to make it unique (letting him decide on colour and design, likely to be orange with black skulls everywhere :D ) and after riding the Argus together, sell it again. It is in perfect working condition and except for the stem, rear derailleur and casette, in original condition. It is a steel frame, heavy, solid and it rides beautifully.

Since we started riding it, however, numerous people have commented on what a great old classic it is. Now I wonder if it is perhaps better to keep the original paint job and ride it as is or search for and replace the original components. Or is it just another old machine that we can change and modify to our hearts content without worrying about destroying it?

I also would love to know where it was made (France, Taiwan, SA?), more or less when (1980s?) and any other relevant history.

What to do? That is the question! Retro (and tandem) gurus, please comment!

(Also posted on Retro Bike thread, but that seems very quiet today.)

Keep it as is and then sell it to me for the 2013 Argus :thumbup:

Keep it original.

I'll see you in the social tandem group, with my daughter (14.We'll be the ones on the old mixte frame Peugeot tandem. Start getting fit..... :D

• 3 months later...

Hi DJR

Did you manage to ride the Argus with your son ?.....and if so, how'd it go ?....

next question : are you still intent on keeping the tandem ? ....if the answer's NO, then I'd love to be able to come and see it with a view to purchasing it from you for my wife and I to enjoy some social riding together and hope to become compatible enough to enter next year's event.

I rode with Peugeot equipment in Europe during the 80's so have a bit of a soft spot for the old badge and would love the opportunity to restore this one for old time's sake...

Let me know

thanks

Lee

lee.daniels@allangray.co.za / 072 0193670

Hi Lee

It is on the market and I've sent you an e-mail with my contact details.

Hmm, I wonder if I can email your kid's back wheel and tyres too. Am not getting 2 mins to myself! :unsure:

It's in the boot..

<backtotopic>

Hi Lee

It is on the market and I've sent you an e-mail with my contact details.

Can't go to a better person.

Perhaps I should give some feedback here as well (I already posted this in the Argus updates)

The Team 3GR race report:

Three generations of us finished together in 5h53. (11 yr old, 13 yr old, 49 yr old and 73 yr old.) Rode together from start to finish without any issues except 1 puncture. Knew it was going to be hot, so packed lots of H2O as well as sandwitches for lunch. 11 yr old already talking about next year, 13 yr old full of himself and 73 year old think he'll keep riding until he can do it with his great grand children. 49 yr old wondering for how long he can keep up with 13 year old. (I'm getting the little blighter a heavier bike for next year!)

Super ride! :clap: