MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Would you perhaps recommend something else? Got feedback on the tyre. Excellent tyre, but it does not seal very nice... Especially on the Syncros rims. That is quite a bummer. Maybe a Specialized tyre?

Have you tried fitting the tyre or are you relying on Internet feedback?

Did you get the T/R EXO cased version or something else?

I would say stick with a crossmark LUST at the rear and go with a wider ikon on the front, unless you looking for something a little more aggressive then you could look at the Ardent in front but the 2.25 LUST version. The 2.25 LUST feels like it has a slightly harder compound so should last a little longer...

Edited by Mr lee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried fitting the tyre or are you relying on Internet feedback?

Did you get the T/R EXO cased version or something else?

I would say stick with a crossmark LUST at the rear and go with a wider ikon on the front, unless you looking for something a little more aggressive then you could look at the Ardent in front but the 2.25 LUST version. The 2.25 LUST feels like it has a slightly harder compound so should last a little longer...

Did not purchase the tyre yet, still doing my homework. Ask a fellow MTB rider who had those exact on his Scale 910.

I am looking at the TR/3C/EXO 29x2.2

My rear tyre is starting to wear out, so want to replace it. But I want to get a wider tyre, so I want to replace the front tyre too to fit with the wider rear.

Also, I won't mind putting two different tyres on the bike. A more grippy tire front and a more durable on the rear.

For example (like you stated) a Maxxis Ardent front and a Maxxis Crossmark LUST rear.

Sent from Pure Android

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Did not purchase the tyre yet, still doing my homework. Ask a fellow MTB rider who had those exact on his Scale 910.

I am looking at the TR/3C/EXO 29x2.2

My rear tyre is starting to wear out, so want to replace it. But I want to get a wider tyre, so I want to replace the front tyre too to fit with the wider rear.

Also, I won't mind putting two different tyres on the bike. A more grippy tire front and a more durable on the rear.

For example (like you stated) a Maxxis Ardent front and a Maxxis Crossmark LUST rear.

Sent from Pure Android

Just on feel the LUST tire side walls are thicker but I am sure there are loads of people running the EXO without any problems.

Majority like to ride with a narrower rear and wider front. Both the same would be fine but I would not go wide rear and narrow front!

Both LUST and EXO casings mount and seal fine even using a floor/foot pump so no need for a compressor or bomb.

The LUST casings are generally heavier compared to their equivalent EXO brothers and sisters but you cannot have durability without giving up on something else.

That said, the new Aggressor is only available in EXO and weighs 900g's which is the same if not more than some LUST treads. this seems more to do with the tread design and the fact that they use more meaty nobblies...

Check the Maxxis site for all specs etc.

Edited by Mr lee

Just on feel the LUST tire side walls are thicker but I am sure there are loads of people running the EXO without any problems.

Majority like to ride with a narrower rear and wider front. Both the same would be fine but I would not go wide rear and narrow front!

Both LUST and EXO casings mount and seal fine even using a floor/foot pump so no need for a compressor or bomb.

The LUST casings are generally heavier compared to their equivalent EXO brothers and sisters but you cannot have durability without giving up on something else.

That said, the new Aggressor is only available in EXO and weighs 900g's which is the same if not more than some LUST treads. this seems more to do with the tread design and the fact that they use more meaty nobblies...

Check the Maxxis site for all specs etc.

Well, in that case, I will give the Ikon tyre a go. Going to my local bike shop today, so I will also ask for feedback on the tyre.

Okay cool. Haha. I was on Maxxis website to check the weight of the Ikon TR/3C/EXO 2.2 and must say it is quite a significant difference in weight between them and my current tyres. Opt to go for the 2.2, as the 2.35 is a little heavy. But like you stated with the LUST, you cannot have durability without giving up on something. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the advice man. :)

Appreciate it. 

I got the new Spark 940 a week ago. Now stuck on tyres....

I used to ride a HT Scott, with a 2.1 Crossmark on the back, and a 2.35 Panaracer Fire 29er Pro up front. Worked great for me. Been riding a HT for years.

Now over to the Dualie. My buddy is running E Thirteens front and rear on his Rocky, and he swears that these are the only way to go! They look a bit DH orientated to me. But, makes sense if you wanna klap the trails hard. By trails I mean Tygerberg MTB network.

Now on the 940, I went for a 2.35 Maxxis Forekaster on the back (actually the standard tire on the bike) and an Ardent 2.4 on the front, as I told the shop I wanted something grippier for the summer. They swopped the Forekaster on the front out for the Ardent.

Any comments about the Ardent? Do I stick to it?

I dont do too much long distance, and I really enjoy pushing the downhill sections as hard as I can.

I used to ride a HT Scott, with a 2.1 Crossmark on the back, and a 2.35 Panaracer Fire 29er Pro up front. Worked great for me. Been riding a HT for years.

Now over to the Dualie. My buddy is running E Thirteens front and rear on his Rocky, and he swears that these are the only way to go! They look a bit DH orientated to me. But, makes sense if you wanna klap the trails hard. By trails I mean Tygerberg MTB network.

Now on the 940, I went for a 2.35 Maxxis Forekaster on the back (actually the standard tire on the bike) and an Ardent 2.4 on the front, as I told the shop I wanted something grippier for the summer. They swopped the Forekaster on the front out for the Ardent.

I dont do too much long distance, and I really enjoy pushing the downhill sections as hard as I can.

Ardent is an OK tyre, IMO. Some love them, some hate them. Forekaster is a great tyre for the back. 

If you enjoy pushing the DH sections, then you could do with a burlier tyre than that though. 

Tyres to consider:

e13 TRS plus / TRS race

Schwalbe Magic Mary Trailstar / vertstar

Maxxis Minion / High Roller 2

WTB Vigilante & some other (forget which)

Onza Ibex / Citius. 

Spaz Butcher / Purgatory

There are others that I can't remember at the moment (fuzzy brain thanks to cold / flu thing)

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Spez tyres are well priced and are made my Maxxis. For a grippy xc setup I would go Spez Ground Control 2.3 front and Maxxis Ikon 2.2 or Spez Fask Track 2.2 rear.

If you want to keep it in the Maxxis family, I would say the new Aggressor is a good option for the front, if you don't go balls to the wall on the downhills.

Alternatively, I would highly reccomend a High Roller II for the front. It has ramped central knobs, so rolls okay, but offers bags of grip when going down; it's braking perfromance is also legendary. With an Ardent/Forekaster out back, you'll still be rolling quick and have grip for days.

Hey guys, planning to replace my rear (and front if my monies allow it) which is getting worn out. Currently have Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 on both my front and rear.

I am looking for a tyre that will not easily wear out on the road, as I use my bike for daily transportation between friends (or sometimes to school), but I also do tracks over the weekend. The track I most frequently go ride is Meerendal. I want to upgrade to a thicker tyre, but all depends on the cost and weight.

I really love the weight of my bike now, so the next tyre should be in the same weight area or less. I am by no mean an XC racer, I only do MTB'ing mainly to stay fit and enjoy the views.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

Try a Spaz Ground Control. Wear well on tar and have decent side knobs. 

If you want to keep it in the Maxxis family, I would say the new Aggressor is a good option for the front, if you don't go balls to the wall on the downhills.

Alternatively, I would highly reccomend a High Roller II for the front. It has ramped central knobs, so rolls okay, but offers bags of grip when going down; it's braking perfromance is also legendary. With an Ardent/Forekaster out back, you'll still be rolling quick and have grip for days.

Yeah, Aggressor is a good option, though not as grippy as the minion or high roller. More of a super grippy XC tyre. 

GC is also a good option as a super grippy XC style tyre. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Yeah, Aggressor is a good option, though not as grippy as the minion or high roller. More of a super grippy XC tyre. 

GC is also a good option as a super grippy XC style tyre. 

Yip. The Ground Control was my go-to tyre for a fairly long time. It's actually a very versaitle trail tyre. It's only let down is its paper thin sidewalls in the Control casing.

Weevil, if you can get it in the GRID casing, it's a good option.

Did you ever run the bike with Forekasters front and rear? If so how does it compare to your new setup?

Edited by Mr lee

Try a Spaz Ground Control. Wear well on tar and have decent side knobs. 

Sweet. Yeah, my friend is running it on his Specialized Rockhopper for a year now and the wear is holding very good on the tar.

Will give the Specialized Concept Store near Tyger Valley a call. Hopefully, they stock the 29x2.3 version.

Did you ever run the bike with Forekasters front and rear? If so how does it compare to your new setup?

Only the first day of the demo ride.. I cant really comment on it's actual handling. It seemed wrong to me, that's why I wanted something else. It didn't seem right for the soil here. Could be wrong..

The Ardent looks like a good high rolling wheel for the back. Then a High Roller II up front. The rear being a 2.4 not an issue? Im used to the thinner crossmark on my HT.