MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Ok, so I have Maxxis Minion DH 2.3s on my freeride bike. However I mostly use this bike for all mountain/trail riding as well as dirt jumping. (I'm based in JHB, so it's muddy right now)

Although the minions grip like crazy in the sketchy stuff, they have a high rolling resistance.

Continental Mountain King 2.4s were given as a suggestion.

Firstly... are these a good option for the intended use?

Secondly, buycycle is selling Mountain King 2.4s for R175 each. These are the wire beaded not folding, but I don't run tubeless anyway. So is there any advantage to the folding?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I have Maxxis Minion DH 2.3s on my freeride bike. However I mostly use this bike for all mountain/trail riding as well as dirt jumping. (I'm based in JHB, so it's muddy right now)

Although the minions grip like crazy in the sketchy stuff, they have a high rolling resistance.

Continental Mountain King 2.4s were given as a suggestion.

Firstly... are these a good option for the intended use?

Secondly, buycycle is selling Mountain King 2.4s for R175 each. These are the wire beaded not folding, but I don't run tubeless anyway. So is there any advantage to the folding?

Hi Patches

I like my Mountain king front and race king back. Mountain king = good rolling resistance, great grip. If you are not running tubless get the wire beaded the only other advantage to folding is weight and I know you dont care about that. Be cearfull of running a 2.4 tire some frames just not desicend to take a tire that big and you realy hurt your frame.

Thanks for the input Foxy. Sounds like the Mountain Kings for R175ea are a good deal then. As for the frame... shouldn't be a problem. The bike was running 2.5s originally. The 2.35s look skinny next to the 38mm fork stanchions. Kinda like running an XC bike with slicks, hahaha!

Speaking of the Conti's, which is best between the UST's and the Supersonics? CRC is out of stock on the UST's and i'm in a bit of a hurry.

• 8 months later...

so i recently bought maxxis crossmark for my rear tyre and ordered maxxis monorail for my front tyre, prob is can't get the monorail in at the moment its taking forever. Any other suggestions for a good gripy front tyre that would suit the crossmark?

so i recently bought maxxis crossmark for my rear tyre and ordered maxxis monorail for my front tyre, prob is can't get the monorail in at the moment its taking forever. Any other suggestions for a good gripy front tyre that would suit the crossmark?

Put a Crossmark on the front as well - untill the Monorail became popular many people use to run them on the front as well and then when your Monorail arrives replace the Crossmark and keep it for when your rear needs replacing.

Im a tiny bit worried about putting a Crossmark on the front as i ride in pretty all round terrain, and have had the front tyre slide out often when using my old small block 8 Kenda, all this hype about Crossmark being terrible on the front wheel has made me nervous. will have a look at the Larsen TT any other maxxis?

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 on the front. SO much grip it's scary!

Nothing in stock. :(

Any thoughts on mixing a crossmark with a race king or speed king?

Im a tiny bit worried about putting a Crossmark on the front as i ride in pretty all round terrain, and have had the front tyre slide out often when using my old small block 8 Kenda, all this hype about Crossmark being terrible on the front wheel has made me nervous. will have a look at the Larsen TT any other maxxis?

I use Crossmark front and rear...no problems....went through mud and everything.....