MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I'm looking at purchasing Maxxis Ikon "tubeless Ready" do any hubbers have experience with them. Cuurently running Rocket Rons with tubes. One tyre needs to be replaced so was looking to convert one wheel to tubeless and eventually both wheels after the other tyre bites the dust. should the Maxxis go front or rear if partnered with Rocket Ron.

With that combo, Ron front, Ikon rear.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the ikon on the rear as the Ron is more agressive and better suited to the front.

Can also look at the crossmark LUST for the rear too....would probably be more durable than a "tubeless ready tyre".

Edited by Mr lee

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked these up today. Maxis Ardent Race 29x2.35. It's going to replace the 2.2 Ikon I am running up front. Needed a more aggressive tyre up front for the loose over hard and small marble terrain on the trails I ride. So new combo will be ardent race 2.35 front and ikon 2.2 rear.post-35732-0-50588400-1476548973_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Roneblack46

Had a few rides now on the Magic Mary and Rock Razor combo and i must say, they awsome. The RR is described as a semi slick but when you corner those big side knobs really dig in.

Its the only tires i have had so far that i can even hear them really digging into the ground, sounds weird but you can hear and feel them digging in for grip, its awsome.

Hey, what would you guys advise me on a rear tyre for my dual sus trail bike? (I have a Hans Dampf up front). I live near Table Mt, so always have to deal with steep, steep uphills & long sections of gravelly uneven ground. But I also love the out of town trails, getting low carving the berms & some jumping etc, so I guess I'm looking for a fair good all rounder with lowish rolling resistance, puncture resistance, good sidewalls, decent grip,

but MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL..... Decent life & value for money!!!! :thumbup:   

Some of my thoughts so far...

- Maxxis Ardent (Price bit high tho)

- Onza Canis 

- WTB Trail Boss

- Saguaro

- Hutchinson & Michelin (can't remember exact models) 

My desired width is 2.25 - 2.35. Not really concerned about weight. 

Presently trying out a new Racing Ralph, 2.25. Pretty stoked with it! :w00t:  

I have an Ibex 2.25 and a canis 2.25 on the rear (giant trance) been riding southern suburbs local trails, fedhealth, rectron, a weekly 50/60km road ride and had no issues with it on the rear after 1000km or so. Running it tubeless and road riding has obv cut the life span a bit but still running strong with good grip round corners and technical uphills. 

Just picked these up today. Maxis Ardent Race 29x2.35. It's going to replace the 2.2 Ikon I am running up front. Needed a more aggressive tyre up front for the loose over hard and small marble terrain on the trails I ride. So new combo will be ardent race 2.35 front and ikon 2.2 rear.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Please tell me: where did you find these? And how much were they?

• 2 weeks later...

"Tubeless ready" means you need to put rim tape and need to put up with 'seeping' through the tyre walls, correct?

I this worth it given the cost saving for someone who has to save?

"Tubeless ready" means you need to put rim tape and need to put up with 'seeping' through the tyre walls, correct?

I don't think any tyre would seep through the walls...

From the Maxxis site

TUBELESS READY

Tubeless tires provide the rider with many benefits: the ability to run lower air pressures, which improves traction; lower rolling resistance when compared to a tube-type tire; and less chance of flatting since there is no tube. Maxxis Tubeless Ready (TR) tires provide the benefits of a UST tubeless tire without the weight penalty. Our TR tires use a standard casing and require the use of a liquid sealant in order to make them airtight. Maxxis Tubeless Ready tires are the only Maxxis tires approved for use with liquid sealants. Using a liquid sealant in any non-TR Maxxis tire will void the warranty.

L.U.S.T.

Maxxis mountain tubeless tires, certified to UST® standards, featuring Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology (L.U.S.T.). This technology offers better puncture resistance, improved air retention, better longevity and lower weight than previous tubeless technologies. By adding a thin fabric layer to the sidewall, covered in a special airtight rubber compound, Maxxis created a casing that is lighter, tougher and holds air better.

EXO PROTECTION

An extremely cut-resistant and abrasion-resistant material added to the sidewalls of select mountain tires. This densely woven fabric is also lightweight and highly flexible, ensuring that the performance of the tire remains unaffected. Choose EXO Protection for exceptionally rocky, treacherous trails where the chance of sidewall cuts and abrasions is high.

Edited by Mr lee

Please tell me: where did you find these? And how much were they?

Only saw this post now. Purchased at Solomons Woodmead R599. They specially arranged for me and I purchased 2 of the 4 they got in. I think the other 2 have been sold. Maybe call them and speak to Irfaan. He did a brilliant job to arrange these for me.

Ran my Ikons, tubeless ready and sealant over any terrain you can think of for more than a year and no seepage through any sidewalls. These Ardent Races will do the same.

Hey guys, planning to replace my rear (and front if my monies allow it) which is getting worn out. Currently have Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 on both my front and rear.

I am looking for a tyre that will not easily wear out on the road, as I use my bike for daily transportation between friends (or sometimes to school), but I also do tracks over the weekend. The track I most frequently go ride is Meerendal. I want to upgrade to a thicker tyre, but all depends on the cost and weight.

I really love the weight of my bike now, so the next tyre should be in the same weight area or less. I am by no mean an XC racer, I only do MTB'ing mainly to stay fit and enjoy the views.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Hey guys, planning to replace my rear (and front if my monies allow it) which is getting worn out. Currently have Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 on both my front and rear.

I am looking for a tyre that will not easily wear out on the road, as I use my bike for daily transportation between friends (or sometimes to school), but I also do tracks over the weekend. The track I most frequently go ride is Meerendal. I want to upgrade to a thicker tyre, but all depends on the cost and weight.

I really love the weight of my bike now, so the next tyre should be in the same weight area or less. I am by no mean an XC racer, I only do MTB'ing mainly to stay fit and enjoy the views.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 3C EXO

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 3C EXO

Would you perhaps recommend something else? Got feedback on the tyre. Excellent tyre, but it does not seal very nice... Especially on the Syncros rims. That is quite a bummer. Maybe a Specialized tyre?