And this is why I love the western cape

headhunter2000

Jonkershoek.

Wannabe, what is everyone on about the wind blowing in the western cape. Wind never blows in Stellenbosch. Ok, maybe 3-4 times a year.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and a mine dump in drag.

Ha ha ha I like that one! Joburg has quite a few table mountains and you never here them going on about it all the time :D

"Backsberg" Mountain.

Bains Kloof Pass (Wellington in valley)

Canola Fields outside Philidelphia

On the road from Rooiels to Gordonsbay.

Table Mountain in the distance, from Meerendal "koppie"

Edited by Wannabe

Have you seen how the Pope gets off a plane, kneels down and kiss the earth? Well, others do it when they get to cape Town, and rightly so! ;)

Probably looking for their dropped tik? Or trying to lie flat to get out the howling wind?

So not even a tinge of bias in this post then?!

When last were you in Durban? Although I'm almost certain you'll respond and tell me you were here a week ago in which case I'm going to request you take your CT tainted glasses off and actually look around. Durban is looking far better than I ever recall it. It seems you CT wanna be republic, DA brain washed folk seem to think you are the only place in SA worth a visit or improving. A mate who has been living in the UK for eight years has come back to Durban with his family and has been commenting on how much improvement he has noted, not just in infrastructure but people's attitudes.

Proper mountain biking? What do you refer to Karkloof, the Midlands and the like as? As far as I understand it Pietermaritzburg is often referred to as the MTB capital of SA.

Nope, no bias at all.... oh yeah, and you also have stunningly warm water in your ocean.

hang on I just yawned so hard my jaw dislocated.....................

........ok, there. I grew up in Durban actually. I was up there 3 weeks ago. It's become a shocker of a place. Town is like Hillbrow. Run down, filthy. Not even the water park lived up to its promise. The ocean stank too. Must have something to do with the countless pipes funnelling effluent into it.

Did I say I wanted CT to a republic? Don't put words into my mouth. Rather look at what you said as a reflection of what you'd perhaps want, and I'd wager you'd be first in line to move down too if that be the case.

Always "a mate in the UK"....bla bla barf nobody cares. Who is your friend and what makes his opinion so worthy?

Now, Clint, READ my post again, this time with your little terrier dog blinkers off. I only said CT is perfect from March onwards. You chose to make this an "us>them" situ.

Also, I know for a fact that CT has better riding than the rest of the country. You can't just mention one or two places you have and expect to compete. Unless of course you have ridden here?

Lastly, Clint, it's OUR ocean. It belongs to us all. Come have a swim some time. It's not as cold as you think, and the girls tanning are awesome.

Edited by rob_mtb

Wannabe, what is everyone on about the wind blowing in the western cape. Wind never blows in Stellenbosch. Ok, maybe 3-4 times a year.

Agree. Wind is howling everywhere else, nary a breeze in Stellies.

Jeez guys don't rub it in ... although swimming there is torture. And that Wind!

Also one thing I don't get is the dog thing. People there love their dogs bit too much for my limited understanding.

hang on I just yawned so hard my jaw dislocated.....................

Yip, as pointed out by someone else elsewhere you do seem to have a fair bit of frustration you need to get rid of but let me humour you anyway.

........ok, there. I grew up in Durban actually. I was up there 3 weeks ago. It's become a shocker of a place. Town is like Hillbrow. Run down, filthy. Not even the water park lived up to its promise. The ocean stank too. Must have something to do with the countless pipes funnelling effluent into it.

Ah, yes, I know exactly the type then. You are very similar to those who make the choice to emigrate. They spend the rest of their days telling whomever will listen how awful SA is and how they made the best choice ever to move. Are they right? Nope, never, they are merely trying to convince themselves that they made the right choice. If they were to come back they would find everything wrong with this country. Why? Because it is what they want to find.

Did I say I wanted CT to a republic? Don't put words into my mouth. Rather look at what you said as a reflection of what you'd perhaps want, and I'd wager you'd be first in line to move down too if that be the case.

Oh yeah, sorry my mistake, no one in CT thinks this. No one in CT refers to the mountain as theirs and celebrates CTs "victory" when mine dump in drag, sorry Table Mountain, gets voted as one of the new wonders of the world (based on votes on the internet no less), but they all celebrate South Africa's victory. They all feel African... they hardly ever refer to us and them...

Always "a mate in the UK"....bla bla barf nobody cares. Who is your friend and what makes his opinion so worthy?

Would you like his number? You are free to have a chat to him if you so desire but again, no doubt, your few days spent here three weeks ago are the only criteria on which anyone should base their perceptions of Durban, as blinkered and self fulfilling as they are.

Now, Clint, READ my post again, this time with your little terrier dog blinkers off. I only said CT is perfect from March onwards. You chose to make this an "us>them" situ.

Oh really?! Maybe you should read your own post or concentrate a little better next time you type and I clearly read this :

Still, CT wins hands down in the socio-political, lifestyle and just about everything else departments.

After kindly offering Durban winter but with the added input of it only being suitable for meth heads!

Also, I know for a fact that CT has better riding than the rest of the country. You can't just mention one or two places you have and expect to compete. Unless of course you have ridden here?

The fact that one of the places I mentioned is actually an entire region obviously means little to you as you once again see/hear/smell what you choose to fulfil your needs. You also did not say it is far better riding in CT but rather referred to the riding in Durban, and elsewhere I assume, as "namby pamby groomed jeep track", so instead of challenging me perhaps you'd be so kind as to point out why you feel this way about riding in KZN? Back up your statements.

Lastly, Clint, it's OUR ocean. It belongs to us all. Come have a swim some time. It's not as cold as you think, and the girls tanning are awesome.

Not as cold as I think?! Ha ha, that statement makes me assume you think I have never been to CT! It is in SA, mate, I don't need a passport or a visa to get there, I can go whenever I desire. But then I have seen the mountain and Robben island so no need to go back for a while.

By the way, here are a few snaps of the "dump" from the last few months... I could add some of inland destinations like the midlands and the 'Berg but that would mean digging onto my external hard drive and it's really not worth the effort when you already know it is all a dump anyway.

post-28653-0-07510500-1324566635.jpg

Edited by Clint_ZA

hahaha, clint, thanks for the essay. 10 points for trying. I love your little bit about emigrating! It's cute, something my mum would say.

hey I love those half dead palm trees in the photos by the way. They look great. I saw a seagull who'd made a little birdy 'penthouse' on top of one when I was at your awesome amazing promenade. haha

Anyway, Rob has made his intentions on this forum apparent on most of the threads in which I have seen him interact so I personally am going to choose not to engage him. Seems the insults are not far off with this one.

All parts of South Africa have their own unique attributes which is what makes this country awesome. Those who feel their little city is far superior to anywhere else probably also look in the mirror every morning and tell themselves how stunning they are...

Edited by Clint_ZA

Taken after riding up past the golf course, up through the forest and into silvermine round the peak far left and down Ou kaapse weg (needed to get to work on time)

Cape Town is the place to be.

Tarmac.

I hope you posted this in Dangle's photo thread thing mate!

What did you take that with? Phone or proper camera? (Not that phones don't have 'proper' cameras now)

Anyway, Rob has made his intentions on this forum apparent on most of the threads in which I have seen him interact so I personally am going to choose not to engage him. Seems the insults are not far off with this one.

All parts of South Africa have their own unique attributes which is what makes this country awesome. Those who feel their little city is far superior to anywhere else probably also look in the mirror every morning and tell themselves how stunning they are...

There's always one dude!

It makes life interesting.

clint, Durban is a dump. Get over it. You can sprinkle hundreds and thousands over it all you like, it's become smelly, dangerous eyesore, and very far from the place I grew up in. Strange though, as I have a number of friends here from Durban and they say the same. Cape town has its problems too, but it's on the up, and yes, we have the DA to thank for that.

So what? don't engage me then. I'd be happier for it seriously. Use the block function, it's in the settings. Be sure to come say Hi if you're in CT ever. Drongo, the same goes for you. Block function. I've done the same.

Edited by rob_mtb

What did you take that with? Phone or proper camera? (Not that phones don't have 'proper' cameras now)

From my unprofessional, but enthusiastic, photography perspective it looks like there has definitely been some post shoot editing done there or else the use of HDR.

Edited by Clint_ZA

There's always one dude!

It makes life interesting.

Trouble is that I need to teach myself not to engage them. I usually take the bait hook line and sinker. I love a good argument but the trouble with these types is it is hardly ever a good argument...