Interesting......

Andymann

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: - it doesn't?

Now there's a marketing gap hey.? :D Thanks I will be in CT next month again so I will go test some other types of beer they produce.

They already have, Beer/ Cup Holder (scroll down to Electra Cup Holder) just need to be careful not to spill

Agree.

Sitting on someone's wheels at high speed in a group waiting for some movement for the coming hill is a totally brainless exercise...

I suppose you are right, if you have to be conciously thinking about when that attack or movement occurs, you would probably react to slowly to make the selection. It should be instinctive almost subconcious (totally brainless).

If you don't have some brain cells working on the next problem already, then I suppose racing is not for you.

Now let me sip at my coffee and get back to my chess game........

Guest Omega Man

There are fewer 29ers in the UK, because poms who get into cycling buy roadbikes (Cervelo, Specialized and Dogmas) The few MTBers you get ride AM bikes with flat pedals. They also wear hoodies and baggys. On the continent I guess MTBing is a bit smaller than road cycling, hence fewer 29ers.

What's wrong with AM bikes, hoodies and flat pedals?

With respect. You are totally wrong. It's got nothing to do with chavs in hoodies and mtb being small in Europe. Mountain biking is HUGE over there. There are fewer 29ers in the UK and Europe because they are REAL MOUNTAIN BIKERS and they ride REAL MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS.

In South Africa the majority of "mountain biking" is just dirt road riding. It's not the same thing. 99% of South African "mountain bikers" would soil themselves if they were confronted with real mountain bike trails on real mountains.

I spent 2 weeks in the alps in June & July and saw 1 29er the whole time I was there. Owned by a loud mouthed yank. I rode INCREDIBLE single track and downhill for 2 weeks solid. That's Mountain Biking. Not the MTN "bike park" What a joke.

All of us in SA have been lead to believe that the epic and those stage races are where the progression of the sport is. It's not. The real progression in in 6 inch bikes with dropper posts. Gravity enduro. Ride up AND down. That's real mountain biking. The **** we've been suckered into accepting is cos there's no will from land owners and us to develop real mountain biking trails. So district road it is.

Edited by Omega Man

What's wrong with AM bikes and flat pedals?

With respect. You are totally wrong. It's got nothing to do with chavs in hoodies and mtb being small in Europe. Mountain biking is HUGE over there. There are fewer 29ers in the UK and Europe because they are REAL MOUNTAIN BIKERS and they ride REAL MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS.

In South Africa the majority of "mountain biking" is just dirt road riding. It's not the same thing. 99% of South African "mountain bikers" would **** themselves if they were confronted with real mountain bike trails on real mountains.

I spent 2 weeks in the alps in June & July and saw 1 29er the whole time I was there. Owned by a loud mouthed yank. I rode INCREDIBLE single track and downhill for 2 weeks solid. That's Mountain Biking. Not the MTN "bike park" What a joke.

All of us in SA have been lead to believe that the epic and those stage races are where the progression of the sport is. It's not. The real progression in in 6 inch bikes with dropper posts. Gravity enduro. Ride up AND down. That's real mountain biking. The **** we've been suckered into accepting is cos there's no will from land owners and us to develop real mountain biking trails. So district road it is.

Omega Man stop. You are going to burn in hell. Mountain biking is only racing. The Cape Epic is the ONLY real mountain bike race in the world. (especially now it has been safely canned into a more friendly format for rich people). All mountain bikes are 29ers dual suspension and carbon. If you don't own one then you are either poor or anti-establishment and therefore not welcome in South Africa. They have already started to pave the difficult sections of Groenkloof to make it safer. Panniers rust on bike shop racks. :D :blush: ;)

Guest Omega Man

Omega Man stop. You are going to burn in hell. Mountain biking is only racing. The Cape Epic is the ONLY real mountain bike race in the world. (especially now it has been safely canned into a more friendly format for rich people). All mountain bikes are 29ers dual suspension and carbon. If you don't own one then you are either poor or anti-establishment and therefore not welcome in South Africa. They have already started to pave the difficult sections of Groenkloof to make it safer. Panniers rust on bike shop racks. :D :blush: ;)

Hahaha. Ok well then if I'm not welcome in SA can I choose where to live? Take a look at the link. I want to live in a house on the M of Morzine.

http://en.lesgets.com/medias/docs/vtt/LesGets_bikepark_plan.pdf

In South Africa the majority of "mountain biking" is just dirt road riding. It's not the same thing. 99% of South African "mountain bikers" would soil themselves if they were confronted with real mountain bike trails on real mountains.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said Omega Man!

(although I'll admit that I have an unlimited access pass to the MTN Bike Park and I ride there with a 100mm bike... but that 100mm bike is an Ndiza, and I spend 90% of my time on the dirt jumps :lol:)

I just got confirmation that my new bike has been shipped to the LBS (A 26" 160mm bike which will have a dropper seatpost on and flat pedals :lol: ).

although maybe I wasted my money... maybe I should have gone for a 29er?! :P

...Naaa!...160mm of travel on a 26" rolls over way more than 100mm travel on a 29er :lol:

Edited by patches

Guest Omega Man

I just got confirmation that my new bike has been shipped to the LBS (A 26" 160mm bike which will have a dropper seatpost on and flat pedals :lol: ).

although maybe I wasted my money... maybe I should have gone for a 29er?! :P

...Naaa!...160mm of travel on a 26" rolls over way more than 100mm travel on a 29er :lol:

I hope the dropper doesn't have the words Crank and Brothers written on it. They SSSSUUUUCCKK! I know this cos I have one.

BTW. I don't have a problem with 29ers, the MTN bike park or roadies for that matter. It's just a sad indictment on South African mountain biking that people consider bolting the carbon specialized 29er onto the Land Rover Discovery and heading off to the MTN bike park to be Mountain Biking.

Edited by Omega Man

I hope the dropper doesn't have the words Crank and Brothers written on it. They SSSSUUUUCCKK! I know this cos I have one.

Nope... it has the words "Reverb" on it...

it's currently on my Ndiza... but the new AM machine will be more deserving of the service it offers.

Only problem is it's a 30.9mm, and the new bike is a 31.6mm... so I'll have to get a shim made.

Actually you people are all wrong. I am right.

Round wheels are so pre-cambian. Square wheels are really where the future of mountain biking is heading.

Never called them chavs at all, The MTB crowd over here are far more relaxed than the crowd over in SA and that is my point. They ride AM bikes and don't "race" marathons and XC stuff, like in SA. I think 29ers are aimed at XC and marathon riders, but I may be wrong.

Sorry if I upset you, but in the regular crowd I mix with , they frown on clipless pedals and lycra...they don't ride 29ers. The question was how few 29ers are sold in Europe, and I stand by what I said (which is very similar to what you said) . I never called anyone a chav, I think you were being a tad sensitive here.

Guest Omega Man

Nope... it has the words "Reverb" on it...

it's currently on my Ndiza... but the new AM machine will be more deserving of the service it offers.

Only problem is it's a 30.9mm, and the new bike is a 31.6mm... so I'll have to get a shim made.

You can get shims from CRC. Metal and plastic shims. I had one on my Turner and it worked just fine. And they are cheap. The Reverb really is the best dropper. I'm probably gonna get a KS 150mm lever one when the money comes. It's got the right amount of drop for what I want and i don't want clutter on my bar. Plus I can have a little scratch when lowering or raising my seat. hehehe.

2nd day back at the office and I drop in for a visit to find this!

The whole rant and rave reminds me of a thread started by the editor of Tread Magazine:

DIRT ROADIES! hahahah :clap:

Now my chance to stur.......

TZMtb sounds like a guy from Joburg. I think he should change his name to TZRoadie rather.

Sorry to say cycling is a "rich boys club" already. When people point out that it is elitist and inaccessible to middle to lower income groups, then TZRoadie and his friends will deny it. Face facts entry fees are already impossibly expensive. Every week there is a new "invention" that reduces rider input, such as carbon frames, dual suspension, 29er wheels ext ext, all more expensive than the next. How anyone can keep up is beyond comprehension.

Next point is a comment made by a runner (Jef Galloway I think) who stated that people start running for fitness, then recreation and after a while they race. Finaly running defines them rather than being just an activity.

This mental/spiritual development however seems to be lacking in many South Africans. They somehow get caught on the racing stage, which is sad because when they cannot race anymore, often they quit the sport, giving nothing back to future generations. (Simple selfish self love).

Lastly, chess is probably the purist form of competition (except for warfare). Anyone how disagrees probably does not know any chess players. Andrew Maclean, who cannot even more the pieces even has said that "cycling is like high speed chess", which is a lie because high speed chess requires more effort (mental) than cycling............

I see you are as free with your opinion here as in giving advice as to what bike to purchase. And just as misinformed.

I am Ray from Tzaneen and I am a farmer mr. Holmes. I ride both MTB and road and don't define myself by what bike I am on, I am a cyclist and you should probably change your name to stabinthedarkmaterialsexpertidiot.

I ride a carbon Raleigh which I enjoy and an alu GT HT.

What I would like to do though is play a game of chess with you. Unless you play like you reason which would then be a waste of time.