Letter in Beeld

pezulu

The crux of the letter in bold above. That is how motorists perceive us. Ons us ourselves can change that view. I somehow think we are not able to do that.

As a recent mountain biker and non road cyclist I can only agree with that perception. Unfortunately it is the arrogant cyclists you tend to remember and not the courteous ones so this is the perception that sticks.

I have all to often come across more than one cyclist riding abreast of one another on a narrow road. Of course, it gives me no right to knock them down but it does make the chances of this happening more likely. I also find, obviously as a result of the thin tyres and the existence of debris and glass etc, that road cyclists do not like to ride in the yellow lines but prefer to straddle the lanes. As a MTBer I again cannot relate to this as I make certain I am as close as possible to the road edge at all times when I do need to ride on the road.

I will add that I find it interesting that the letter writer does not mind commuter cyclists but is opposed to recreational cyclists being on the road. How do they differentiate? I presume if you are not wearing cycling kit they assume you are a commuter. And why are commuters cyclists less of a hazard?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the roadsigns are blue, it's a freeway and can't be used by cyclists. If the road signs are green, it's a national road and can be used by cyclists. Quite simple really.

I am not 100% sure about that, as far as I know where a road becomes a freeway you see this sign.

post-25686-0-14609300-1326107696.jpg

If the roadsigns are blue, it's a freeway and can't be used by cyclists. If the road signs are green, it's a national road and can be used by cyclists. Quite simple really.

ok - i am used to kzn where all N roads are freeways, wheras in the cape you dont really have freeways. But its kind of like saying drinking meth's is fine cos its not illegal. Still think it's crazy to go on their with a bike. Those chaps on the pass, I had to swerve right over to avoid them and only spotted them as i came round one of those u turns up the pass.

What i was getting across is there are an insane number of people using these major arterial routes as a primary means of cycling - and as i say it catches motorists unaware as they are not expecting it

and twice on Saturday i saw MTB'ers jump the red light..... Regardless of what they ride, some people will break the law and others not.

If I am riding on the pavement on my MTB, as I often do, then I look at the pedestrian lights when crossing...

For someone to spend as much time and effort on ensuring he is very visible, he obviously is aware of the dangers of cycling on a public and busy road, you would think he would use the same sense of logic and apply that to the most vital of pieces of safety equipment...a helmet!

safety equipment is to be used for safety. If someone decides not to use the equipment, and accepts the consequences, then so be it, its their choice. But telling someone they are a dumbass for doing it because it goes against ones owns personal rules doesnt cut it.

If I am riding on the pavement on my MTB, as I often do, then I look at the pedestrian lights when crossing...

and what is wrong with the road ?

I am not 100% sure about that, as far as I know where a road becomes a freeway you see this sign.

post-25686-0-14609300-1326107696.jpg

Uh...yes. And it's BLUE! :unsure:

Uh...yes. And it's BLUE! :unsure:

I mean I am not sure if it is a Freeway if the othere signs are also blue? Like speed signs etc?

and what is wrong with the road ?

There is nothing wrong with the roads besides what has been discussed on the preceding 5 pages. I feel my chances with a pedestrian head on are far greater than with a truck! But in this instance reference was made to MTBers shooting red lights, I pointed out that the poster may decide I am doing this too when in fact I am on the pavement and hence following the pedestrian lights.

There is nothing wrong with the roads besides what has been discussed on the preceding 5 pages. I feel my chances with a pedestrian head on are far greater than with a truck! But in this instance reference was made to MTBers shooting red lights, I pointed out that the poster may decide I am doing this too when in fact I am on the pavement and hence following the pedestrian lights.

Did you not post something about arrogant cyclists being remembered ?

So let me get the logic right. Rather than you be hurt, you will much rather hurt someone else, in the pursuit of your sport? I also wonder if you expect people to move out of your way, as you are moving faster than them? Also your bike is bigger than them. Heck, people walking on the pedestrian walk way should just move out the way. Hang on, that sounds like the motor car drivers you are complaining about?

I mean I am not sure if it is a Freeway if the othere signs are also blue? Like speed signs etc?

On a freeway, all the directional signage, etc is white type on a blue background. On national roads, the background is green.

(I guess the K53 isn't as good as the 1981 learner's licence book.)

Ok. Lemme help.

All directional signage blue - freeway.

All directional signage green - other.

Speed is black on white, red border.

On a freeway, all the directional signage, etc is white type on a blue background. On national roads, the background is green.

(I guess the K53 isn't as good as the 1981 learner's licence book.)

What he said. :thumbup:

safety equipment is to be used for safety. If someone decides not to use the equipment, and accepts the consequences, then so be it, its their choice. But telling someone they are a dumbass for doing it because it goes against ones owns personal rules doesnt cut it.

I thought by law you have to wear a helmet? But ha ha yes, how often does anyone get fined for breaking that law... Now here's a thought, if you weren't a dumbass (or whatever) for not wearing a helmet before you fell on your head, good chance of reverting to type after...

But... if it's the law, is it still your choice?

(better get back to work, all this thinking is getting too much)

I have a very strong objection to cyclists using national roads - and by national roads i mean N1 - Nx. this holiday we took a drive down to the cape and back, and I was astounded at the number of cyclists on the N2. One particular instance I saw a bunch riding two abreast going up houwhoek pass towards grabouw, and anyone familiar with that section knows how tight and narrow it is. Another case of stupidity i saw was a father and daughter taking an easy ride on the road to Hermanus - with no helmets on!

You mean that pass with the double lane and also the yellow lane which is as wide as a normal lane?! I rode up there twice and back. No problems.

Now try to explain this to me - two options out of Hermanus include going out to Stanford on a crappy road with no shoulder OR going up Houw Hoek on a wide 2-laned road, wide yellow lane and well tarred road? First option "legal" and second not. If you want to shoot me going a short distance on the N2, then so be it. My chances still better than going on the other road.

Common sense I say.

Calling someone stupid won't change anything. Rather drive a bit slower and try to not stress on the road.

Klint. Killing a pedestrian with your bicycle is a real possibility. A laaitjie riding in front of me the other day (locally), on the 'cycle path' full of pedestrians clubbed a lady. She was right sore, with a possible collar bone injury. (I was 'taking my chance' on the road.)

Did you not post something about arrogant cyclists being remembered ?

So let me get the logic right. Rather than you be hurt, you will much rather hurt someone else, in the pursuit of your sport? I also wonder if you expect people to move out of your way, as you are moving faster than them? Also your bike is bigger than them. Heck, people walking on the pedestrian walk way should just move out the way. Hang on, that sounds like the motor car drivers you are complaining about?

Cycling on pavements

It is not recommended * that you ride on pavements. However, when riding slowly with children, this is often a safe place to ride. Just be aware of cars turning in and out of driveways. At an intersection, push your bike across if you’ve reached it on the pavement.

The Road Traffic Act 29 of 1989, Section 105, relates to cyclists, but is widely regarded as out of date. Here’s a summary:

Do:

• Ride in single file, except if overtaking another pedal cycle.

• Keep at least one hand on the handlebar of your pedal cycle at all times.

• Ride on a cycle path and not the road whenever there is a cycle path available.

• Keep all the wheels of the pedal cycle in contact with the road surface at all times.

Don’t:

Ride a pedal cycle unless you are seated astride the saddle.

Take hold of any other vehicle in motion while riding your pedal cycle.

Deliberately swerve your pedal cycle from side to side.

Carry another person, animal or object which obstructs your view or prevents you from having complete control of your pedal cycle.

Bicycling Magazine’s Top 10 Cycle Safe Tips

A bicycle is classified as a vehicle, so obey all the traffic rules that motorists are expected to obey.

Make sure motorists can see you at all times.

Ride predictably and defensively, but not timidly.

Anticipate by using your eyes, ears and instinct at all times.

Use hand signals to indicate your intentions to stop or turn.

Stay calm. Getting irate with other road users can cause you more harm.

Ride in bunches whenever possible but consider other road users and ride in single file when the road is narrow or has only one lane.

Always wear a helmet.

Fit lights on the front and rear when riding in poor light conditions.

Fit an ID band to your ankle or wrist that contains contact information of your family and your medical aid details.

Cyclists who lack the relevant physical conditioning required to cover many, or even a few kilometres, are more likely to lose concentration and are therefore at a greater risk of causing, or being involved in an accident, than their fit counterparts.

*Neither is it illegal.

Edited by The Drongo