Letter in Beeld

pezulu

Mr D, never said anything about legal or recommenndddedd (;) ), but wanting to look at the logic.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... OR going up Houw Hoek on a wide 2-laned road, wide yellow lane and well tarred road?.....

Common sense I say.

Calling someone stupid won't change anything. Rather drive a bit slower and try to not stress on the road.

not to worry i am not stressed and thus acted accordingly - the stupidity was related to the father and daughter without the helmet.

as i said, i personally would avoid major arterial roads, but then i also mtb so i cant relate to the frustration of finding good road to ride

Mr D, never said anything about legal or recommenndddedd (;) ), but wanting to look at the logic.

Got that Slow.

Was driving to 4ways early last week through harties as I live a bit out of civilisation.

I passed a number of roadies who were driving in a group (max 10) who were riding side by side and were blocking traffic from passing them as it was a narrow road (same road as van gaalens)

No wonder some motorists hate us and paint us all with the same brush. :angry:

I should have pulled the middle finger, but i showed some constraint!

Oh yeah, I did spot some white lycra! :blink:

Did you not post something about arrogant cyclists being remembered ?

So let me get the logic right. Rather than you be hurt, you will much rather hurt someone else, in the pursuit of your sport? I also wonder if you expect people to move out of your way, as you are moving faster than them? Also your bike is bigger than them. Heck, people walking on the pedestrian walk way should just move out the way. Hang on, that sounds like the motor car drivers you are complaining about?

Oh dude, if you want a fight then just come right out with it and say so and we can let rip, this beating around the bush looking fro something to fight about is just tedious. You can twists my words all you want but it is tiresome.

I ride trails. Most of the time at Giba Gorge. On occasion I will ride to the said venue. In doing so I will often stick to the pavements, as discussed above, as I am fully aware of the dangers of the road and feel it is up to me to look out for myself, no one else is going to. The said pavements are NOT in the centre of Durban, they are pavements in residential areas. I can often be on these for 30 minutes before coming across a pedestrian. You will also find, if you ever rode on said pavements, that they are rather wide, often with an even larger grass area on the one side next to the properties. When approaching a pedestrian there is more than enough space to pass and as a result of me being on an all terrain MTB, and not being one of the discussed arrogant cyclists, I'll take to the grass area to pass. No harm done to anyone.

I also choose not to do my training on public roads so I am never travelling particularly fast when on the pavements. It is about getting where I am going rather than trying to break the bicycle land speed record that some seem so intent on beating (usually on substantial downhills so I don't really understand the benefit thereof?).

But well done on your assumptions and, as stated, if you are keen to argue about something just say so and stop trying to nit pick what I say.

Klint. Killing a pedestrian with your bicycle is a real possibility. A laaitjie riding in front of me the other day (locally), on the 'cycle path' full of pedestrians clubbed a lady. She was right sore, with a possible collar bone injury. (I was 'taking my chance' on the road.)

You damn right it is.Mate of mine killed an oke who weaved into the road while he was nailing it.Dead as a Dodo and the Colnago was not insured.He was upset about that :angry:

Klint. Killing a pedestrian with your bicycle is a real possibility. A laaitjie riding in front of me the other day (locally), on the 'cycle path' full of pedestrians clubbed a lady. She was right sore, with a possible collar bone injury. (I was 'taking my chance' on the road.)

With a "C" please ;)

Read my previous post as I tend to be in full agreement with it being idiotic to cycle on a pavement "full of pedestrians". There are pavements (central Durban) and then there are pavements (residential areas).

Although I do seriously call crap on your assertion that I could possibly kill a pedestrian based on my riding habits when on the said pavements. Injure for sure but to kill would take a "lucky" strike. If I am heading down hill, and my speed is likely to increase, I will ride on the road for that stretch. This is partly to do with the safety of pedestrians at this higher speed but more to do with me being able to avoid obstacles that are present (bumps/steps etc at each driveway for example) and said pedestrians.

But anyway, this is all besides the point. I was responding to the individual who stated that he saw MTBers shooting red robots. I offered a reason I might be spotted appearing to do the same.

You damn right it is.Mate of mine killed an oke who weaved into the road while he was nailing it.Dead as a Dodo and the Colnago was not insured.He was upset about that :angry:

Hold on, you changed the scenario dramatically there.

Hold on, you changed the scenario dramatically there.

Ge ????

Does not really what the scenario.All I am saying that a bike t boning someone can make a serious dent

Oh dude, if you want a fight then just come right out with it and say so and we can let rip, this beating around the bush looking fro something to fight about is just tedious. You can twists my words all you want but it is tiresome.

I ride trails. Most of the time at Giba Gorge. On occasion I will ride to the said venue. In doing so I will often stick to the pavements, as discussed above, as I am fully aware of the dangers of the road and feel it is up to me to look out for myself, no one else is going to. The said pavements are NOT in the centre of Durban, they are pavements in residential areas. I can often be on these for 30 minutes before coming across a pedestrian. You will also find, if you ever rode on said pavements, that they are rather wide, often with an even larger grass area on the one side next to the properties. When approaching a pedestrian there is more than enough space to pass and as a result of me being on an all terrain MTB, and not being one of the discussed arrogant cyclists, I'll take to the grass area to pass. No harm done to anyone.

I also choose not to do my training on public roads so I am never travelling particularly fast when on the pavements. It is about getting where I am going rather than trying to break the bicycle land speed record that some seem so intent on beating (usually on substantial downhills so I don't really understand the benefit thereof?).

But well done on your assumptions and, as stated, if you are keen to argue about something just say so and stop trying to nit pick what I say.

Not trying to nit pick, but getting at your reasoning. You are saying that some pavements are more suited to cycling on that others. Does this mean, that some roads are better suited for cars than others ?

Not trying to nit pick, but getting at your reasoning. You are saying that some pavements are more suited to cycling on that others. Does this mean, that some roads are better suited for cars than others ?

I would say yes some pavements are better suited if there are less pedestrians using it. But what is the point of your second question?