Sika flex - alternative to rim tape?

Doggone

I have read on the Wilddog adventure motorcycles forum of a way in which some of the chaps have converted their KTM rims to tubeless using Sika-flex and have been wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Apparently the rim needs to be cleaned thoroughly arfound the spoke nipples as that is where the sika-flex needs to adhere. Once clean and dry just apply a blob over each nipple and spread slightly to ensure proper adhesion and leave to set.

Then fit tyre and inject sealant as normal and it should work. In motorcycles they dont use sealant as tyres seal properly on the rims. This indicates to me that the sika-flex might me superior to rimtape as it is tough and will not be easily damaged when removing a tyre as I have done while repairing a flat before.

I want to try this some time when my next tubeless maintenance top up is due in a month or so unless someone else beats me to it. If you do, please let us know if it works.

Interesting idea, but it could be a problem if you need to replace a spoke? I would definitely be interested in a more affordable alternative to rim tape.

I have never replaced a spoke but I assume you would just seal it with sika-flex after the repair. If the repair leaves a small hole in the sika-flex the slime might plug it automatically? Not sure? Won't know until we try it.

Interesting idea, but it could be a problem if you need to replace a spoke? I would definitely be interested in a more affordable alternative to rim tape.

A more affordable route is a normal tube with removable valve core.

A more affordable route is a normal tube with removable valve core.

Are these shraeder tubes? Presta tubes with removable valves would be cool.

Can't see any reason why presta would not work. I run similar pressures on my adventure bike to my mtb .

Are these shraeder tubes? Presta tubes with removable valves would be cool.

Schrader valves are all removable but I'm taking rather about Presta valves.

Continental make 20" tubes with removable valve cores that are ideal for tubeless conversions.

Edited by Thug

I've just bought some 20 inch tube for a ghetto convrsion after a tubeless valve gave out.

But I have to admit... The sika flex thing has me wondering... No more battling with rim strips and trying to get the tire seated. A blob of formula would fix it all... Will try it on my dh bike first.

Sikaflex is used to adhere windscreens to the body of a car. The real sikaflex is not in a plastictube like silicon but in a mould same as a French polony. Beware using it as it makes a good old mess and if spilled on a carpet you are stuffed. Once it dries it is as hard as rock and removing a broken spoke will be a problem. You will have to ensure that if you use it to clean the area very well. Yes it will work but so will normal silicone. Have done it with marine silicone and it worked very well. Sikaflex is just an expensive option. My recommendation would be silicone.

Sikaflex is used to adhere windscreens to the body of a car. The real sikaflex is not in a plastictube like silicon but in a mould same as a French polony. Beware using it as it makes a good old mess and if spilled on a carpet you are stuffed. Once it dries it is as hard as rock and removing a broken spoke will be a problem. You will have to ensure that if you use it to clean the area very well. Yes it will work but so will normal silicone. Have done it with marine silicone and it worked very well. Sikaflex is just an expensive option. My recommendation would be silicone.

I'd try it with silicone as well, but I just read the oke's tutorial on wilddog's, and he's got over 25000km on a motorbike with his method, so it clearly works to.

On the question of the spokes and crap, one of the wilddog's summed it up best:

"I love it when something just gets done and it works. Me, well I sit and think - "what if I need to tighten a spoke? Then the sika will get damaged and I have to get back in there to repair sika. That could be messy."

But perhaps I complicate things. "

hmmmmmm..... I had the idea of doing the bakkie lining on my Tenere 660Z's wheels but the Sikaflex idea is the bomb!

Will need to find time to get both wheels off and do the Sika thing..... thankfully my boet works at a bike shop and they have the pneumatic tyre removal tools :thumbup:

I have had one rear puncture so far and it wasn't fun! :thumbdown:

So I went for a ride this morning and my valve started leaking around the rim opening. Came home and decided to try the Sikaflex option. What a job to clean the Joe's kit off the rim. Turps, then degreaser then benzine. Blow dry with compressor and applied the sikaflex. Now we wait for it to set. Lets see what happens. . . . . . . . :)

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, what about wheel/spoke maintenance? Rim tape is really no hassle, and I have never had any leaking problems. Just follow the correct procedures.