Too Close for comfort

predictor007

Went on a 2 hour base ride with my 14 year old daughter this morning.

5km into the ride a tractor with trailor approached from the back.

He did not slow down and overtook in oncoming traffic then was forced to push my daughter off the road.

Please note these are the midvaal roads that is really quite.

on the way back we had a situation turning into Henley where a car with trailor wanted to turn right, cars were coming from the front and I just got that crappy feeling.

I looked back and saw a truck from behind and then the drivers eyes and knew.

He was traveling way over 60 and my daughter and I was in his evation path.

Car and trailor or cyclist??????

We have a rule and she knows when I say truck off she gets as far as possible of the road as quickly as possible irrespective of the condition of the shoulder.

I watched as she ditched and also ditched myself. His outside wheel went off the road and he almost hit the car and drove exactly where we were just a second before.

He just missed me and he was still doing at least 40 when he left the road totally and managed to get back on and just kept on driving.

This was my closest so far and this with my daughter on the ride

We made our way through Henley and passed the Net of Christ church just as they were finishing.

A guy backed up out of his parking and once again I found myself off the road.

The guy looked at me waved and rode off.

I got back on the road a lityle p!$$ed by now.

Now we had everyone leaving the church passing us. My daughter was in fron and I have a little thing I do with my hand when a car comes from behind.

I thank them before they get to me and in gesture ask them to keep distance. I then leave my hand out there about 30cm from my body. I also half wheel my daughter to create some space for her. Most cars respond well and keep well right

I heard another car from behind and did all of the above. This time it did not help. An old fart managed to just miss my hand and just missed my daughter with an open road from the front.

I got home now very upset only to hear that 2 cyclist got taken out in the stonehaven race this morning by a car towing a caravan.

Any news on this?

What now?

Home trainers, midvaal race track and group rides.

SAD DAY INDEED.

Stay Save all and watch your 6.

All of that on one ride?

Dare I say it, are you 100% innocent ea time?

We've all had close calls, but that many on one ride. So much of the hecticnes

Daniel, have you ever cycled on the road with your children? If you had, you'll know how it OPENS your eyes to the ever present dangers that we manage to ignore most of the time when we ride alone. Don't give the OP trouble over his post. It is very topical and worthy of some discussion. I sometimes wonder whether I should encourage my own children to ride road, or rather get them to stick to mtb for the exact same reason. I'm riding tandem with my son and it makes my skin crawl every time I hear a car approaching from behind, not knowing whether the driver is talking on his cellphone, drunk, drugged, stupid or just angry at the world (or all of these together).

(I'll take one suggestion to heart: That is to establish an emergency signal, for my other boy who rides his own bike, to get OFF the road ASAP.)

Nope, all that I'm raising is the number of incidents on one ride.

A close call or two on one ride is "normal" sadly, but like six?

Hi Daniel,

Noted and thus me posting about this for the first time in many years of cycling.

I am one of those guys that actually stop at stop streets even with my car.

I have done many hours of cycling in many years but this morning was just weird.

Just seems like no one cares anymore.

We were camping for a couple of weeks down in Durban and 1 rider came back from a ride after a motorcycle knocked him off.

Just seems like it is not getting any better only more dangerous and that the reason for my question about riding on the road with or without your kids.

this is the reason i ditched the road and tri bike like 15 years ago.went with my son for a nice ride on the mtb this morning.took my neighbour and his son along(they bought their first bikes this week after 2 years of me nagging).my neighbour fell and i told him that when you fall off the mtb it is normally your fault and the chance of being hit by a car on adrians everest in majik forrest is like zero.i realy feel for you predictor 007 as no one should have a ride like yours today.

Yep, agreed

**** is getting outta hand.

But, as cyclists, do we just recoil in fear and rather ride single track?

We smash the single track until the bastards are waiting there in the bushes with knives.

It's not a winning situation until we change our mentality, and that of other road users.

my son ride raod & track , i ride road and will be doing the Argus on a tandem with my daughter. we never ride on our own.......always with the club that i belong to.

Noted Daniel,

My Daughter rides for a well known club and she has won some races in category.

We have done all the big rides on tandem and we have spent countless hours in the saddle.

I would not change that for anything in the world and no money can buy these experiences.

This morning however was just to close for comfort.

I still want all of this for many years to come and not be the statistic that finally gets the authories to start taking action.

Life is all about choises and it will be a very bitter pill to swallow should something happen to my only daughter in a sport that gave us so much so far.

For now at least it is indoor trainer, midvaal racing course and club rides.

No more Sunday midmorning outrides until something changes for the better.

Sorry to hear what happened man, but at the same time glad you are safe!

I used to ride motorcycle in the road, had a couple of close calls and moved to offroad.

I also used to cycle on road, same thing, more than a few close calls including a motorist threatening to run us of the road for riding 2 together on a road that has maybe 1 car pass you every our. Soon after i sold the road bike, and now look at getting into mtb! I am trying to stay as far from tar as possible!!

this is why, when i am forced to ride on the road, i ride on the right-hand side so i can see what's coming towards me and be able to take evasive action long before it becomes a situation.

All of that on one ride?

Dare I say it, are you 100% innocent ea time?

We've all had close calls, but that many on one ride. So much of the hecticnes

:thumbdown: comment

Hi Daniel,

Noted and thus me posting about this for the first time in many years of cycling.

I am one of those guys that actually stop at stop streets even with my car.

I have done many hours of cycling in many years but this morning was just weird.

Just seems like no one cares anymore.

We were camping for a couple of weeks down in Durban and 1 rider came back from a ride after a motorcycle knocked him off.

Just seems like it is not getting any better only more dangerous and that the reason for my question about riding on the road with or without your kids.

Agreed. A couple of years ago, I'd have also asked if you weren't at fault once or twice, but as you say, these days (and especially this time of year) it appears to be getting worse. Days like you describe are all to common for me as well.