what is the purpose of bar-ends?

kamikaze

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be sure to run all my cycling related issues by you first @kamikaze............looks like you know it all!thumbdown.gif

On top of your cycling knowledge, you obviously know a fair bit about sexuality and like a real man should, you belittle women and people that are not as manly as yourself (in your opinion at least!)

Grow up!cursing.gif

@Kamikaze... bwahahahaha laugh.png

as for the comfort thing... if normal hand position was that unbearable then I'm sure the enduro-rally riding scene would have bar ends for their bikes too. I'm pretty sure a day of dakar or romaniacs is way more harsh on one's hands than a day of epic or sani

Now, how would they have throttle control with Bar Ends? Seeing some holes in your argument yet?

Just another riding position, I have always used bar ends, hell, I even have them on my risers.

Ai. Kamakazi you noob!

It is simple. When you stand while climbing, it moves your body forward, which will stop the front end from lifting. Plus, as said before, it aids in power transfer.

And another thing boet - try this. Clench your left hand in a fist. Hold it horisontal. Feel the muscles in your forearm (If you have any). Now, change to position to vertical like you would holding onto a bar end. Feel the difference?

Oh and Patches, riding the Dakar on a bike can not be compared to riding a bicycle in the Epic.

Edited by The real MJ

other than only existing for those guys who continually look for ways to bling their bikes (and in doing so keep adding k@k that makes it HEAVIER), what is the purpose of bar-ends!?!?!?!

i have looked at these, even tried using them, but i still can't figure out what they are supposed to do.

all they did was catch on trees, bushes, and on clothing, and make loading the bike on bike racks even more annoying as they get caught on EVERYTHING!

sure, maybe, just maybe if you are in the lead peleton on the epic you might argue they have a use, but what is the use to the high-saddle & spandex weekend warriors ?

and dont say "because my hands get sore and i like changing the position".

if that's the case, grow a pair of balls, i have never experienced sore hands, ever.

on top of that, they have started shaping them to look like sex toys for gays. and i just LOVE those new grips that go along with them, you know, the ones that have extra wings for comfort, just like a maxi pad.

maxi pads:

post-8154-0-87079000-1326621769.jpg

dildo-ends aka "the violator":

post-8154-0-86875900-1326621785.jpg

the "anal-bead":

post-8154-0-20082600-1326621827.jpg

They are comfortable. End of story, different strokes for different folks

Since you are so familiar with these sex toys and sounding quite frustrated, I suggest you and your boyfriend go play a bit in the mud together

Aerodynamics - effectively bar ends serve as lateral spoilers. This is why you will see guys paper clip their love handles flat so as to create a winged downforce whilst riding.

Brilliant!

Hahaha!

On those big climbs its better to take the bull by its horns. Same as dem hoodz on a road bike. Also alternative hand positions on the long haul, relief from numbness. Don't have them on my AM bike but the marathon machine, yes. And my pavement warrior.

I had bar ends on my first mountain bike dating back to 1995 or so. Nothing blingy back then! I find them useful, if you catch trees with them then rather hone your skills and learn to judge distances and angles! They also keep your controls free of the ground when you tip the bike over to do a repair on a wheel or chain etc.

OK, i've heard some convincing arguments, but nothing yet that makes any sense

Edited by kamikaze

OK, i've heard some convincing arguments, but nothing yet that makes any sense

Especially the dumb @ss comments from the OP....

Edited by jmaccelari

Give them a try and and if you don't like them take them off.

My bar ends have taken a few knocks and my hands are still fine,so they actually offer some protection.

Edited by gummibear

I used to ride with bar ends, took them off only because I like having my hands right on the ends of the bars for more control. I must say since I have taken them off my techinical riding has improved, but my hands get sore after a while whistling.gif