Chain tension

divernick

Chain tension  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How do you tension your chain on your SS?

• Sprung tensioner
    • Non-sprung tensioner
    • EBB
    • Horizontal dropouts
    • Sliding dropouts
    • Magic gear

Hey guys

I tried all the tension type stuff, but found this to work best (on Iron's suggestion);

Blackspire tensioner

This is a BB mounted chain guide, but with the right attitude (patience and perseverance), you can use it as a simple chain "tensioner", static of course.

You will have to "trial and error" on the angle before you lock the external BB cup.

TIP, place the chainguide against the frame, and then the spacer and crank, otherwise the tensioner angle will change when you torque the BB cup.

Using mine now for a while, and found this the best solution.

post-19310-0-69105000-1330938022.jpg

Easy installation and adjustment, as well as THAT TRUE SS LOOK, at the rear...

Yeah baby

Shouldt the chain go on the inside, seen a few guys use that for their SS, but would think chain is a bit more protected when running it on the inside.

http://www.chainconveyordesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Blackspire-Stinger-Chain-Tensioner.jpg

Edited by braailegend

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldt the chain go on the inside, seen a few guys use that for their SS, but would think chain is a bit more protected when running it on the inside.

http://www.chainconveyordesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Blackspire-Stinger-Chain-Tensioner.jpg

As you can see in the pic there is a bash ring installed. I would imagine you wouldn't be able to pull the tensioner wheel closer as the bash is in the way.

Just my thought.

I am going to be doing the same set up as pet the pics braai legend had commented on and I agree with his comments on the position of the guide

Finished a SS two weekends ago and had the same issue , as soon as you jump out of the saddle it feels like the chain jumps and skips a few teeth . I replaced all the blades (chain was new) but same . Then I saw IT !! The link I used on the chain caused a "stiff" link and this caused all this problems . Got no idea why I only feel it with power on the DT but bikes fixed and owned happy .

Forgot to add , look at where chain goes around tensioner .

Hmmm that is a very good point, I did use a 8 speed quick link on my ss specific chain!!! Ill take it out today and see what happens!! thanks for the help!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Question...

What is the correct chain tension for a single speed MTB.

My Trek Stache has sliding "strangle hold" drop outs, which are very easy to adjust.

My chain was jumping of the cog on steep, bumpy climbed when I an out the saddle and grinding. I retensioned the chain this morning till there was just a few millimeters movement  in the chain, basically as tight as it can go with out binding. But when riding today it was still jumping off the cog on bumpy climbs under power…?

Any suggestions?