Stans Crest 29ers

cwisking

Hey guys,

any heavier riders ridden these rims yet. just wondering cos they have a quoted max rider weight of 90kgs, which is darn low. and im +- 100kg. anybody think they will be alright?

oh i do plan on dropping down to 90kg's in the next 2-3 months, but will they hold up until then?

Why not opt for ZTR Arch, i'm 100kg+ and have a pair on my 29'er and they are still true after 6 months.

Get JB to build a pair for you - you won't regret it. He built some road wheels for me in 09, and i haven't looked back. I started at 100plus, and have never had to true them.

Go with the Arch rims. I have them (though I am only 68kg's) and very happy with them. Sure, they are a tad heavier, but stiffer. At 90-100 kg's you'd want the Arch's - there is nothing much to gain by going for the Crest's, and more to gain by going for the Arch's. But if 150-200g is more important than stiffness and confidence, then just ignore my 2c :-)

I have the crests and weigh 105kg. Wish i had saved my money. They recon with the right spokes etc these rims have no weigh limit. They flex like a rubber band!!!! When i stood to climb or braked into a corner the front wheel would flex so much that the tire would rub on the fork.

Im weighing in at 93kg's at the moment, running the crests on Hope hubs, granted I ride quite hard, but I have just had to replace my front rim and the back one is going in today for trueing, I have had them for about a month. So id say depends on how hard you ride, if you ride district roads etc then no issue, but if you enjoy steep rocky descents with a bit of air time, stay away. Thats my opinion.

Hey guys,

any heavier riders ridden these rims yet. just wondering cos they have a quoted max rider weight of 90kgs, which is darn low. and im +- 100kg. anybody think they will be alright?

oh i do plan on dropping down to 90kg's in the next 2-3 months, but will they hold up until then?

There is no really accurate answer, but it would depend on what bike you are riding (full suss or hard tail) and what sort of riding and terrain you do.

Perhaps a good compromise is a Crest front and Arch rear.

But without a good wheel builder, you are wasting your time anyway...

(The ZTR Crest wheelset has an 85kg weight limit, while the Arch has a 105kg weight limit)

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-29er-Stock-Wheelset-P452C31.aspx

ive been told that the reason they Crest wheelset has a weight limit is because of the hubs, and the crests that i have Shimano SLX Center lock Hubs. apparently the Shimano hubs are a stronger hub.

its funny how the stans site says there is a weight limit of the wheelset, but they do not say anything about the crest rims.

btw i bought the silvervback vida 2.

http://www.silverbacklab.com/web_gallery/vida2.htm

ive been told that the reason they Crest wheelset has a weight limit is because of the hubs, and the crests that i have Shimano SLX Center lock Hubs. apparently the Shimano hubs are a stronger hub.

its funny how the stans site says there is a weight limit of the wheelset, but they do not say anything about the crest rims.

btw i bought the silvervback vida 2.

http://www.silverbacklab.com/web_gallery/vida2.htm

Well, let us know how they hold out under you.

Happy riding!