How difficult is it to build up your own bike?

walkerr

The guys are getting too technical....

Shifter, bobbejaan and for the tricky bits, a hammer :eek:

Jokes aside, Do It. You'll learn and enjoy the process and appreciate the bike much more.

Generally, there's not much harm you can do if you place intelligence before force.

Enjoy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but now I'm going to disagree with you.

There's only ONE option - CAMPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go compact if you must even though at 47 you still at the prime, if you were 87 then I'd understand.

Every now and then I ride with a 63yr old and he's got a normal crank and his cassette must be a 11-23 but could be a 11-21, you must see this man climb.

So there's no excuse for a 47yr old man :D :D

Haha - cheers! I keep forgetting the HTFU rule #5 ;)

As before, my heart is saying Campag ....

Haha - cheers! I keep forgetting the HTFU rule #5 ;)

As before, my heart is saying Campag ....

My whole being said Campy. My wallet said Force :thumbdown: That being said, I am loving the Force groupo. :thumbup:

My whole being said Campy. My wallet said Force :thumbdown: That being said, I am loving the Force groupo. :thumbup:

Cool - cheers, I'll bear that in mind when the screams from my wallet (or partner) get too loud to ignore

Have built up bikes myself and had them built up. Rather do it yourself, but expect to spend a LOT OF TIME researching things and quite a few frustrating or painful moments.

Very easy.... I built ny dh bike up, and it was a breeze. Okay, I didn't build the wheels, but did everything else on the bike. Really, really easy. The only really specialized piece if kit you need is a bb spanner and a torque wrench (especially for those ti frames) and a few Allen keys and grease, and you're a for away.

I bought all the new bits online, and raided a few 2nd hand stores for the bits that didn't need to be new (crank, pedals) and then painted it myself.

Now i have a bike that I love, I built myself and i can take apart and service properly, all by myself as well.

Definitely worth it.

Now i have a bike that I love, I built myself and i can take apart and service properly, all by myself as well.

Definitely worth it.

Nice one - sounds very much like the experience I'm hoping for

Having done it a few occasions I must agree with everyone that is a rewarding experience and you learn a lot along the way :thumbup:

As for tools I made use of some good quality allen keys, BB tool and a decent cable cutter. I made a 'press tool' thingamajig with threaded bar and some big ass washers for headsets like the old ones that need to be pressed in but I guess most new bikes have 'integrated' jobs. Just get the bearings in the right way and all the spacers in the right sequence and Bob's your uncle (not Bob TNT1, that could be an embarassment cause he's from the east ront) ;)

NB! MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT FOR THE BB AND PEDALS THE THREAD IS REVERSED ON ONE SIDE :nuke:

Wheel building .... ai ai ai that is the one I stay clear of, after chatting to and seeing Dangle and others build wheels there is more of a 'feel' to a well built wheel than 'science' - maybe I'm just doff but I doubt you can buy the bits (assuming you get the correct length spokes etc.) read a book and build a good wheel :unsure:

Wheel building .... ai ai ai that is the one I stay clear of, after chatting to and seeing Dangle and others build wheels there is more of a 'feel' to a well built wheel than 'science' - maybe I'm just doff but I doubt you can buy the bits (assuming you get the correct length spokes etc.) read a book and build a good wheel :unsure:

Cool - yep, I'm not so set on the whole wheel building thing as a practical step. It's more of a curiosity thing (which I know is bad for cats) ... i.e. wonder how it's done, could I learn it ....

NB! MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT FOR THE BB AND PEDALS THE THREAD IS REVERSED ON ONE SIDE :nuke:

Everybody has different ways of remembering this, but mine is: right side of the bike is right, or normal (righty tighty, lefty loosy) while the left hand side of the bike is wrong, or other way around.

Of course different countries used different threads so it might be that both are right/normal!

Everybody has different ways of remembering this, but mine is: right side of the bike is right, or normal (righty tighty, lefty loosy) while the left hand side of the bike is wrong, or other way around.

Of course different countries used different threads so it might be that both are right/normal!

Alrighty ... tighty ... ;)

Good thinking that andydude! I always go look at the shimano BB's cause they have an arrow with tighten on them :devil:

I guess you can always look at it from the aspect of the movement of the pedal arm - the forward movement is to tighten, back pedaling is to loosen? Is that right?