New Tires

leet22

I think the Maxxis High Roller 2.35 (front and back) is a good compromise for AM riding. Rolls reletively quickly (for those damn climbs) and grips like snot for the more important fun bits. Also not too heavy (I've got the LUST version).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A tad moist eh? It works well in tokai when its wet, seems to track straight on roots and rocks etc. The tread can clog up a bit in thick mud though but it flies out at speed. Into your face!

i have the exact opposite experience: slips like mad, but mine was at the rear. Not a fan of the tire in teh wet.

What kind of riding are most of you guys doing? I know Cap does mostly downhill.

I think I'm more confused now then I was before reading all the posts. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake. Do folks chop & change between tyres?

Edited by Caerus

I've got mixxis crosmark at the back and schwalbe rocket ron on the front, am pleasantly surprised with the grip on the mixxis. But the tire is now almost worn out and will be swaping it with a shwalbe racing ralph.

combo's that I've heard of are

Scwalbe rocket ron (front)/ Racing ralph (back)

mixxis, monorail (front)/ crossmark (back)

conti, mountain king (front), race king (back)

100%

I do a mix of XC and downhill, on mixed surfaces that CT offers (much like Durbs)

I find that the surfaces here get slippery at the slightest hint of rain, and so grip takes a higher priority than rolling resistance. So, I favour an aggressive tread pattern, with softer knobs up front. I also like volume a lot, so much so that should my back wheel (on the xc bike) come out of true even just by 2mm, it will rub the stays.

I'm a heavy guy as well...

I imagine I'd use the same setup in Durbs, dude, if only because it's so loamy and gets wet very easily during the summer & winter.

Minion or Weirwolf up front, depending on the bike.

100%

Niner, those combos are WAY too "soft" for the riding that Leet does. He needs something that will hold up when he pushes his Reign to the max. Not something that will give him enhanced rolling resistance on district dirt roads but no grip when the **** hits the fan, or when he drops into the singletrack giving it horns after a brief downpour.

In fact, I'd say that the only tire on that list that might suit would be the Mountain King. If he's going for a Schwalbe, it'd be the Muddy Mary that he needs to go for. Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph are just not grippy enough, and as for Crossmark... I pity da fool.

For that - you need big, soft knobs. Minion is perfect for that.

Niner, those combos are WAY too "soft" for the riding that Leet does. He needs something that will hold up when he pushes his Reign to the max. Not something that will give him enhanced rolling resistance on district dirt roads but no grip when the **** hits the fan, or when he drops into the singletrack giving it horns after a brief downpour.

In fact, I'd say that the only tire on that list that might suit would be the Mountain King. If he's going for a Schwalbe, it'd be the Muddy Mary that he needs to go for. Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph are just not grippy enough, and as for Crossmark... I pity da fool.

For that - you need big, soft knobs. Minion is perfect for that.

I dont really care for rolling resistance. i want grip coming down, the harder to pedal the fitter i will get :cursing: well i hope so. I just want grip to push the "Ratel" faster than I do now . :whistling:

I have ordered the Minion and high roller so will give them a try. if i dont like them i will try something else :thumbup:

I dont really care for rolling resistance. i want grip coming down, the harder to pedal the fitter i will get :cursing: well i hope so. I just want grip to push the "Ratel" faster than I do now . :whistling:

I have ordered the Minion and high roller so will give them a try. if i dont like them i will try something else :thumbup:

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Enhancing Rolling resistance on a Reign? Pfffffft! You wanna hit things big and hard.

You're gonna like them HR's and Minions dude. You get the Super Tacky's?

I do a mix of XC and downhill, on mixed surfaces that CT offers (much like Durbs)

I find that the surfaces here get slippery at the slightest hint of rain, and so grip takes a higher priority than rolling resistance. So, I favour an aggressive tread pattern, with softer knobs up front. I also like volume a lot, so much so that should my back wheel (on the xc bike) come out of true even just by 2mm, it will rub the stays.

I'm a heavy guy as well...

I imagine I'd use the same setup in Durbs, dude, if only because it's so loamy and gets wet very easily during the summer & winter.

Minion or Weirwolf up front, depending on the bike.

I'm on a Trance, the wet weather is a problem at the moment, but it will be starting to go into our dry season soonish. I do mostly XC(racing too) & trail riding. Looking for something that would be an all rounder I guess. I read more into the Maxxis Ardent & High Roller, and they both seem to be a good all round good tyre.

Just not happy on the Excavator 2.1, seems a bit sketchy on cornering. I also don't want to sacrifice to much rolling resistance.

Edited by Caerus

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Enhancing Rolling resistance on a Reign? Pfffffft! You wanna hit things big and hard.

You're gonna like them HR's and Minions dude. You get the Super Tacky's?

Went for the harder compund.

I'm on a Trance, the wet weather is a problem at the moment, but it will be starting to go into our dry season soonish. I do mostly XC(racing too) & trail riding. Looking for something that would be an all rounder I guess. I read more into the Maxxis Ardent & High Roller, and they both seem to be a good all round good tyre.

Just not happy on the Excavator 2.1, seems a bit sketchy on cornering. I also don't want to sacrifice to much rolling resistance.

yeah... But even when "dry" the soil in durbs is still kinda loamy, so retains a bit of moisture. You still need aggressive knobs, and an all-rounder would be something along the lines of what I have on the XC bike - a Wolverine at the back and Weirwolf at the front.

Wolverine has good rolling resistance, but still loads of grip for a rear tire. Weirwolf is a magnificent tyre at the front...