Locking your bike to your car

Swift01

Hi,

I had to do my yearly renewal for cyclesure. When they sent me the forms and policy they said I must be aware of their new policy rules. One of them being locking your bike to the car. Basically your bike when Unattended MUST be locked up at all times including through the wheels/frame and attched to either your car or an objected that can't be moved. If you don't do this they will not pay out. This is how it reads:

5. theft, loss or damage to unattended property unless secured to an immoveable object, vehicle or trailer by an approved lock and cable or chain or locked inside a vehicle or trailer and removal is accompanied by violent and forcible means.

Same applies to the wheels. If they get stolen off the bike while the actualy bike is locked up they will not pay out. All fair. I did query what happens if I am at a race and I go to the toilet leaving my bike outside the toilet and it gets taken. They replied and stated they will NOT pay out.

I also checked their rules on how you must lock your bike up and it states with either a 12mm think chain and SABS lock or 12mm steel cable with SABS lock. You can use the RavX 12mm locking cable. So when the bike is on your car it MUST be locked to the car.

I went to go buy a 12mm cable or chain, but they are so large that the chain does not fit through the loop on the back of my corsa bakkie load bay (the only place to attached the bike to the car). I then looked at the cable route. The RavX cable will not fit through the loop because of the lock. While a normal 12mm cable will fit through, once you have made the loops for the Lock on either end it will not fit through the loop.

My question is what does one do to lock their bike to the car. They have changed 4 points in the policy this year and it's all about theft and locking your bike up.

Attached is photo's of the loop in the back of the load bay on my car.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I had to do my yearly renewal for cyclesure. When they sent me the forms and policy they said I must be aware of their new policy rules. One of them being locking your bike to the car. Basically your bike when Unattended MUST be locked up at all times including through the wheels/frame and attched to either your car or an objected that can't be moved. If you don't do this they will not pay out. This is how it reads:

5. theft, loss or damage to unattended property unless secured to an immoveable object, vehicle or trailer by an approved lock and cable or chain or locked inside a vehicle or trailer and removal is accompanied by violent and forcible means.

Same applies to the wheels. If they get stolen off the bike while the actualy bike is locked up they will not pay out. All fair. I did query what happens if I am at a race and I go to the toilet leaving my bike outside the toilet and it gets taken. They replied and stated they will NOT pay out.

I also checked their rules on how you must lock your bike up and it states with either a 12mm think chain and SABS lock or 12mm steel cable with SABS lock. You can use the RavX 12mm locking cable. So when the bike is on your car it MUST be locked to the car.

I went to go buy a 12mm cable or chain, but they are so large that the chain does not fit through the loop on the back of my corsa bakkie load bay (the only place to attached the bike to the car). I then looked at the cable route. The RavX cable will not fit through the loop because of the lock. While a normal 12mm cable will fit through, once you have made the loops for the Lock on either end it will not fit through the loop.

My question is what does one do to lock their bike to the car. They have changed 4 points in the policy this year and it's all about theft and locking your bike up.

Attached is photo's of the loop in the back of the load bay on my car.

post-6018-0-04521000-1327908720.jpg

This is how i lock my bikes to my bakkie. The eye bolt is through the deck and the nuts have been welded to prevent them been undone. The cable is 12mm Ravx.

Hi,

Looks like the best solution. I have emailed cycle sure as to how I solve the problem. I will send this pic along to them and get confirmation they are happy with this method.

Walker, that's just what I would have suggested. Run the cable to the tie-down, and instead of stringing the cable through the tie-down, lock the tie down and loops of the cable together to form a secure connection.

EDIT - according to their policy wording, as long as the steel cabling is >12mm thick, and the lock is SABS approved (and big enough, like Walker's are) then it will be fine. Your tie-down point is an immovable object. Just be sure to upgrade your steel cabling to the 12mm that they stipulate!

Edited by cptmayhem

@Swift - you can get plastic shielded steel cabling (already with the loops) from your local Builders Warehouse. I got a 3m length for approx R 200 or so.That was thicker than 12mm.

its so easy to break a lock its stupid.

hardly a hindrance for theft, but anyway

Agreed. Even a Hardened Steel Shackle lock will be cut through like butter with a pair of bolt cutters used the right way.

its so easy to break a lock its stupid.

hardly a hindrance for theft, but anyway

Agreed. Even a Hardened Steel Shackle lock will be cut through like butter with a pair of bolt cutters used the right way.

Which is then termed 'violent and forcible entry/means'.

My Thule is locked to the towbar and then the bike locked to the Thule with 2 x cables

Checked with insurance and they are happy

I agree that any lock can be cut very easily by a prepared thief but it does slow them down and prevents the chancer removing the bike. I would rather not leave my bikes unattended.

Which is then termed 'violent and forcible entry/means'.

I agree that any lock can be cut very easily by a prepared thief but it does slow them down and prevents the chancer removing the bike. I would rather not leave my bikes unattended.

Absolutely. The term in the policy is aimed at making the client aware that they need to ensure that thieves are deterred from stealing their bike.

Forcible entry clause would cover the cutting / breaking of the lock and chain / cable. It just needs to be big enough that if someone were to attempt to break it, it would be obvious, and would require a bit more force than a smaller, less secure lock & chain.

Our Bosal has a locking mechanism to fasten the carrier to the towbar, and a lock on the frame clamp.

The bike is held so securely by the frame clamp that the wheels can't be turned or moved.

I wonder whether that will meet their spesifications, or whether we will need to get additional cables/locks.

As it is, the vehicle is never left unattended when we stop to refuel, visit the lavvy, or get some padkos....

Hi,

I went to builders and they had nothing bigger than 6mm. I will keep trying.

I did get a reply from cyclesure and i sent the picture to them of @walker's method. This is their reply

"The method you have explained will be acceptable if used with any SABS approved close shackle lock"

Looks like I just need to go shopping now -)