Locking your bike to your car

Swift01

Or like Outsurance when my bike was stolen ..... they said I must prove it was locked to the carrier but the combination cable lock was missing along with the bike. Anyway, they said it was stolen from an unattended car!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or like Outsurance when my bike was stolen ..... they said I must prove it was locked to the carrier but the combination cable lock was missing along with the bike. Anyway, they said it was stolen from an unattended car!!!

so im guessing you never got a cent out of them?

I just carry a broken lock and chain around with me. If anything get stolen, then I produce my "evidence".

Currently using a Thule so the bikes are locked but any thief worth his salt will have no problem stealing the bikes. I also realized that my towbar pin needs a lock.

Looked at Builders warehouse but only saw 6 mm cables and they are only 1,8m long. No way long enough to go through 3 bikes wheels and frames. Decided to make my own cables.

Found 8 mm cable. Cant imagine actually using 12mm as it will be almost impossible to bend between wheel spokes and frame without damaging them. Bought some fishpond air hose with 12 mm inside diameter to use as cover. Cable clamps and silicon tape complete the picture.

Threaded cable through hose. Looped cable and clamped ends. Ground excess thread off clamps and welded nuts to thread. Taped up ends and viola cable complete.

I insert the loops I made into the same lock I use to lock my towbar to the car. I bought 4m of cable and it ended up at 3,5m after the loops were made. Not as pretty as a bought unit but making it was fun!

Edited by Doggone