Too much Single Track?

Caerus

as hardcore and as tough as most perceive themselves to be, one can't dispute that fact that distance and fatigue can quickly eat away at ones pleasure.

Like sex?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have heard people complain about all the "good things" in the past, bottom line is , if a track is no longer pleasurable after some time then it actually becomes a waste, as hardcore and as tough as most perceive themselves to be, one can't dispute that fact that distance and fatigue can quickly eat away at ones pleasure.

Trust me ,300 + k's of Rietvlei in one day has put me off for life.

You have more then likely hit the nail on the head here, it will be way more taxing on the old legs. Thanks for the reply :thumbup:

He finished in about 2h15 so no slow riders to be stuck behind. He has become more of XC racer then a trail rider, still don't get it though. What was your time like Mr. Drongo?

I was gonna ask if was too technical, but I guess not from your reply.

About 15 on that, and NO. A plus was the removal of that damned hill from this year.... :thumbup: although that little hook up out of the forest is a killer. Reminds one that the granny gear should never have come off.

Brilliant race. Do it next year dude !

As an aside....

There were 3 guys (4) who wiped out badly just in front of me on the tricky downhill jeep track about +6 k's before the end.

One of you was seeing three fingers to my one.

I will just say, before asking, that it was a spectacular wipeout !...However, if you are out there and no longer seeing triple, how the hell are you??

I was impressed by how fast the Marshall got there (she was fairly schweet!), and the bus not far behind. Well sorted race. Kudos to the organizers.

I've been told I was one of those guys though I have no recollection of it. I do all my riding in that area and that section is not too technical (if I'm thinking of the right section). There is a gap in my memory from just below the quarry to getting into my car and driving home. The roasties and concussion tell me something bad happened! My HR monitor says I was doing 43K's when I crashed. Have you any more info? Were the eother guys OK?

I've been told I was one of those guys though I have no recollection of it. I do all my riding in that area and that section is not too technical (if I'm thinking of the right section). There is a gap in my memory from just below the quarry to getting into my car and driving home. The roasties and concussion tell me something bad happened! My HR monitor says I was doing 43K's when I crashed. Have you any more info? Were the eother guys OK?

Sheez dude !

The other two (the fourth slid out in panic) seemed to be all ok besides some grazing.

So were you the chap with the gashed arm and the triple vision???

How did you get back to the start? Did the bus/quad take you or did you pedal?

I would have stayed to patch you - serious, but the marshal was coming over the grassy rise as I started (and I was aiming for time under 2:30 :blush: ) so we put you to the side and I bolted. I would have done so if the response had not been so quick.

From what I (thought) I saw, either you, or a rider just in front lost it in the deep diagonal erosion rut and t-boned, or was t-boned, by the rider behind. Someones bike was about 5m in the air at one stage, but I am afraid I was negotiating that section myself at the time, plus thinking of braking and avoidance.

My max was 61,5 on that bit !

Glad to hear you are ok though. The way you went 'ragdoll' I kakked myself. Just monitor yourself mate, and go GP if anything seems strange in the next few days, balance, taste, hearing etc. You had SERIAAS concussion!

IMnsHO I really think that the obstacle there should have been flagged for a race!

I enjoyed Sundays ride. Bit off the pace , been working instead of training recently, but good. Must say a few times I did think a nice flat road would be nice. ST all good but the windy windy type as opposed to the easy flowing type does stuff you up. Plus impossible to drink from your bottle or get out any chow while you threading between trees and rocks. That little kicker uphill was a bit ugly. If you stopped pedaling you would fall over backwards at one point. Was quite pleased to see the finish though

The cause of the crash was a double donga on a fast forest road. Bunny hopping the first at speed would put your front wheel right into the 2nd, with the inevitable endo, cartwheel and damage. You either had to slow down or hop early to land between the dongas and hop again to carry the second. Should have been marked as dangerous (assuming signage wasn't relocated by some mischiveous locals) given the speed most approached this at. Perhaps there were marshalls there (prior to crash).

Despite your injuries Taps, you provided a service to most riders behind and prevented more crashes. Nothing like an ambulance on the route to get people sensing danger and slowing down.

Can't say I'm glad to have been of help. I don't blame the organisers but myself. I must've taken the wrong line resulting in the crash. The course was superb but tough, just as a MTB event should be.

Can't say I'm glad to have been of help. I don't blame the organisers but myself. I must've taken the wrong line resulting in the crash. The course was superb but tough, just as a MTB event should be.

Eish, get well soon :thumbup:

The cause of the crash was a double donga on a fast forest road. Bunny hopping the first at speed would put your front wheel right into the 2nd, with the inevitable endo, cartwheel and damage. You either had to slow down or hop early to land between the dongas and hop again to carry the second. Should have been marked as dangerous (assuming signage wasn't relocated by some mischiveous locals) given the speed most approached this at. Perhaps there were marshalls there (prior to crash).

was that the double donga on the road coming down from the top of hans merensky forests? by nurses dam for those who know the area.Can be quite nasty if you are not technical and/or expecting it

As for the race, I unfortunately missed it, but it gets bigger every year. A couple weeks ago there was a thread about lack of support for mtb events, well ....one of the first events of the season and over 1000 riders. come to kzn dude, no lack of support here!

was that the double donga on the road coming down from the top of hans merensky forests? by nurses dam for those who know the area.Can be quite nasty if you are not technical and/or expecting it

As for the race, I unfortunately missed it, but it gets bigger every year. A couple weeks ago there was a thread about lack of support for mtb events, well ....one of the first events of the season and over 1000 riders. come to kzn dude, no lack of support here!

And so much single track, you can even get sick of it :whistling:

The first downhill before the grass track link-up to the farm service road about 6k's before the end. Just not much left of the "forest" at the moment.

post-20304-0-53441600-1328124803.jpg

Edited by The Drongo

I find it funny that the riders here can laugh at the unfortunate ones that fell on the bermed section during W2W. As they were showing the adventure and not the race one can expect a few riders with lesser skills than than the mighty Mtb Gods on this forum having a hard time negotiating that section of the route.

Maybe just once you mighty Mtb Gods that can laugh and make fun of these riders must sit back and think of all the times you fell and made silly mistakes on a mtb.

And if you tell me you have never had a fall or never made a mistake I will know you have never really ridden your bike.

The first downhill before the grass track link-up to the farm service road about 6k's before the end. Just not much left of the "forest" at the moment.

aaah ok - i rode up there the other day - its just before you go through the gate. Will remember if I go down that bit

I find it funny that the riders here can laugh at the unfortunate ones that fell on the bermed section during W2W. As they were showing the adventure and not the race one can expect a few riders with lesser skills than than the mighty Mtb Gods on this forum having a hard time negotiating that section of the route.

Maybe just once you mighty Mtb Gods that can laugh and make fun of these riders must sit back and think of all the times you fell and made silly mistakes on a mtb.

And if you tell me you have never had a fall or never made a mistake I will know you have never really ridden your bike.

I laughed cause it was funny. You telling me you have never laughed at someone because of a mishap. Think "America's Funniest Home Videos"

I've confessed many times on the Hub to my falls and mishaps, gosh I came back from a Cape Town riding trip with more bumps and bruises then I would care to imagine. Some as ridiculous as a rock stuck in front of my tyre when I stopped that I did not see, and as I was about to take off after stopping and clipping in, I just fell sideways onto my elbow.

Check out the clip of the KZN holiday riding in Howick and listen to the guys laughing at their mates as they wiped out, its all part of the fun.

Happy Trails :thumbup: