New Crank Alignment: Complete Cyclist

BrianPivo

Bottom line is that this can happen easily with that crank, there is no just one particular way it can be installed.

Comedy of errors here, the mechanic should have spotted it, failing that the owner should have spotted it upon collection and then vented with them right there and then.

WE often get guys with Specialized S-Works cranks where this same mistake has been made.

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/photos/2006/tech/features/campaggroups2007/chorus25_600.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I don't know what is worse; a mechanic putting the crank on skew like that, or you not noticing it when you loaded the bike onto / into the car, or when you took it out, our when you put in on the trainer, or when you clipped in, or when you were riding (a few times no less) or when you put the bike away after training.

Whats worse is Mr Brunsdons story :whistling:

Edited by Caerus

• 2 months later...

We all have our opinions , but bottom line is why would the shop argue and make such a fuss over a bolt that cost a few rand ? Im sure if they simply replaced the bolt and said sorry the customer would still be a customer !! But now they are getting bad reviews and loosing income ???? Not logical

Actually, beacuse the replacement cable shrouds were unmarked and Mark told me that they were Campy, I left it at that. (The lack of logic escaped me too.) I was subsequently told that the shrouds were Shimano and that the good folk at Complete Cyclist hadn't even bothered to replace them either.

I then checked the Kuota which I had re-built at the same time at the same place and found that they also swopped from Campy to Shimano.

So, against my better judgement I wrote to Scott McKenzie in the vain hope that he would try rescue the situation. His response: "we do not agree with your view of what has taken place and believe it is in both of our interests to not have future dealings with each other. I now consider the matter closed and will not respond to any further emails". This suggests that I have actually gone ahead and swopped out all my cable outers on two bikes just to ... ? Sorry, I just couldn't finish that sentence: it would seem that I spent R1,200 on two cable sets and spent a few hours threading cables and retaping handlebars so that I could get Scott MvKenzie to admit that his mechanic (who apparently no longer works there) damaged a R250 BB nut.

Perhaps I'm spoilt and I've gone soft but I believe that a good LBS takes back their work and fixes it, even if it's weeks after they messed up. I swallow my naivety and in future I will avoid like the plague any shop that I cannot trust implicitly. How any of you guys manage with a supplier that fights you at every turn is beyond me.

To one of the posters on this one, I point out that in the many years that I have been dealing with Bruce's in Pretoria, I have never had to get sticky or assertive to have a repair seen to or re-done. No-one's work is perfect and perhaps others may have had different experiences but I am dumbfounded by Complete Cyclist's stance. Throughout all this, the most abusive I have been is on this forum. Their position is quite remarkable.

Thanks for the heads up. I for one wont use complete cyclist for anything now. The attitude stinks.

Edited by rattlesnake

Sad thing is Tim tries really hard to help customers but is often over-ruled by the powers that be!

I'll second that..

Thanks for the heads up. I for one wont use complete cyclist for anything now. The attitude stinks.

That's quite a drastic step to take, based on one person's story, from which we've heard only one side.

well, silence is golden...

Silence? I can still hear the ten year old laaitie saying "Pa, pa se cranks is nie reg nie..."

Yet to find a shop that delivers good service CONSISTENTLY.

So true. Complete cyclist has had a couple of bad remarks on the hub. Generally speaking

, I wouldn't take my bikes there just on word of mouth.

Stuff them- maybe it's in the "interest" of all hubbers not to take their business there... I wont buy/use them again, yes - simply by the one sided view...

• 2 weeks later...

Would be great if Mike or Scott would comment on the situation ? I for one will not return to Complete Cyclist .

Edited by tayler